ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-17-2018   #1
cbaclawski

Default Electronic throttle conversion?

anyone ever looked in to converting the cable throttle control to an electronic control system?

My car is currently at the shop getting "track prepped", it's not stock and makes about 500hp. I don't have great feet for heel/toe downshifting and at the speeds I anticipate going I don't have confidence that I'll be fast enough too get a proper rev-match. I'd like to install an "auto blip" system, but they only work with electronically controlled throttles.

I'm used to track driving cars with less than half the HP I'll have and struggle at those speeds...

(Road course driving, not drag strip...)
cbaclawski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Electronic throttle conversion?

Honestly I have never heard of anyone in the community doing this before. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018   #3
RussMcB

Note: Everyone who is currently comfortable with heel/toe was, at one time, just like you. It just takes a little practice and then you'll start having muscle memory.

Will you be driving your Z on the street, too? If yes you can practice there.

For me, heel/toe is a very satisfying skill. It greatly adds to the driving (fun) experience, helps keep the rear stable while braking and is easier on the clutch.
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018   #4
-=Jeff=-

I had to do a You Tube search to see a video of exactly how Heel/Toe is done..

I had always heard about it, understood what it encompassed, but never how to physically do it
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Flowmaster Cats - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018   #5
cbaclawski

I CAN and do(sometimes) heel/toe in my current track cars. I just know I'm not ever going to be really good at it. With as much additional speed as I'll have in the Z, I imagine my time window to get it done will be smaller. I have "bad feet"... I can't dance either.

Also I rode in a car last weekend that had the auto-blip installed, and it was very impressive, perfect downshifts every time... almost like a true smg racecar, and I'd love to have it on the Z (I already ordered a kit for my BMW)

Curt

Thanks for all the responses!
Old 06-18-2018   #6
lfalzarano

If you get enough windshield time in a Z, you will know how much to blip the throttle for a smooth downshift.

Lou
Old 06-21-2018   #7
RussMcB

I got to drive my ZR-1 last night, first time in a couple of months. It was nice.

I consciously thought about blipping the throttle while braking and it was pretty easy/natural. For me and my Z's peddles, I can brake with the ball of my right foot and rock my foot to blip the throttle with the outside of my right foot.

So, in this case there is no "heel" or "toe" involved. The best part is, since the braking is far more important than the throttle blip, you can modulate the brakes with the ball of your foot pretty well. It's probably close to how you'd brake even without blipping the throttle.

Of course, I don't know if my feet/car/peddles are the same as others, but it didn't take any really unnatural movements or dexterity,
Old 06-21-2018   #8
cbaclawski

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
I got to drive my ZR-1 last night, first time in a couple of months. It was nice.

I consciously thought about blipping the throttle while braking and it was pretty easy/natural. For me and my Z's peddles, I can brake with the ball of my right foot and rock my foot to blip the throttle with the outside of my right foot.

So, in this case there is no "heel" or "toe" involved. The best part is, since the braking is far more important than the throttle blip, you can modulate the brakes with the ball of your foot pretty well. It's probably close to how you'd brake even without blipping the throttle.

Of course, I don't know if my feet/car/peddles are the same as others, but it didn't take any really unnatural movements or dexterity,
That's how I do it too, more big toe/little toe than heel toe. Most important for me is getting the foot on the brake in the right position to start. I struggle in a quick transition, i.e when the braking zone is short, the speed differential is relatively small, but a downshift is still needed...

Hopefully the Z has enough torque in it that this situation won't come up as much as it does in my "momentum" cars...
Old 06-21-2018   #9
RussMcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaclawski View Post
Hopefully the Z has enough torque in it that this situation won't come up as much as it does in my "momentum" cars...
Yes! you're really going to like that about the LT-5. It's impressive at low and high RPM's (and in between).

My guess is you'll be a little surprised when the Corvette doesn't stop as well as lighter cars you've driven at the track. That was my experience, but you adapt. And, of course, there are some things you can do to improve the braking.