ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-08-2015   #1
KFoster

Default 1990 ZR1 Interior Light Flicker

I've had the car a couple of months. 51k miles. It needs new weather strip and will get it soon. I did not know it was going to rain and had it in the driveway while I was at a resturant. Passenger side got pretty wet. Dried it out, no problem and I do not know that this has something to do with my problem.

The problem is that the dash shows door ajar and all the interior lights come on. They were coming on and staying. Now they flicker on and off. Rough road or bridge triggers it. When I park, it seems opening and closing the pass door and then locking it with a key twice will get the lights off. Not sure if it is just the delay there or what, but I'm afraid to leave it with the lights on. It stayed on when this first happened and ran my battery down and killed a cell and I had to buy another one. It acts like something is loose, I'm just not sure what. Any ideas?
KFoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015   #2
apbreg

Default Re: 1990 ZR1 Interior Light Flicker

There is a light activation switch on both doors that tells the car that the door is closed. The switch has a tip that extends out about 3/8" from full in to full out. Take a flat tipped screwdriver or a jack knife and get the edge of the screwdriver or jack knife behind the edge of the tip and pull it out to full extension. Close the door and it will push the tip back in the exact right amount and the door ajar light will stop flashing. Do one door at a time, it's probably not both switches. Since the weather stripping on the PS door is a problem, it could well be the PS side door switch.
apbreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015   #3
KFoster

I haven't tried pulling them out as they already come out about 1/2". I have opened the doors on both sides and pushed them in all the way by hand and the lights do not go out. I am wondering if there is something on the other side of the switch that could be loose or wet. I thought I was getting away from electrical probs when I sold my 930S. I do appreciate your responding and I will make sure they fully extend when I get home and see what happens.
Old 01-08-2015   #4
Z06scentair

Plunger on the door switch is bad. It sounds like moisture has gotten to the connections.

Replace/clean the plunger connections, and verify the connecting door surface is flat engaging the plunger to full depth.
Z06scentair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015   #5
KFoster

I thought it might come to that. How do you get it out (pry it)? Does it just pop out or do you have to go in with door panel off?
Old 01-08-2015   #6
apbreg

You can always remove the switches one at a time and wire (jumper) around the switch to see if the door ajar light goes out. Corvette Central has the switches for $30, but you should make sure the problem is the switch and not a broken wire first.
Old 01-08-2015   #7
apbreg

Here's the DIY video from You Tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B13yj3Qh0Y . It can be done without removing the door panel.
Old 01-08-2015   #8
Z06scentair

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFoster View Post
I thought it might come to that. How do you get it out (pry it)? Does it just pop out or do you have to go in with door panel off?
To be honest I can't remember.....hang tight someone with recent knowledge will chime in.

Did you look through the sticky's above?

Dynomite has some pretty nice how to/write ups.
Z06scentair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015   #9
KFoster

Two small bolts hold it in, but the backing plate is loose and the connector will not come through the hole. I'll have to take the door panel off this weekend and check it out. Thanks to all who posted.
Old 01-09-2015   #10
gbrtng

slap a couple layers of duct tape on the sill strike plate - it is the black plastic part that
the switch contacts and collapses with time. See if the flicker goes away - cheaper and easiest way to see if the switch is bad. You want to see if the switch is at the ragged edge of making no-contact with the door closed.

duct tape and WD-40 - fix everything fast.