ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-01-2014   #1
-=Jeff=-

Default Cam Cover questions and other stuff

So I was looking at the motor today and it looks like the cam cover or seeping oil on the front of the motor.

I might pull them off to reseal them this winter but was curious if you need to put any sealer on the round 'buttons' on the ends..

I also have an odd sound that I have not heard before, I think it is the water pump and the noise from it is resonating through the motor. I pulled the cap off the surge tank and it seemed low, so I think I have a coolant leak somewhere as well.

I really need to find the oil leak or the source of it. I am hoping to do so this winter/ early spring, my first task is to install the antenna wire and finish some things with the interior first. move to the engine and then hopefully get a round to fixing the e-brake.. the e-brake barely hold the car when there is even a very slight pitch.

I also modified my Jack Adapter from Corvette Gadget Man to work with a bottle jack on my Kwik Lift

1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978

Last edited by -=Jeff=-; 11-01-2014 at 10:43 PM.
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014   #2
XfireZ51

Default Re: Cam Cover questions and other stuff

Jeff,

A couple of years ago, I pulled the passenger side cam cover off to remove the Scotch Brite installed in the crankcase vent. If you recall, I was getting oil leaks from excessive crankcase pressure whenever I would go WOT. Replacing the Scotch Brite w the foam from Haibeck did the trick for me. As for the cam cover
"biscuits" at each end, I used the same anaerobic sealer as I did for the rest of the cover.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX

Last edited by XfireZ51; 11-02-2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Thanks Jerry. Anabolic is a steroid.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014   #3
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
...........I might pull them off to reseal them this winter but was curious if you need to put any sealer on the round 'buttons' on the ends........
From my experience, when tearing down original engines, the red Permabond A136 used to seal the cam cover/cylinder head, is also on the Cam Bore Plugs, but may not have been intentional.

When we manufactured the new plugs, it was obvious that the plug seal design is very intricate with a fine edge to both the inside & outside. It doesn't appear to me that the design would have required any sealant. Permabond is anaerobic and the seal has such a thin sealing element, I don't see the Permabond adding anything to the sealing properties.

So, for my 2cents, I would recommend nothing. The Cam Cover requires a special, non-shimming sealant to not alter the cam journal bore diameter. Any other sealing substance, like Permatex or silicone that could shim the cam cover would work to the detriment of the designed camshaft journal-to-bore designed clearances. Not a good thing!
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.

Last edited by A26B; 11-02-2014 at 09:24 AM.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014   #4
XfireZ51

When we visited Mercury Marine Racing, they had designed a "girdle" for the cams much like girdles for the bottom end on cranks. The cam cover is just that. A cover. Also, using followers on lobes rather than direct contact w lifters.
Old 11-02-2014   #5
-=Jeff=-

So when I had them off before I just used the anaerobic on the cam cover to head mating surface and not on the buttons/plugs.

I plan to pull the covers off to install the correct filter/breathers on both sides.. then clean and reseal surfaces but wanted to confirm if I should add the anaerobic sealer to the buttons.. sounds like it can be done but is not specifically required
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014   #6
Dynomite

Quote:
So when I had them off before I just used the anaerobic on the cam cover to head mating surface and not on the buttons/plugs.

I plan to pull the covers off to install the correct filter/breathers on both sides.. then clean and reseal surfaces but wanted to confirm if I should add the anaerobic sealer to the buttons.. sounds like it can be done but is not specifically required
I used the sealer on rubber end caps after cleaning them completely as well as cleaning recesses where they are installed. Reused....Used end caps
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014   #7
A26B

Quote:

I have found that some of the hard, sealant remnants on the end plugs is removed fairly easily & sometimes not so easy and ended up damaging the seal lip on the plug. So just use care and examine the seal for damage. Remember that anaerobic sealants cure in the absence of air. If air can reach it, it will not cure, i.e. if the thin sealing lip is damaged, the anaerobic sealant won't help that any.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014   #8
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
I used the sealer on rubber end caps after cleaning them completely as well as cleaning recesses where they are installed. Reused....Used end caps
As did I. Also have an extra set of end caps in case anyone is interested.

=jeff=,

As for the anaerobic sealant, it won't hurt.
Old 11-02-2014   #9
rhipsher

Jeff when I pulled my cam covers off for powder coating and put them back on I did not put Loctite 518 on the cam bore plugs and had oil leaking out of the cam bore plug on the rear drivers side. And had to pull it back off. I applied 518 to all of the bore plugs and have never had another oil leak ever again. I also replaced the felt breather material with SS brillo pad and it's worked fine for me.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014   #10
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
I have found that some of the hard, sealant remnants on the end plugs is removed fairly easily & sometimes not so easy and ended up damaging the seal lip on the plug. So just use care and examine the seal for damage. Remember that anaerobic sealants cure in the absence of air. If air can reach it, it will not cure, i.e. if the thin sealing lip is damaged, the anaerobic sealant won't help that any.
Yep....exactly as Jerry suggests
That is why Jerry sells them there Camshaft Cam Cover End Plugs and good that he does cause I have bought more than a couple now and then

That New Web Site of yours Jerry is absolutely the Cats Meow
I just like looking at all the Parts Photos you have
And I thought I was a fair to middling organizer......you definitely beat "fair to middling"

Quote:
I also modified my Jack Adapter from Corvette Gadget Man to work with a bottle jack on my Kwik Lift
Nice......and I am not the only one using Kwik Lift

Last edited by Dynomite; 11-02-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote