ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-02-2016   #1
Regimof

Default New guy. Old car

So after months and months of trying to convince my father to sign up here, I just decided to get an account myself. I'm jumping the gun here a bit, but the car will eventually be mine so I figure why not.

The car...
Cars got a pretty complicated history from what I know. Back in the mid 90s a now deceased dealership took in a 1994 Competition Yellow ZR1 for some (what we were told) minor cosmetic damage. It's owner was a new money sort and didn't really respect his stuff. He ended up just leaving it there over a period of time and the dealership took ownership of it. Dad saw it on the lot and after a lot of hemming and hawing (and begging from me) he traded his 91 convertible and brought her home. It's been my favorite car ever made ever since.

There was a period of time where it got less and less use and now rarely sees the road, maybe 2 times a year. It sits in a garage behind the house resting on Styrofoam. I hate that. I decided this cannot be. I am now giving it the tlc it so richly deserves. It needed a battery right away and a good solid bath. Mice had gotten in a few spots in the rear and chewed up some of the sound insulation and left a .... scent. Got that vacuumed up. Now it's the motor. I notice that you guys have some ridiculously clean engine bays so I have work to do. There's an oil spot underneath that will need attention (fingers crossed) and we need to get a new fuel pump in.

I've spent a ton of time looking on here for answers but it's just so vast...

Couple questions.

1. Replacing the fuel pump seems relatively painless, right? Just open the fuel door and take off the filler cap and it's right there? Any advice?

2. There is a hesitation under load at low rpms. This isn't the first time it's done it. Last time it was something dealing with fuel under the plenum. Apparently was quite an ordeal. Someone on here has or had the same kind of issue..called it "bucking"... This is a concern to me.

Anyway. Um.... it's 24xxx miles.... and.... uh. Have some pics.

Edit: can't upload pics. Will try later.

We've all seen a yellow zr1 anyway
Regimof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016   #2
A26B

Default Re: New guy. Old car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regimof View Post
1. Replacing the fuel pump seems relatively painless, right? Just open the fuel door and take off the filler cap and it's right there? Any advice?.....................................
I see this happen frequently. A ZR-1 sits for extended period. Here's the procedure.

1. Remove the fuel pump sender assembly. Don't be shocked if its covered in rust. If so, replace the complete sender & pumps unit. Do not reinstall the fuel pump sender until after step 6 is completed.

2. While fuel pump sender is out, siphon out all of the old gas. Clean out the fuel tank. Will likely be rust & old fuel. Tank itself is lined so no rust from the tank.

3. Remove the fuel filter, inside the Right side frame rail.

4. Blow air from the gas tank supply line to clear out the fuel line between the tank & filter.

5. Disconnect the fuel feed & return block located at the rt-rear of the plenum. Blow air gently back through the supply line to clear out the fuel line between the filter & fuel feed & return block. Replace the 2 original o-rings with new Viton o-rings. http://www.jerrysgaskets.com/seal-se...on-90-95-11d8/

6. Install a new fuel filter. http://www.jerrysgaskets.com/filter-...lco-90-95-1b3/

7. Install the fuel pump sender assembly. Be careful not to get a wire pinched under a flanged bolt head.

8. Using a fuel pressure tester
bleed the fuel rail of old fuel, with key on, engine off (KO,EO). When fresh fuel is observed, check fuel pressure, KO,EO.

9. Since this is a 94 ZR-1, trying the original injectors is OK. Check fuel pressure, KOEO. Should be about 44 psig.

10. Start the engine. Be prepared for rough running & injectors that may not function until old fuel is washed through with fresh gasoline. Don't run the engine at any higher rpm than is required to keep it running.

11. Depending on the degree of fuel varnish within the rails & injectors, it may take driving the car for an hour or so before passing judgement on the injectors, i.e. are they going to be ok. A new set (16) injectors is costly, so it's worth trying. If it had been a 90~92 ZR-1 with original injectors, I would have recommended replacing with new.

Good luck.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016   #3
Regimof

I should have been clearer on the pump thing. The car runs and drives just fine. The reason it needs a new pump is the sending unit won't read the fuel level. We never know how much gas we have. I was told the only way to fix this was to get a new pump.

I do appreciate the step by step tho!
Old 06-02-2016   #4
Fully Vetted

I think all you need is a new sending unit. Jerry, is the sending unit and pump all one unit? I need to do this as well as I run out of gas at the 1/4 tank mark on my gauge.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016   #5
Regimof

Ok here we go. Trying to see if I can get pics up

http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/sn...tml?sort=3&o=0

http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/sn...tml?sort=3&o=1

http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/sn...tml?sort=3&o=2
Old 06-02-2016   #6
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
I think all you need is a new sending unit. Jerry, is the sending unit and pump all one unit? I need to do this as well as I run out of gas at the 1/4 tank mark on my gauge.
Hi David,
Yes, it is all one unit.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016   #7
Fully Vetted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regimof View Post
Ok here we go. Trying to see if I can get pics up
Wow. She's a real cream puff. Very little to no delam on the windshield. Looks good. Future congrats are def in order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
Hi David,
Yes, it is all one unit.
Do you have those available?

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016   #8
Regimof

Future thanks.

I really didn't know that delam was an issue until the other day. It's started at the very bottom, but nothing bad yet.
Old 06-02-2016   #9
JimZRyd

Wow! She doesn't look too neglected to me!

1994 ZR-1 Admiral Blue/Black #245
1996 Callaway Supernatural 450
1990 Callaway Supernatural 490 / CR-1 #7
JimZRyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016   #10
Regimof

It's not in bad nick or anything... it just sits and barely gets used. He bought a new Z06 and drives that all the time.

The radio won't take cds anymore. I forgot to mention that.