ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-06-2009   #1
vandornjim

Default What's the Value of Heritage?

It’s no secret that things are tight at GM and most other corporations right now. The big secret is how they got this way. Just last summer GM was crushing brand new stainless steel benches with forklifts. The employees pleaded with GM to allow them to be purchased, put to good use. The answer was that GM needed the "tax write off." Now, just a few months later, GM threatens to close its doors and put a strangle hold on the US economy. Could no one see outside their office windows in downtown Detroit?
So I guess it should come as no secret that now in hard times, GM has decided to get rid of a huge portion of their old project cars from the past. At this year’s Barrett Jackson auction there will be a vast collection from GM’s inner chambers offered for public sale. They call it the "GM Heritage Collection".
You know, I remember just a few years ago…OK, maybe 20 or so when GM was a completely different company. I remember when GM had creative people who dreamed, invented and made automotive history, all the while creating excitement and fame for GM. I remember those days and wonder if GM will be remembered for those contributions to automotive history, or as a company whose vision was obscured through the delaminated windshields of years gone by….
A long time ago, I went for a visit to my Dad’s work. In their main lobby were displays of years gone by, important icons which developed that company, gave it an identity, made its workforce proud to be a part of its history. It was the company’s heritage right there under glass and behind partitions. It was the weirdest looking aircraft I ever saw, and one that should never have been able to fly. But it did. It was called the Flying Wing and it was built by the Northrop Corporation way back in the 1940’s.
Jack Northrop was very much like many of those creative people at GM. He dreamed and tried new things and was years ahead of his time. He inspired his workers through his personal actions and beliefs. Jack’s first priority was to protect his workers and he had one of the most protected and fully funded retirement programs in the industry. He also didn’t ask the government for bailouts or loans. In fact, despite his advisor's wishes, Jack wouldn’t even take development money but rather, would absorb the huge costs of developing new technology rather than allow ignorant government officials to be involved and hinder progress. Because of this, Northrop was overlooked repeatedly by the Air Force and others were chosen who played the government game. Jack Northrop’s "Flying Wing" was determined to be too drastic from conventional design and ignored for future consideration.
Jack was on his death bed in the early 80’s when his executives arranged clearance for a special event. His sight, nearly gone, and laying on a hospital bed when the Northrop/Air Force team came into the room with a small covered tray. They put his hand under the cover and allowed him to feel the ever so secret contents. Rumor has it that a tear ran down Jack’s cheek and he faded off to sleep. Some 50 years after its original concept, Northrop Corporation was awarded one of the largest defense contracts in history. Based on the Flying Wing concept plane of some 50 years earlier, the B-2 "Spirit" bomber remains the most advanced bomber in the world today and has revolutionized even the most recent aircraft designs. I stood in that lobby and took it all in. What heritage!!
The Corvette has long been the icon for development within GM. I wonder when GM sells off its "heritage" how long it will take before all of those who made it great will be forgotten. Duntov and Cole, Earl and Mitchell. Perkins, McClellan, and all of those groups who invented and revolutionized. Those world records and the racing heritage. All the individuals who came together to bring the most exciting launch of a vehicle in the history of the automobile. The ZR-1 Corvette.
So GM is now cleaning out the garages of the past and rather than place these vehicles on display at various organizations representing the heritage which kept them as the leader for some 100 years, GM will sell them at public sale, to be lost forever. I looked over the list of treasures which included many Corvettes. Funny thing. I didn’t see any Allantes, Azteks, Equinox’s or Torrents on the list.
Last time I went to Detroit I took a day to visit the Henry Ford Museum, an experience I highly recommend to anyone. I was amazed at the wealth of exhibits and information of a car company so rich in American history. They’ve done a good job explaining and displaying the great heritage of the Ford. Made me proud. And when I began to make the next day’s agenda, I looked at the phone book but somehow I couldn’t find the General Motors Museum…
Jim
[B]ZR-1 Registry Member #21[/B]
Pirate Racing
NCM Life Member #399
vandornjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #2
bobbyhi

Default Re: What's the Value of Heritage?

Jim,

Very well written. It is a sad story but oh so true. IMHO selling off the "Heritage" of GM is really a bad mistake. Thanks again for the article.
1990 #2405 White/Gray
Haibeck chip,4:09 gears,Power Effects Exhaust,5 spoke chrome,C5 brakes,49th Street rockers,K&N,Hurst,Headers,Upper & lower ported

Minnesota State Director
Founding Member #19
bobbyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #3
GOLDCYLON

Its sad really. well written response to the overall situation.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #4
cuisinartvette

Guessing it may be a requirement in order for them to receive bailout money.
Old 01-06-2009   #5
Z Factor

Thanks for the thoughtful article you posted. You are not alone in being dismayed at this proposed move by GM.
Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #6
xlr8nflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Factor View Post
Thanks for the thoughtful article you posted. You are not alone in being dismayed at this proposed move by GM.
Are they getting auctioned at the BJ auction this month or some of the later shows?
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #7
vandornjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida View Post
Are they getting auctioned at the BJ auction this month or some of the later shows?
Well, the exact time/date and actual cars being offered are being kept quiet as usual but they are supposed to be in this nexty week's auction.

Ive been trying to put together a bulk purchase behind the scenes so that we can keep some of the more important icons within the community. Trying to reach Jim Perkins at Hendricks but not haveing much luck as of yet getting an email address.
Any help would be most appreciated.

These cars are very important to the Corvettes heritage and need to be at the NCM if/when it is ready for such displays. Too bad a fund couldn't be maintained at the NCM for just such opportunities.
[B]ZR-1 Registry Member #21[/B]
Pirate Racing
NCM Life Member #399
vandornjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #8
95 LT5

Hi,
Yes, it is not to pleasing for me to see them go off into the sunset, with so much history behind these cars. They really do need to be displayed in a "Public Place" where future generations of corvette owners can see where the corvette came from, and the evolution of a great car.

These cars will most likely be bought up by collectors and will never see the light of day again, not by people looking to preserve the tradition behind the corvette.

Its not just about the a car, but the people, and friends that are made by something we have all grown to love.

Yes, very sad day when they will be sold....
And to answer your question....PRICELESS.......

Good post, sad topic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20080726_9_42.jpg (127.7 KB, 19 views)

'95 ZR-1
RED/GRAY

'95 ZR-1
BLK/BLK

'89 6-Spd
FX-3,Z51
BLK/BLK
95 LT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #9
Gary Yarbrough

I agree that it is sad to think these cars could go off the radar. Ever since I was in JR high and someone drove a stingray at every homecoming, I have been a corvette fan. Although I'm fairly new to the corvette scene as an owner, my dad bought me a GMC truck when I was 14. I still drive that truck 270K miles and 15 years later. That truck made me a GM supporter! I wish my son (now three) could see some of these cars. With the changes in technology that I imagine coming by the time he is driving, they will be even more special.
Gary Yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #10
tomtom72

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on GM's issues. Jim! You're some wordsmith! Great point about the most dreaded words that an American businessman can ever hear..."Hi, I'm from the government, and we're here to help."

It's kind of like watching a friend have bad times & the mood is very glum. I feel for the people at GM. This has got to be depressing. I do really wonder if some one made GM sell the cars, or is it that they just figured a quick way to get cash?
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote