ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-21-2015   #1
RussMcB

Default Scanner Purchase Advice?

I'd like to purchase a scanner tool, but know very little about them.

Two questions: 1) How can I learn more about what they offer and how to use them, and 2) What advice do you have regarding shopping for one (i.e., brand, features, price, etc.)?

I did a little searching, maybe not as much as I could have. Looking for most recent thoughts and people's experiences with what's available.

My current desire for a tool is for diagnosing a no-start condition (both with and without cranking). Will a scan tool help identify no-start causes?

Thanks, very much.
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015   #2
FU

Default Re: Scanner Purchase Advice?

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/monitor-y...p-for-android/

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015   #3
RussMcB

Thanks, but I don't think that will work with our cars. It appears to be for OBD-II. Too bad. That would be pretty great.
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015   #4
Franke

I found Datamaster to be quite helpful as a scanner only. You will need a laptop and OBD 1 cable. You can check their website.
For interactive (bi-directional) equipment I use a MAC tools Mastertech 3100 or you can use a tech 1/1A. They are still expensive but can simulate mostly anything on the Z with the proper plugin modules and software. These tools should be coming down in price as the technology progresses to the newer protocols and software etc.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015   #5
We Gone

If you want to see what one does I have Genisys Evo 5.0 does everthing I need.

http://genisysotc.com/documents/11-2...sSystem5.0.pdf

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015   #6
XfireZ51

You can talk to =Jeff= about this app called ALDLDroid.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roux.aldldroid

He has it running on his Android tablet. It uses TunerPro RT which has been ported to Android. You need the .adx for your car although we were able to connect to my 92 using his 90 .adx. At the time he was working to get datalogging which is what I would want for tuning purposes.

You can call EASE Diagnostics about their OBD1 scantool software.

http://www.scantoolsoftware.com

They don't actively promote it, so you'll probably need to talk to somebody. This is the software I have been using for many years mainly for datalogging but also real time scanning. However, it doesn't do what a Tech1 does in terms of operating injectors, ignition etc.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015   #7
Hib Halverson

A scan tester will not be as valuable in tracking down a no start condition as will a Service Manual and a DMM.

Your best bet is to spend that money on a set of Factory Service Manuals then use the information in those books about diagnosing "won't crank" and "cranks but won't run" situations.

If you're set on a scan tester, you need one which supports OBD (pre-96) systems. You also want one which will display the data list as well as codes and you want one which can data log (take "snapshots") which is useful in diagnostic activities.

I have several testers.
My favorite is a Bosch MTS3100 Mastertech. I use it on just about everything I own except the 2012 Z06 which the Mastertech software does not support. I, also, sometimes use a software-based tester "EASE" which runs on my PC laptop. Both these pieces of equipment support the LT5 but, unfortunately, both of these also are quite expensive.

My favorite "prosumer" scan tester is the Actron CP9190 which runs about 500 bucks.
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015   #8
-=Jeff=-

Yes I use ALDLDroid on my Android tablet.. it also works on my phone. If youhave a device that support USB OTG you can use a USB cable. but there are a couple places selling an OBD1 Bluetooth device which I have heard works well, but I have not personally tried it. I think the ALDLDroid is around $20 plus the interface cable cost

the Definition file for our cars works on the ALDLDroid and TunerPro. the developer was also working on getting the Ostrich and other pieces working for a full solution just liek TunerPro

hope this helps
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015   #9
92whiteZ

I have both a Genisys and a Tech 1 A. The Genisys is helpful with OBDII cars/trucks. I personally dont find it overly useful with my 92 Silverado or Z.

Now the Tech 1a with a mass storage cartridge is invaluable on the truck and the Z. its obviously GM specific but it does anything and everything someone would need when narrowing down potential problems. goes hand and hand with the factory service manuals.
92whiteZ is offline   Reply With Quote