ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 10-03-2007   #1
blackjack2

Default Exhaust advice needed

Ive been reading as many threads on here and the corvette forums and a few at the corvette action center about exhaust and am still unclear on whether or not the say corsa exhaust would hook up to a pair of SSW headers with no cats. or jeal headers with a B&B exhaust again, no cats, im not too worried about noise, im used to driving a C3 with rather noisy sidepipes so almost anything else will seem quiet, im just looking for the most power, my dad has an 04 Z16 and thinks it really hot crap, i want to put him in his place, basically the most power without taking the motor apart, porting the IH's and plenum will come later along with 4.10s but for now what would you'll recommend for exhaust, i dont really want to fabricate anything as i dont have a welder.

-alex
blackjack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #2
jonszr1

Default Re: Exhaust advice needed

alot of guys like 3in . i have a 21/2 in exhaust by spin tec witha dr gas xpipe and my car runs over 119 in the 1/4 the key i think is to get rid of the resonator . 3 in i think would be good if you were porting everything inc heads. one other thing is to get your car tuned after headers . corey henderson or mark haibeck would be who i would use. go easy on dad but race him from a 20mph roll and you will smoke him. zr1s are a really good roll car.
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #3
Z Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack2
i dont really want to fabricate anything as i dont have a welder.

-alex

Hello Alex and welcome to the forum.

Your dilemma might be real if you are way out in the country, but I imagine there must be a muffler shop somewhere if you don't weld. Most of the time you need a little fab work to get everything just right, and it is quick and inexpensive.

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #4
blackjack2

thanks for your input guys, someone over at the CF has a B&B exhaust that hes trying to sell, he said its got RT cats and an SSW X-pipe, he didnt give me a price, and im not sure what its worth, he said hes had it on the car for a few years and is putting a Corsa system on cause hes getting old, any idea what his system is worth, I would remove the cats before i did anything also i dont really want to run out and drop $1k on a new exhaust if i can get a used one in decent shape for half the price, also i need some headers and from what ive read SSW are the best, any leads on some used ones in good shape?

-alex
Old 10-04-2007   #5
Bell Curve

The old B & B is very loud. The newer version is suppose to be much better.
Bell Curve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #6
A26B

In answer to your question, all of the exhaust systems you mentioned are "cat-back" design. Therefore, if you remove the cats, which are welded onto the factory header, fabrication will be required unless you just gut the cats & leave in place with the factory header. It doesn't matter which aftermarket headers you choose in this situation. Any headers you install will eliminate the factory cats.

SSW headers are readily available.
Jeal headers are not at present, unless Corey Henderson has made some very recently. He has the jigs and is planning on producing them.

Install the headers, install the exhaust and fabricate to connect as required. It's the only way to achieve your objective for headers & no cats.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #7
blackjack2

thanks for your help.

-alex
Old 10-04-2007   #8
HIZNHRZ

The old guys system is off a ZR1 with 10K original miles. The system was put on the car at 7K miles. The B&B system is not an old one (just the owner of the car is old). It was purchased in 2002. The B&B, stainless works x-pipe and, metallic core RT Cats are TIG welded into a single unit, all in perfect alignment (because the old guy is a perfectionist) and doesn't settle for second rate work.
HIZNHRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #9
blackjack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIZNHRZ
The old guys system is off a ZR1 with 10K original miles. The system was put on the car at 7K miles. The B&B system is not an old one (just the owner of the car is old). It was purchased in 2002. The B&B, stainless works x-pipe and, metallic core RT Cats are TIG welded into a single unit, all in perfect alignment (because the old guy is a perfectionist) and doesn't settle for second rate work.
by god your on both forums, and the old remark wasnt an insult.

-alex
Old 10-04-2007   #10
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell Curve
The old B & B is very loud. The newer version is suppose to be much better.
I'll let you know. Putting Watson headers with my B&B this weekend.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote