ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-07-2013   #1
mkknight

Default LT5 PS pump pressure?

Hi guys

Im fitting an LT5 motor into a 84 Firebird
Im up rating everything mechanically on the car. Im looking into a aftermarket steering box but gonna be using the standard PS pump from the LT5.
Need to know what pressure the LT5 PS pump is putting out to know if the box im looking at is suitable.

Thanks, any other suggestions how to go about this or problems I may come across are more than welcome

Steve
mkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013   #2
vilant

Default Re: LT5 PS pump pressure?

I looked through the 90 FSM, there's a PS test procedure. It says when the engine is up to operating temp. test with a pressure gauge, open the valve and pressure should not exceed 150psi. If it does, it says check for blockages. Don't know if that helps, could post a pic of the page if you want.
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #3
mike100

My personal theory is that the somewhat high idle speed and 'idle hang' properties of the LT5 vette, in part, are an effort to keep the power steering pressure up since the ZR-1 is a little front heavy and has really wide front tires. I'd bet the pump itself is similar to most GM units.

You might consider the pulley diameter differences (if any) from the f-body accessory drive.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #4
mkknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilant View Post
I looked through the 90 FSM, there's a PS test procedure. It says when the engine is up to operating temp. test with a pressure gauge, open the valve and pressure should not exceed 150psi. If it does, it says check for blockages. Don't know if that helps, could post a pic of the page if you want.
Thanks, motors out of the car at the moment, so cant do any test procedures on a running engine. Dunno if a pic would be relevant, but if you think it is I wouldnt say no it having a look.
Im a little curious to the 150psi figure, a thread over on the thirdgen.org site plus a few google searches and I was expecting a number above 1000psi, did you mean 1500psi?

here the link to a thread on thirdgen.org post#1
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/su...-1-delphi.html
Im not looking at the 10:1 box, I think this will be to sensitive, prob looking at the 12:1 or 12.7:1 and I will be running 8 inch front wheels (245 tires)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
My personal theory is that the somewhat high idle speed and 'idle hang' properties of the LT5 vette, in part, are an effort to keep the power steering pressure up since the ZR-1 is a little front heavy and has really wide front tires. I'd bet the pump itself is similar to most GM units.

You might consider the pulley diameter differences (if any) from the f-body accessory drive.
I think I buy into your theory seems logical. Im right in thinking you guys run 275 front tires?
Very good point about the pulley diameter... thanks i'll have to look into that and what effects it has
Old 05-08-2013   #5
batchman

You sir are a brave man. Sounds like a fun challenge while being pretty far from the infrastructure we all take for granted when working on American Iron...

I humbly submit you'll want to chat up Jeff at Turn One ( info@turnone-steering.com ). Phone being not so easy from your locale, I'll suggest email should work well. Here is a fellow who knows both platforms well and he was a big help to me - and I'm certain he's approachable even if you're not shopping for a part, this stuff is just what he does.

Should you seek to lose weight, they even have an aluminum LT5 pump.

Good luck!
- Jeff
[I]91 ZR-1 #1840, autocrossing in SCCA BSP. FIC S/S's
DRM chip/Watson/Borla/lid/LW batt&headlights,
springs, shocks, pads & lines, quick rack & Turn One,
camber brace, 32/22mm sways, A/C halfway deleted
17x11 & 12 CCW's, 315 & 335 Hoosier A6s

[/I]
batchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #6
mkknight

Thanks Jeff
Brave maybe... a little crazy? defiantly! should be worth it when its all done!

Thanks I'll def get look up Jeff at Turn one... makes my project seem just that little more doable

Thanks again
Steve