ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-01-2008   #1
Aurora40

Default O.... M.... G....

I'm sure you've all heard me rave and rave about my stock-looking exhaust setup... I love that thing! Stock square tips, LT4 res, 3" dynomax ultraflows. The sound is beautiful, deep, like stock only much moreso. The only issue was the resonance was like stock, only much moreso.

Finally I had had enough and ordered up a Corsa system. I don't think the tips compliment the C4 body, they are too flashy. And the tone to me is much more appropriate on my Aurora than on a 'vette. I figured, here is a system that I "like" 100% of the time, vs one I "love" 80% and "absolutely hate" 20%. It was more that I'd resigned myself to getting the Corsa. Not that I don't think they make a quality product or anything...

So I had them put on on Thursday. The guy did a great job, fit it up great, he even worked to pull the tips in as much as possible so they wouldn't look overly flashy. They look good, no doubt. But looking at my stock system discarded in the corner, well I felt bad. I even asked him how long they'd be there in case I changed my mind and wanted them put back on...

That was, up until I got in the Z and fired it up... Holy crap! The sound of the Corsa is AWESOME! It is much burblier than the old setup. And the sound comes from behind you, not from underneath the car. I seriously sometimes thought there must be some Mustang or something behind me because I was so used to the sound coming from inside the car. And the interior doesn't rattle and buzz, nor did my head. It definitely won't shake the ground though like the old one, which was kinda cool.

The sound is very different. Night and day sound quality. The Corsa is a bit higher pitched, a little tinny. And what is amazing is that there can be a lot of sound when you step into the gas, and it is burbly and screaming, yet it does not vibrate things. With the old system, sometimes I'd swear it was going to shake the car apart.

And when you floor it, look out! The sound is incredible! It sounds like shredding metal as the full note of the engine's rip is let out! I don't care what it looks like, I don't care which tips flow or don't, nor how big the pipes are. I don't even care that it was absurdly expensive for an exhaust. The thing sounds that good! I'm only sorry I didn't do it sooner!

Here's my two Corsa's:

Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #2
LGAFF

Default Re: O.... M.... G....

Schweet!

Love the red 90s, reminds me of all of the first articles that came out about the Z, seemed every test car was red. I know people tend to like the 91-95 but I think the black molding makes the car.

Great Lic plate also....and is that the 4.0 V8 Aurora?

LGAFF
92 ZR1
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #3
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
Great Lic plate also....and is that the 4.0 V8 Aurora?
Yup, the 5-time Indy 500 winning Aurora 4L V8. And those oil stains in the driveway are from our 190k mile Regal GS... (it's a simple oil pan gasket, but you have to raise the engine up to change it)
Former owner of #2517

Old 11-01-2008   #4
LGAFF

The 4.0 is the same motor used in the Shelby Series one, did you see lingenfelter had an entire Aurora Indy package on e-bay about 2 months ago, several blocks. 3 sets of heads, 4 boxes of cams, intakes, etc and it was at about $400 bid when I saw it with only a few days remaining.

LGAFF
92 ZR1
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #5
tomtom72

That's a cool pict Bob! Double overhead cam cars x 2!

I see that the tips on the Corsa are round or maybe slightly oval? I think that they look alright.....yes I do "prefer" the blacked out shape of the OE tips but the big round/oval tip look is starting to grow on me as it seems to be the "in" thing. My Cobalt has one that looks to be a refugee from the C6 assembly line...and it's growing on me....but it makes me to see it on a 4 banger!

Nice to know that the resonance in that Corsa is not an issue at 1200 to 1800 in 6th. I have an odd Q to ask about the Corsa, when they say "Cat-back" do they mean from the OE cats or from aftermarket cats, or does it make a difference? I really thank you for sharing your evaluation thoughts on the system.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #6
rhipsher

Yep. I like the red to. And my 49th street rockers.

The only color Z I like better is yellow like the one xlr8nflorida has.
And that B&B triflow is the most brutal sounding exhaust I've heard so far. And as soon as I get that govornment check from Obama It will be done. hehe! Ooops. Damn it I don't qualify.

