ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 04-02-2018   #1
G-Sting

Default Melrose Relens service for the Transparent Roof?

Does anyone have experience good/bad with the Melrose Corvette "Relens" service of the Transparent Roof?

http://www.melrosecorvette.com/84-96...ation-service/

My stock blue Transparent Roof has some of the outer clear coatcoming off on one side. Like to keep it as close to stock as possible. Any suggestions appreciated.
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018   #2
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: Melrose Relens service for the Transparent Roof?

It this using your frame? it is just like buying one f their tops.. I have had my melrose roof for 10 years, I have known them for years. I bought a bunch of stuff from them when I converted my 89 from auto to manual (they use to race C4s back then)
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018   #3
WARP TEN

I got a roof for my '95 ZR-1 in 2013 and was very happy with the service, roof quality and price. I did not use the re-lens service because I did not have my original transparent roof with a serial number on it; just traded in what I had. Apparently the previous owner had replaced the original with an aftermarket roof of low quality Lexan and the GM frame had no serial number on it. Melrose was fine to work with and I recommend them. BTW, I don't know if he still has it, but Melrose's owner had one of the Morrison cars in his showroon when I was there.--Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018   #4
G-Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
It this using your frame?
Yes, I'd send them my complete original Top and they 'relens' it - replacing the "glass" and reinstalling all of the old frame. (See link)

At least a couple of you have had good experience with Melrose - thanks for that.

Bob - Sounds like a neat place as well with the Morrison race car. It'd be nice to visit them, but I would just use their box & shipping service to & from since I don't live close.
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
Old 04-02-2018   #5
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Melrose

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018   #6
RussMcB

Glad to come across this thread, with positive reviews. My clear roof has cracks. It doesn't bother me too much, but a new roof without issues would be nice.

This page on their site has a picture of what looks like a Morrison Racing Corvette:
http://www.melrosecorvette.com/about-us/
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018   #7
jmglyder

Hello,

I just received back my ZR-1 roof from Melrose yesterday. They did an excellent job putting in a blue tint lens. My advice is to talk to them directly and ask them what needs to be done to your roof and just follow-up to make sure they take care of you.

I mailed my roof in using their box they sent me and it arrived in two days from North Carolina. It was repaired and returned to me a few days later.

John Glyder
ZR-1 NetRegistry Membership Chair
[
1988 Corvette Challenge Car #66
WAZOO Member
1991 ZR-1 #1029 - Sold
1985 Corvette - Sold
2023 BMW X4
jmglyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018   #8
G-Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmglyder View Post
Hello,

I just received back my ZR-1 roof from Melrose yesterday. They did an excellent job putting in a blue tint lens. My advice is to talk to them directly and ask them what needs to be done to your roof and just follow-up to make sure they take care of you.

I mailed my roof in using their box they sent me and it arrived in two days from North Carolina. It was repaired and returned to me a few days later.
Another good experience. Much appreciated.
Old 04-04-2018   #9
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmglyder View Post
Hello,

John,
Thanks for sharing!
Also, his experience is indeed representative of their work, and they have performed that way for a long, long time.
They perform what is needed, and only what is needed.
Tops truly look as good as new.
Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018   #10
G-Sting

Finally getting back with results, here... I ordered a relens of the original blue transparent roof from Melrose online. The box to ship it in arrived in two days. I took photos of my old roof, then packed it up and took it to the FedEx Kinkos to mail. Piece of cake.

Mailed on a Monday, and they called me that Friday to ship it back. I had ordered new weatherstrips, and also asked if they could replace those black metal tabs on the sides near the front. For both weatherstrips and two new tabs, it was only another $60 + $30 respectively.

The new top arrived well packaged, with fitting instructions attached. But I thought I'd just try it on and it fit nicely - just like it had before. Went for a drive - worked perfectly with no rattles/squeaks.

Thanks again, gents, for the recommendations. Great experience.

[Pic is of top that arrived plastic protector on outside. New black tab on right/front side is also in view.]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2968.jpg (152.1 KB, 34 views)