ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-16-2009   #1
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default HOLY BUCKETS! IT's ALIVE!

Pete, ya shoulda been there! Holy buckets - what a ride!!

I put 'er back together today, and with a good deal of anxiety, I turned the key. It rolled over a couple seconds longer than usual - I expected that - and then VARROOOOOM! No SES lights, and the idle settled right down in about 2 seconds.

Took her out for her maiden voyage, and ran thru the gears. The difference was and incredible experience! For sure my shift point is going to be wAAAAy higher than it was before. AND, I don't have the headers SW system on yet!

Well, another member of the FBI was born today. I can't get over how it just DIGS all the way to redline, w/o any letup!

More later, but I can't thank the Brotherhood enough for all their help.

P.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009   #2
bobbyhi

Default Re: HOLY BUCKETS! IT's ALIVE!

Glad you got her back together and is running great You put a lot of hard work into your project. Congrats Maybe some fun time now???
1990 #2405 White/Gray
Haibeck chip,4:09 gears,Power Effects Exhaust,5 spoke chrome,C5 brakes,49th Street rockers,K&N,Hurst,Headers,Upper & lower ported

Minnesota State Director
Founding Member #19
bobbyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009   #3
rhipsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Pete, ya shoulda been there! Holy buckets - what a ride!!

I put 'er back together today, and with a good deal of anxiety, I turned the key. It rolled over a couple seconds longer than usual - I expected that - and then VARROOOOOM! No SES lights, and the idle settled right down in about 2 seconds.

Took her out for her maiden voyage, and ran thru the gears. The difference was and incredible experience! For sure my shift point is going to be wAAAAy higher than it was before. AND, I don't have the headers SW system on yet!

Well, another member of the FBI was born today. I can't get over how it just DIGS all the way to redline, w/o any letup!

More later, but I can't thank the Brotherhood enough for all their help.

P.
I havn't been keeping up with your project. So what have you done to it?
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009   #4
Paul Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
I havn't been keeping up with your project. So what have you done to it?
Stock 90,
P&P the top end at 36.5mm, W/ a long (as possible) taper from the head port nearly to the valve guides
Marc H chip

In the wings is the SW headers, X pipe, "Power Stick" 3" mufflers
4.xx rear end.

It was pretty healthy for a 90 before. But, man what a difference the porting made to the over-all torque curve characteristics! WooHoo! Can't wait now to bolt on the exhaust! Was it worth all the work? UUUU BETCHA!!!

P.
Old 05-16-2009   #5
rhipsher

I'm doing the same thing to my 90 as we speak. I thought the magic number to shoot for was 36mm but everybody seems to be going beyond that. Your going with 36.5mm and pete did 37+. Now is going bigger than 36mm only if your porting the heads also or not? I want to make sure I get the maximum benifit and not over look something that I should have done while it was apart. I'm still learning to.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009   #6
Paul Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
I'm doing the same thing to my 90 as we speak. I thought the magic number to shoot for was 36mm but everybody seems to be going beyond that. Your going with 36.5mm and pete did 37+. Now is going bigger than 36mm only if your porting the heads also or not? I want to make sure I get the maximum benifit and not over look something that I should have done while it was apart. I'm still learning to.
The physics in me would like to say it was a measurement derived from some in-depth analysis. But, honestly, 36.5mm (in my case) was more of a byproduct of the sanding/finishing the 36mm ports than it was a deliberate attempt at 36.5; coupled with the fact that when I asked Marc H about finished size and the "magic" 36mm diameter, Marc (and others) indicated to me that a little more is perhaps better, especially in the plenum. ("Can't be too big", is what I believe I heard him say, regarding the plenum.) And, since I eventually intend to port the heads too, and taking notes on "Quick Pete's" (beautiful) porting, I felt 36.5 was a good place to be. We'll see when I get to a dyno!

Just my observations: As for any significant difference in top end only vs. top end where the heads are also ported, it appears that several that have ported heads (and cams?) also have removed the divider between the runners in the plenum. Is that the result of some secret science known only to those with ported heads, or just the result of wringing out every bit of HP, i.e., "more is better"? It would appear, however, there is a significant difference between the porting done for a stock bottom 350 vs. porting done for say a 441! Can we say "Siamese"?

Bottom line: I haven't seen or talked to anyone indicating there is a big distinction between the finished diameters for top-end porting only vs. top end where heads are also ported, except to Siamese the plenum on a 350 cid bottom. However, there is a significant difference in the convention among tuners with regard to the IH to head transition: some being very short, and some as long as possible. I went with the latter, and we'll see what the dyno says about that!

P.