Last edited by rhipsher; 11-01-2008 at 11:11 AM.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #7
Sgreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
I'm sure you've all heard me rave and rave about my stock-looking exhaust setup... I love that thing! Stock square tips, LT4 res, 3" dynomax ultraflows. The sound is beautiful, deep, like stock only much moreso. The only issue was the resonance was like stock, only much moreso.

Finally I had had enough and ordered up a Corsa system. I don't think the tips compliment the C4 body, they are too flashy. And the tone to me is much more appropriate on my Aurora than on a 'vette. I figured, here is a system that I "like" 100% of the time, vs one I "love" 80% and "absolutely hate" 20%. It was more that I'd resigned myself to getting the Corsa. Not that I don't think they make a quality product or anything...

So I had them put on on Thursday. The guy did a great job, fit it up great, he even worked to pull the tips in as much as possible so they wouldn't look overly flashy. They look good, no doubt. But looking at my stock system discarded in the corner, well I felt bad. I even asked him how long they'd be there in case I changed my mind and wanted them put back on...

That was, up until I got in the Z and fired it up... Holy crap! The sound of the Corsa is AWESOME! It is much burblier than the old setup. And the sound comes from behind you, not from underneath the car. I seriously sometimes thought there must be some Mustang or something behind me because I was so used to the sound coming from inside the car. And the interior doesn't rattle and buzz, nor did my head. It definitely won't shake the ground though like the old one, which was kinda cool.

The sound is very different. Night and day sound quality. The Corsa is a bit higher pitched, a little tinny. And what is amazing is that there can be a lot of sound when you step into the gas, and it is burbly and screaming, yet it does not vibrate things. With the old system, sometimes I'd swear it was going to shake the car apart.

And when you floor it, look out! The sound is incredible! It sounds like shredding metal as the full note of the engine's rip is let out! I don't care what it looks like, I don't care which tips flow or don't, nor how big the pipes are. I don't even care that it was absurdly expensive for an exhaust. The thing sounds that good! I'm only sorry I didn't do it sooner!

Here's my two Corsa's:

Yep, I played the exhaust mix and match game and came to the same conclusion. For all around great performance without resonance, Corsa rules !
Old 11-01-2008   #8
HIZNHRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
The Corsa is a bit higher pitched, a little tinny...And when you floor it, look out! The sound is incredible! It sounds like shredding metal as the full note of the engine's rip is let out!
While I can't be sure we are talking about the same thing, the tinny sound seems to go away with use. It took about 1K miles. Drive it and tell me if the sound of yours changes as well. By change, I also mean gets better.

If I have one complaint about the Corsa it's when you put your foot in it, everyone within a 5 mile radius hears you...not always a good thing

Next to the Corsa, my favorite was the Callaway Twin Double-D system that I had on my Red/Gry ZR1. There is nothing I didn't like about the Callaway system. I bought my Blk/Blk with a Borla system which with headers, I personnaly didn't care for the tone. I would call it raspy. I tried the stock system with headers and that too me was too "dry". I liked the BB (with headers) at first but we all know (not necessarily agree on) the rub with BB. To my ear, the Corsa, by far is the best.

Glad to hear you like it Bob.
HIZNHRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #9
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
Nice to know that the resonance in that Corsa is not an issue at 1200 to 1800 in 6th. I have an odd Q to ask about the Corsa, when they say "Cat-back" do they mean from the OE cats or from aftermarket cats, or does it make a difference? I really thank you for sharing your evaluation thoughts on the system.

Tom
Hey Tom, it is from the factory cats back. If you have stock manifolds, you could put it on yourself with no special tools (no welding). I had to have mine installed though, as the pipes at the front had to be shortened and have 3-bolt flanges added in order to bolt up to my headers w/ cats.

Possibly with the new SW header/cats combo that won't be true? They claim it will mate up to a factory exhaust, as they shorten the collector to get the ends in the same place as the factory. So perhaps that's a combo that would require no cutting/welding, but I don't know for sure.
Former owner of #2517

Old 11-01-2008   #10
jonszr1

gotta agree about the corsa . and with headers it has just that little more omph in the sound that makes it perfect for a cruizer . i wonder if anyone adapted an x pipe to it.?
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote