ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-12-2007   #1
GrayZ

Cool is this possible?

8388 wrote:"I own two ZR-1's and you probably won't like what I have to say, but I would do only bolt ons. The LT-5 is a bit too complicated for internal mods, in my opinion. With the right bolt ons you can make 400+ to the rear wheels. My 93 makes 411 rwhp and the intake has never been off, and it does that without aftermarket headers too. In my opinion it's best to achieve the 500+ hp in a regular C4. It's cheaper, and easier to work on, and when it's time to sell, it's easier to sell a modded regular C4 over a ZR-1".

I posted on another forum i belong to. dometicmisfits.net
the above mentioned quote..was from a guy we call numbers guy,
he seems very knowlegable about cars...and owns quite a few it seems..but...when i posted the question to the forum there..about some upcoming mods..i have been thinking about...he anwsered with the above quote...my question is

Is this possible?? with just bolt on's? cause i have headers...and corsa exhaust..and i only have 353 rwhp...before the corsa.
when i dyno'd in may...i was wondering...whatcha think?
GrayZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #2
tccrab

Default Re: is this possible?

Keith:

411 at the rear wheels?
Intake has never been off?

Could be done with Nitrous... but not for long!

TomC
'90ZR1 #792
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #3
GrayZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccrab
Keith:

411 at the rear wheels?

TomC
'90ZR1 #792
that's what i thought..Tom...but...the guy does have 2 zr1's
i am waiting for his reply to my post...i asked him..
if no headers...and no porting...what did you do??
i all ears...
Old 02-12-2007   #4
GrayZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccrab
Keith:

411 at the rear wheels?

TomC
'90ZR1 #792
tom...here was the mr. numbers reply....he makes sense..but..of course..
i'm not much of a tech...

112733.12 Misfit Money
[
Donate ]

Imprisonments :
Posted: 4 Post subject: itlgo2 wrote:</SPAN>8388 wrote:I own two ZR-1's and you probably won't like what I have to say, but I would do only bolt ons. The LT-5 is a bit too complicated for internal mods, in my opinion. With the right bolt ons you can make 400+ to the rear wheels. My 93 makes 411 rwhp and the intake has never been off, and it does that without aftermarket headers too. In my opinion it's best to achieve the 500+ hp in a regular C4. It's cheaper, and easier to work on, and when it's time to sell, it's easier to sell a modded regular C4 over a ZR-1.

really....?? 411 rwhp ..and you havn't ported...or added headers?
so ...i'm all ears...what DID you do?

It has a Desert development 3" exhaust (they don't make these anymore) but it would not be hard to duplicate. They used a unique X crossover that in my opinion really helps. I also have a Doug Rippie chip. The 411 was done thru cats, although I no longer have cats, the car does feel a bit stronger, but I have not redynoed it since the cat removal.

In my opinion, is has all to do with having the cams timed correctly. There exist a large varience of power between most ZR-1's and that's because these engines were all hand assembled, thus cam timing varies from one to another. Most won't tell you that, because they are clueless, but those are the facts.

The LT-5 as you know, is a very hard working and dependable engine. Probably the most dependable engine out there. But once you start modding it's internals all of that changes. No difference than modding up any other engine on the planet, the only difference is that the LT-5 is a bit more complicated and more expensive to fix. For me, if you need to have 500, 600 700 + hp, it's best to do it with something that is easy and cheap to work on. The old small blocks or even the new LS engines are cheap and easy to work on, and make good power.
Old 02-12-2007   #5
jonszr1

I know randy woods dynod 390 at the wheels but that was with headers. Has he owned it since new? Could the previous owner done head and or/plenum work? I finally got mine to 410 rwhp but that took plenum and injector porting and headers with a custom chassis dyno tune. Corey Henderson said that my hp numbers were the highest he has ever got from a car that had these mods. what type of dyno? could he post the dyno sheet. there is a way by cking the sheet to see if the operator has messed with the settings to inflate the numbers. I amnot saying bs but that is 40 hp higher than any other car tested with the same set up. has he ever run @ a drag strip and coulde he post times and mph . maybe we should start a thread to see what others with the same mods have gotten. if true he has one rare freek that people would pay well for just to tear down to see how it was achieved.
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #6
Peaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITLGO2
8388 wrote:In my opinion, is has all to do with having the cams timed correctly.
I would agree with most of what the guy said, but....I didn't think that there could be that much varience in hp from just cam timing. I still don't. I could see 10 rwhp variences between a poorly and perfectly timed LT5, but he's claiming way more than that. Anyone care to `splain it to this noob?
'94 ABZ Lucky #13-SOLD
Peaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #7
jonszr1

I just sent him a pm as he lives in texas and maybe he would drive to coreys to ck his numbers on corey new state of the art dyno. I would pay for the dyno time just to see if this the real mccoy. As far as cost to build SO WHAT. when we bought these cars we new they weren't cheap. Also no standard small block chevy could ever sound or have that one of a kind feeling that the KOTH has. that is priceless in MHO
Old 02-12-2007   #8
jonszr1

peav,, your right on the cam timing. just got off the ph with corey and the very max in hp is 14. this info is from what corey has personally done also there is a piece in the heart of the beast on the hp diff. i wonder if he will take me up on my dyno offer @ Coreys? we shall see. I know I was asked to prove mine after porting which I did. if this is true its a alien car
Old 02-12-2007   #9
Kevin

wait, there are bolt ons for the ZR-1?
Old 02-12-2007   #10
Peaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonszr1
peav,, your right on the cam timing. just got off the ph with corey and the very max in hp is 14. this info is from what corey has personally done also there is a piece in the heart of the beast on the hp diff. i wonder if he will take me up on my dyno offer @ Coreys? we shall see. I know I was asked to prove mine after porting which I did. if this is true its a alien car
Thanx Jon that's what I figured....if anyone would know, Corey would. That said, there are some freak cars running around out there and who knows, maybe this guy has one of them. I've lived long enough to see that just about anything is possible.
'94 ABZ Lucky #13-SOLD
Peaven is offline   Reply With Quote