ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-18-2017   #1
tiegsd

Default Electronic A.C. issues

Neither A.C. nor heat seems to work on my 90 ZR-1, wondering if it might be common failure mode? Electronic unit seems functional, but just blows cold air when it's cold out, hot air when it's hot out. Has anyone seen this on their s, or do you think they are separate issues?

Sent from my SM-N920V using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
1990 Black/Black ZR-1 #1155
1993 White/Red coupe (Regrettably sold)

tiegsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017   #2
Marc Haibeck

Default Re: Electronic A.C. issues

The AC system is more complicated than the heating system. Fix the heating problem first.

Coolant always flows to the heater core when the engine running. There is no water valve for the heater core. Check the two large tubes running over the right wheel area. They should both be hot, close to the engine temperature. If not the heater core is clogged with debris. Try backflushing it. The 3/4" tube is the outlet.

If both tubes are hot. Maybe the air temperature door has a problem. Remove the blower speed control module located on top of the HVAC air box. It has two electrical connectors on it. Observe the temperature door. Have a helper vary the interior temperature setting from 60 to 85 degrees. The door should move in proportion to the temperature request. If not there may be a problem with the servo motor.
Marc Haibeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017   #3
tiegsd

Will do. Many thanks Marc!

Sent from my SM-N920V using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
1990 Black/Black ZR-1 #1155
1993 White/Red coupe (Regrettably sold)

Old 11-27-2017   #4
jrd1990zr1

I hope you have more luck with your system than I did. Blend door motor (actuator) was bad. Have to remove most of the right side dashboard and the evaporator case to remove the heater core box then I was able to remove the actuator. I also have a 1990 no heat post. Here is a picture of the 1990 actuator on the heater core box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My 90 top.jpg (256.6 KB, 30 views)

1968 convertible Lemans Blue,
1986 coupe Medium Blue NCRS Top Flight (sold),
1990 ZR1 #2529 Red NCRS Regional and National Top Flight (sold),
1990 ZR1 #2124 Charcoal Metallic NCRS Top Flight 2010 & 2018,
2003 Anniversary Red Convertible (sold)
jrd1990zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017   #5
tiegsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd1990zr1 View Post
I hope you have more luck with your system than I did. Blend door motor (actuator) was bad. Have to remove most of the right side dashboard and the evaporator case to remove the heater core box then I was able to remove the actuator. I also have a 1990 no heat post. Here is a picture of the 1990 actuator on the heater core box.
Many thanks, appreciate the pic! Hoping to get to this over the holidays.
Old 12-01-2017   #6
JFFerner

Although there's probably no correlation to your heat problem, you may want to try that which I do to my '90 once every year to 18 months to get the A/C working. Simply disconnect a battery cable for a moment or two and then reconnect it. I know something must be screwed up, but at least for me, the temporary cure is the quickest and cheapest. Good luck.
JFFerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017   #7
tiegsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFFerner View Post
Although there's probably no correlation to your heat problem, you may want to try that which I do to my '90 once every year to 18 months to get the A/C working. Simply disconnect a battery cable for a moment or two and then reconnect it. I know something must be screwed up, but at least for me, the temporary cure is the quickest and cheapest. Good luck.
Interesting, wonder why that makes the A/C work again?

Had to disconnect Battery recently for something else, so I imagine that by doing that I cleared any fault codes that were logged by the Elec AC computer. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky! It'll give me something to do this weekend besides watching football.
Old 12-02-2017   #8
-=Jeff=-

Also with electronic AC when you pull the battery. on first key, I always turn to on and waiting until after the blend door motor is done calibrating before starting the car
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017   #9
tiegsd

Well, not sure what happened, but felt heat coming out of the vents for the first time yesterday on a short trip down to Effingham, IL. Pretty happy about that.

Since I was motivated by undeserved success, I took a look at my rear hatch support struts since I need to replace them and found that the passenger side electrical connector for the rear hatch defroster is gone, busted off by a previous owner.
Old 12-03-2017   #10
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiegsd View Post
Since I was motivated by undeserved success, I took a look at my rear hatch support struts since I need to replace them and found that the passenger side electrical connector for the rear hatch defroster is gone, busted off by a previous owner.
Mine too, and it’s in an awkward place to try and resolder. Short of removing the glass hatch, flipping it over, laying it down and resoldering that way, I have yet to come up with a simpler on the car fix.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote