ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-14-2021   #1
hin532

Default Ford Injectors?

I am getting ready to do a plenum pull and I want to make sure I have all parts needed. The previous owner had replaced the injectors a few years before me purchasing the car so I was not considering replacing them until looking at them closer. The part number I can make out is 0280150943 which a google search shows them to be Ford injectors.

Does anyone have any experience with these injectors?IMG_3409.jpg
hin532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021   #2
spork2367

Default Re: Ford Injectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hin532 View Post
I am getting ready to do a plenum pull and I want to make sure I have all parts needed. The previous owner had replaced the injectors a few years before me purchasing the car so I was not considering replacing them until looking at them closer. The part number I can make out is 0280150943 which a google search shows them to be Ford injectors.

Does anyone have any experience with these injectors?Attachment 14865
I have put ford injectors in all sorts of vehicles over the years. Pretty much all my land rovers have ford injectors. Nothing wrong with them. Would they be my pic for the LT5...no. The only advantage is cost. These appear to be slightly lower flow than stock.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021   #3
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Quote:

Does anyone have any experience with these injectors?Attachment 14865
I have a set of those as well. I have seen them referred to as yellow tops from Z owners when talking replacement options. I installed a set on mine and they have worked well for over a year now no issues. South Bay Fuel Injectors is the site I found mine on. I believe John on FIC used to stock them but no longer does.
1991 Corvette ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021   #4
Mikey

Truth is there are many parts common when the actual supplier is a tier 1 or tier 2 automotive supplier. IIRC Bosch was making injectors for Ford SVO back then and they were compatible in multiple applications. Built LT1 motors typically used 36# SVO injectors for example. Always do tuning after injectors change.

Note that original "fat body" EV1 type injectors are very hard to find these days. Everything switched to the "pencil" thin body style in mid-90's. Those will work too but again, you must tune.

Last edited by Mikey; 03-15-2021 at 09:42 AM.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021   #5
XfireZ51

The Accels many people use, including me, are for 5.0 Mustangs.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021   #6
tpepmeie

Bosch rates those injectors at 215 cc/min at 3 bar.

I really like the Bosch design 3 injectors, all the injector characterization data is published. But I haven?t tried them with early injector housings where the primary seal is up in the housing. It might work, but it might not.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

pepmeierengines.com

Friend us on Facebook too: www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011443683384
Pepmeier Engine Development
tpepmeie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021   #7
hin532

Sorry I wrote the post half asleep last night while wondering if I needed to replace my injectors and didn?t fully explain what I was trying to accomplish. Basically what I was trying to find out was if the Ford injectors had the same issues with ethanol failure as the factory injectors.

After digging thru the forum today I think I found my answer. There was a post from 2014 that Jon with FIC put up explaining their stainless steel injectors and how they were no longer carrying the Bosch yellow top injectors due to failures similar to the stock injector on the 90 to 92 cars. This makes sense to me now because my car seems to run rough at idle once it has warmed up and is one of the reasons I wanted to pull the plenum in the first place.

So I know now that I want to replace the injectors for sure. I was looking at the FIC injectors. Do registry members get a discount on FIC injectors?
Old 03-16-2021   #8
wfot

I have a set of lightly used (about 5k miles) accel injectors for sale. 21lb they drop right in and already have the secondary tabs removed. easy install. all 16 for $500.00
here is a link to my post w/pics:

https://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32652

John
wfot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021   #9
spork2367

Quote:
After digging thru the forum today I think I found my answer. There was a post from 2014 that Jon with FIC put up explaining their stainless steel injectors and how they were no longer carrying the Bosch yellow top injectors due to failures similar to the stock injector on the 90 to 92 cars.
Just to be clear, these injectors were used up into the early 2000s on Ford modular motors (4.6, 5.4, etc) and are absolutely ethanol compatible. Bosch "yellow top" is a misnomer as they made dozens of part numbers with yellow tops.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021   #10
hin532

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
Just to be clear, these injectors were used up into the early 2000s on Ford modular motors (4.6, 5.4, etc) and are absolutely ethanol compatible. Bosch "yellow top" is a misnomer as they made dozens of part numbers with yellow tops.

I understand what they are and the blanket term for yellow tops. While the injectors would be ethanol compatible in the below thread Jon outlines that he was seeing failures from these injectors and stopped selling them. This is the information that I was looking to find out because my car sometimes exhibits symptoms of a failing injector.

http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24009