ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-21-2015   #1
zr1dude85

Default All original vs ....NOT

So I'm in a pickle here. I would like to keep this car as close to original as possible. My dad did it for ~20 years, I even have the original tires and air filter (not installed), although I haven't quite figured out why yet. The car has 33,000 miles.

I plan to do coils and wires in the next couple weeks. As far as originality is concerned in this regard, I can save money by going aftermarket obviously. No matter where I looked, plenum/injector housing gaskets are not cheap, ~$76 a piece. Another reason to limit the number of times I remove the plenum. So I wanted the opinion of this community on whether or not to do OEM (GM Parts Direct) or a place like Eckler's.

Future plans for the car include fixing a couple trim pieces (Within a year), suspension bushings and wear items (within 3 months, hopefully), paint job (original color, severl years away), get radio working (soon - just had CDM and head unit rebuilt). The only thing I'd like to do aftermarket is exhaust, to let 'er breath and hear the growl. Even that I am still debating.

I'm doing this because it's required. I'm an engineer at GM and all my posts are my own opinion.
zr1dude85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015   #2
8cam

Default Re: All original vs ....NOT

I've found Ecklers to be expensive, sometimes more than GM. For a lot of stuff, Jerry's Gaskets is the best price, and some other things (like coils) can be found with a little searching. I ended up getting my Delco coils from an outfit on Amazon for less than half what Ecklers wanted.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015   #3
1990 quasar blue

www.jerrysgaskest.com
Jerry has both plenum and injector housing gaskets for about 60.00. That's all in not per gasket. Also for coils you'll only need plenum gaskets. coils are about 60.00 each and wires under 90.00. Imho you could do the job for 350.00. Not too bad at all.
1990 ZR1 #2574
Medium Quasar Blue Metallic
1 of 19
1990 quasar blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015   #4
JimZRyd

I agree with the above posts. Ecklers is pricey. Jerry has about anything you'll need and you'll get loads better service. Most members get injectors from FIC, Fuel Injector Connection. Many members here will offer you great advice!

1994 ZR-1 Admiral Blue/Black #245
1996 Callaway Supernatural 450
1990 Callaway Supernatural 490 / CR-1 #7
JimZRyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015   #5
RussMcB

I'm in a similar situation - new owner and first time plunum-pull, new coils, etc.

I didn't shop around for best prices but I did have great conversations with Jerry and Marc about my upcoming work. They were both great to deal with and I got the gaskets from Jerry in about a day and a half. Price seemed good.

Actually, I did shop around for low prices for coils and found some on ebay. I have them in hand now and wonder if I made a poor choice. These new ones I bought were made in China...
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015   #6
XfireZ51

Don't forget to drop the coolant before you pull plenum.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015   #7
efnfast

I like to support members when I can. Gaskets, coils, wires, bolts all came from Jerry. Jerry has FIC injectors, but I got mine from a member that was trying to get rid of a set.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015   #8
phrogs

where are you in Michigan?

Its going to be impossible to keep somethings original like the gaskets.

Just get them from Jerry, No one will care.

will your car ever and I mean ever be a NCRS canidate?

your talking repaint why? its only Original once. think about it.

Currently own

90 ZR-1 #845 DRM 500 engine package

90 #226 Parts car Hit me up if you need anything.
phrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015   #9
zr1dude85

Northwest of Detroit, Novi if you're familiar...?

So gaskets I wasn't worried about, just components like coils - OEM vs aftermarket.

I don't plan to apply to be a NCRS candidate. I don't plan to sell the car so I don't see the benefit. I do like that it has been original this whole time, but I plan to enjoy the car.

As far as the paint is concerned, there are a few defects. On the passenger door, there is a pea sized gouge at the top, a couple inches from window trim. The passenger side rocker panel has several rock chips. I can see a yellowish color. The B pillar, or roll bar has some bubbling underneath the paint.

I looked at the thread about PC plenum, cam covers etc and really liked the look of most. To dress up underhood, I will at least need to redo original color, but adding some flare looks really good. Oh the choices...

I'm doing this because it's required. I'm an engineer at GM and all my posts are my own opinion.
zr1dude85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015   #10
cvette98pacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1dude85 View Post
Northwest of Detroit, Novi if you're familiar...?

So gaskets I wasn't worried about, just components like coils - OEM vs aftermarket.

I don't plan to apply to be a NCRS candidate. I don't plan to sell the car so I don't see the benefit. I do like that it has been original this whole time, but I plan to enjoy the car.

As far as the paint is concerned, there are a few defects. On the passenger door, there is a pea sized gouge at the top, a couple inches from window trim. The passenger side rocker panel has several rock chips. I can see a yellowish color. The B pillar, or roll bar has some bubbling underneath the paint.

I looked at the thread about PC plenum, cam covers etc and really liked the look of most. To dress up underhood, I will at least need to redo original color, but adding some flare looks really good. Oh the choices...
Welcome to ZOOM. I am up in Frankenmuth.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote