ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

View Poll Results: Have you ever driven your ZR-1 180 mph?
MANY times . . . 8 11.27%
Yes, but only once . . . 6 8.45%
Not quite, but almost . . . 36 50.70%
NEVER, you'd have to be crazy to even try . . . 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2005   #1
dsinned

Default POLL: For how many has LBA180?

The forum's motto is "Life Begins at 180 mph", but how many have actually "lived" it? If you have an interesting story to go along with your experience, please post it after you vote in the poll, so you can receive some accolades from your peers . . .

Last edited by dsinned; 08-07-2005 at 01:16 PM.
dsinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #2
Kevin

I've done it once racing a viper. There just arn't enough good roads around here to do it more than once
Old 08-07-2005   #3
dsinned

guess, I'll go first (btw, this is my all time favorite topic since becoming a members of the ZR-1 Net 10 years ago) . . .

Not only did I go 180 but I did so with dear ol' Mom along for the ride!!!

We did it in a virtually stock 1990 ZR-1 on a lonely rural highway in the Sin State of Nevada. Had a lot of running room, no other cars to worry about and plenty of straight and level pavement to make the attempt. Plenty of cops around but none interested in pulling us over (or able to catch us) and extend an invitation to spend the night in jail.

We had plenty of motivation . . . a cooler full of brewskies, and an in-car camera rolling just for subsequent bragging rights.

I believe the magic number came up about 8 miles into the attempt at about 5000 feet with high desert all around in the cool of a Sunday morn on a nice piece of highway approaching a long straight called the Battle Mountain Gold well known by many for similar perfectly legal speed trials.

Pedal to the metal as we ever so slowly continued to accelerate fast and fast - while still in 6th gear - the ZR-1 did her absolute best to not run out of breathe and rise to the challenge.

The adrenaline was already flowing when "1-7-0" first appeared . . . then "1 7 5" a few moment later. Mom was even starting to stir having been calm as a cucumber up to this point, seemingly half awake. To remind him of what has happening I shouted out the speedo's incremental changes as we sped onward.

As we came out of the hills and leveled off just before the longest of straights we both knew this was the car, the time and the place that does legends make. "1-7-7" . . . "1-7-8" . . . would we run out of straight before seeing the most revered and exhaulted number of all possible numbers in a street legal C4 Corvettte?

Just as I thought we had reached the beginning of the end just two measly miles per hour from seeing the beginning of new life, as if to be willed to go just a bit faster, to our mutual amazement . . . SHAZAM!!! We had finally broken the barrier and arrived to the moment of pure ZR-1 owners' ecstacy . . .

1 8 0 miraculously appeared as I shouted out to MOM as loud as I could, who by this time was fully awaken and noticeably excited.

The movement of glory that all ZR-1 owners seemingly aspire to had been fully achieved and duly witnessed by none other than MOM himself!!!

Mom took it in stride and promptly commeratted the ocassion by officially declaring . . .

It's Miller Time ! ! !

Epilogue: After this sterling achievement and friends had gathered all around, I remember the in-car camera that Mom had set up beforehand, but oddly, Mom did not proudly proclaimed "I got it on VIDEO!" Hum, why would he be reluctant to relive the moment on film in front of all the children? If this post has held your interest this long, I think I'll let Mom finish the story, or perhaps I merely dreamed or imagined this whole story and as we all know Mom will never lie to her children.
dsinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #4
We Gone

Only been 160 once with my son. Worst thing I ever did. 1 year later we found a good deal on a 95 LT1 so I helped him get it. Lasted 3 months and he got a ticket @ 113 did not get to drive for the next year and I sold the Vette. at least he did not hurt anyone or himself, now he drives a Honda

If I go fast now its just me

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #5
Jim Jones

Not sure I'm ready to try those speeds just yet. Of course here in Ohio there aren't enough long straights on the highway with no traffic to try that. I can only imagine the adrenaline rush!!

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/koolaid117/Montage.gif[/IMG]
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #6
Z Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Gone
Only been 160 once with my son. Worst thing I ever did. 1 year later we found a good deal on a 95 LT1 so I helped him get it. Lasted 3 months and he got a ticket @ 113 did not get to drive for the next year and I sold the Vette. at least he did not hurt anyone or himself, now he drives a Honda

If I go fast now its just me
The story you told about your son makes perfect sense. In a way, everything we do and say in front of children is a life lesson, good or bad. If you show him something you think is fun, he will at some level assume that is what he could and should do. Even if you do something like yell at someone who has cut you off, he will probably be inclined to do the same. Obviously you going very fast under the right conditions with your experience and skill is different than your teenage son doing the same, but they dont think that way.

I had a very bad habit of doing something dangerous and didn't even think twice about it. Then one day when I was questioning myself as to why I did it so often, it dawned on me that I remember my father doing it when I was a small boy. When I was doing it, it wasnt as if I had a concience thought that it was ok because he did it. As a matter of fact, until I sat myself down to figure it out, I had actually forgotten that I witnessed him doing it as a small child.

So for all the parents out there, you set the example for your children, and if you have a passion for fast cars, be careful in what you show them because as our stories point out, it can come back to haunt you.

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #7
WB9MCW

Red face Good Point Z-factor

I remember my Dad's stories about going 145 in a Jag on the Kansas Turnpike. And I remember him driving his BMW's in a spirited way. Never did he go triple digits with me in the car ever though. I still got that need 4 speed thing but I can not blame the old man 4 it! After all his fav. passions were golf and sailing! LOLOL I must have just developed the speed thing on my own. Usually when I showing off the ZR-1's performance to friends I shut her down at 100mph. Never have I have a complaint if fact they acted relieved that I didn't go any faster (esp. da wife)! JIMO
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #8
Jim Jones

I took my cousin for a ride in the Z just before he left for Okinawa in the Marines. We turned onto an entrance ramp and I hammered it up to about 105mph (barked the tires in second hehe). He really really liked it, although I think he was relieved when we slowed down even though he had a HUGE smile on his face. Of course, I did too.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #9
Mikez40

Unhappy

I never got up to 180, however I did get up to 162 mph once. I was caughting up to traffic so I had to get off it. That was a couple of years ago, and I never really had enough road to try it agian.

Now about 6 months ago I blew out my front tire going 110 MPH. I got lucky and only damaged the rim along with the tire. At that speed it is not fun when the tire blows. Lucky for me I was on a straight away and had plenty of room to slow down with out hitting the brakes. So now I am a little gun shy and have only taken it up to 120 MPH.
1993 ZR-1 #372
Black on Black
Mikez40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #10
cuisinartvette

I've had mine a whopping 2 weeks and have yet to drive it. Finally found insurance today as a matter of fact. The prior owner had it 180 with stock gearing, and with the 4.09's saw 160. I'm looking forward to running it down the track soon and at least porting the heads and intake to get "a little more". Haven't really hammered it yet, just ran through the first few gears during my test drive. Felt good, but there's plenty more power in this thing waiting to be unleashed!
cuisinartvette is offline   Reply With Quote