ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-20-2017   #1
secondchance

Default Steering rack install

About a year and a half ago started to notice a bit of dead spot going straight. Also started to notice a sensation of front tires skipping under heavy acceleration. These symptoms were followed by outer edges of front tires wearing rapidly. Last summer I had my car on Rich's lift. With front end raised, moving the front tire/wheel left and right, I could hear light clanking noise coming from tie or dinner ends. I could just replace the tie rods but since I have racked up 158,000 miles, figured might as well replace the entire rack.

Of course, there are no NOS steering rack available. All major Corvette parts stores, Mid America, Corvette Central, Zip, Ecklers, and a few vendors on Ebay carry rebuilt units. Typical price ranged from $219 to around $400.
My preference would have been to have mine rebuilt by reputable rebuilder such as Turn One, but not an option since I didn't want to tie up Rich's lift for weeks.

For what it's worth, figured reputable Corvette Vendor (as opposed to unknown Ebay vendor) may have better quality control - I hope!

Luck would have it, Ecklers's had $50 off sale which reduced the price to $169 (or so) plus shipping (I think $49) and $300 core charge. Also, picked up some GM power steering fluid.

Old rack and new. New rack with tie rods eyeballed to the same length left and right with shaft connection clocked the same.

Rack ready for removal with roll bar and power steering cooler unbolted and out of way.

New rack in place and cooler re-mounted.

Phil, Jim, Gibby and Al joined me and Rich and pitched in to help. Phil's "gentle" persuasion was necessary to remove the old unit.

After 8 hours of frustration, a lot of help from Rich and a pair of very greasy hands, no more sloppy ride and crystal clear power steering fluid!

Last edited by secondchance; 02-20-2017 at 08:02 PM.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017   #2
Roadster

Default Re: Steering rack install

Sounds and looks like a very successful day....great pics....
Is that your build date in pic #3 which looks like 3 21 94? Or do those numbers have a different meaning???

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017   #3
secondchance

Great eyes! I guess so...
Old 02-21-2017   #4
Scrrem

Yeah Yun, it was a bit of a scary job but as unusual, WAZOO prevailed. I got really concerned when backing that rack bolt out and it butted itself against the front cover of the motor. You and the pry bar became good friends...LOL! We can tackle those lower ball joints another day.
Rich
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017   #5
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Is that your build date in pic #3 which looks like 3 21 94? Or do those numbers have a different meaning???

That looks to be cross-member part# 10205043 and build information for that component. It might be interesting to compare the 3/24 date to the Certification Label mo/year info OR if Yun actually has the build sheet then compare the two dates.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017   #6
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
That looks to be cross-member part# 10205043 and build information for that component. It might be interesting to compare the 3/24 date to the Certification Label mo/year info OR if Yun actually has the build sheet then compare the two dates.
Unfortunately, my build sheet is still glued to the gas tank. I saw it when the rear bumper was removed for painting but left it alone.
Old 02-21-2017   #7
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrrem View Post
Yeah Yun, it was a bit of a scary job but as unusual, WAZOO prevailed. I got really concerned when backing that rack bolt out and it butted itself against the front cover of the motor. You and the pry bar became good friends...LOL! We can tackle those lower ball joints another day.
Rich
I think my lower ball joints are still good. I never slacked when it came to greasing them. More importantly, never got so greedy to pop the boot with excessive grease.
Old 02-21-2017   #8
secondchance

WVZR-1,

Hope all is well.
Are you able to check if power steering cooler is ZR-1 specific or the same unit used for LT1/LT4 cars?
Mine looked a bit banged up. If it's the same with LT1 cars, I can pick up a good used one, clean it and replace.
Old 02-21-2017   #9
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
WVZR-1,

Hope all is well.
Are you able to check if power steering cooler is ZR-1 specific or the same unit used for LT1/LT4 cars?
Mine looked a bit banged up. If it's the same with LT1 cars, I can pick up a good used one, clean it and replace.
All seems well! Thanks for asking!

By application it's '92 - '95 LT5 cars only!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-21-2017 at 09:01 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017   #10
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post

By application it's '92 - '95 LT5 cars only!
Happen to have GM part number by any chance?