ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-14-2014   #1
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Glass cleaner...

I'm a bit anal about clean glass - among other things. I've tried a LOT of things over the years; Windex and newspaper, various foams, various squirt cleaners, vinegar, Glass Plus, Rainex (not bad)... But! I just had my windshield replaced by Safelite, and they have a proprietary foam cleaner that puts everything I've used up to now to shame. No kidding.

According to the tech, the stuff is proprietary and not for sale to the public. I wonder if that is true, but more to the point, where else or under what name might I get some more? (The tech left me with a partial can of the stuff to use, but it is gone.)

Anybody know if you can buy it directly from Safelite? Dat be some good chit, mon.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014   #2
secondchance

Default Re: Glass cleaner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
I'm a bit anal about clean glass - among other things. I've tried a LOT of things over the years; Windex and newspaper, various foams, various squirt cleaners, vinegar, Glass Plus, Rainex (not bad)... But! I just had my windshield replaced by Safelite, and they have a proprietary foam cleaner that puts everything I've used up to now to shame. No kidding.

According to the tech, the stuff is proprietary and not for sale to the public. I wonder if that is true, but more to the point, where else or under what name might I get some more? (The tech left me with a partial can of the stuff to use, but it is gone.)

Anybody know if you can buy it directly from Safelite? Dat be some good chit, mon.
Is this it?
http://www.safelite.com/products/saf...glass-cleaner/
secondchance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014   #3
Racinfan83

Paul - I got a couple of these after reading about em on CF. http://ultimatestreakfree.com/
No chemicals or anything needed - just a bit of water. And they do work. I haven't tried them on a bug encrusted windshield or anything like that - but on the "stay clean" windows of my Vette they work awesome. Also the best thing I have ever used on the interior windows of my DD's - use this cloth and follow behind with a dry microfiber and there are no streaks, and all the "chemical film" is gone. I love em...
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014   #4
Paul Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Yep! That be the stuff!

I've heard of the "Ultimate Streak Free" towels; microfiber. However, for exterior (windshield) apps with bug goo, I don't believe a microfiber is going to do the trick. But, I'll try some on the interior, "fer sher". Thanks for the tip!

90 #1202
Sans secondaries

Old 08-14-2014   #5
Schrade

Active Ingredients on the label?

Does it have an ISO Product # on the can?

I can't find MSDS on the web........
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014   #6
mike100

I've been using Invisible Glass by Stoner. Works best with dedicated glass cleaning microfiber rags.

Previous to that, I used to go in with another guy and order a case of ZEP window aerosol when I used to work in a shop. Its got ammonia base, but it worked better than windex. Do you think the Safelite is any different?
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014   #7
Paul Workman

Hmmmm.... This micro-fiber towel keeps coming up. Interesting... Up to now I've gone out of my way to buy pure white Scott paper towels (mentioned several years ago as THEE product to use on glass...next to newsprint.)

Micro-fiber, by any other name is still micro-fiber... Is that right - far as window cleaning goes? I've got micro-fiber towelettes coming out of my ears, so is the MF towel spoken of here something special or treated with something??

Thanks in advance.

Paul

90 #1202
Sans secondaries

Old 08-15-2014   #8
WVZR-1

All micro-fiber is NOT equal they say and I do believe there's product sold specifically for "window cleaning". Is there improved performance of the "specific" product? Might not be. I use a Costco bundle frequently for most glass and monitor screens.

Even Adam's does window specific micro-fiber:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-422-a...-towels-2.aspx

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-15-2014 at 08:29 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014   #9
Racinfan83

Quote:
Hmmmm.... This micro-fiber towel keeps coming up. Interesting... Up to now I've gone out of my way to buy pure white Scott paper towels (mentioned several years ago as THEE product to use on glass...next to newsprint.)

Micro-fiber, by any other name is still micro-fiber... Is that right - far as window cleaning goes? I've got micro-fiber towelettes coming out of my ears, so is the MF towel spoken of here something special or treated with something??

Thanks in advance.

Paul
The "Ultimate Streak Free Cloth" I use is MIRAfiber - not MICROfiber just in case you missed that. There are many different microfibers out there - even in Auto Parts stores there is a selection of them. For windows I use the MIRAfiber dampened with water and follow with a dry standard microfiber like the ones in the big pack from Costco. There are "fluffy" microfibers that usually sell one or two to a lot that I use to gently wipe dust off the car - they will also take off fingerprints and such off windows.
My car is literally so "slick" from all the wax/detail spray/trim shine/etc. that almost nothing sticks to it - windows included. I cannot even stick painters tape to the molding to protect it from wax anymore. My point with this is - bugs aren't nearly as bad to clean off if you have a "slick" car. Last show I went to was 2 hours away and bugs almost fell off by themselves when I got there.
I have at least 3 more shows this year - I think after those I will wash it with Dawn and "paint correct" it again - and use a product called "Chadwicks Triple Play" for next year. It hardens and seals - and you use it like a detail spray instead of washing the car. I need something that works, yet saves me from doing 3-4 coats of wax...
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014   #10
nelson007

A friend of mind has the contract to clean all the CVS stores in Md and Va. All he uses Vinegar and ammonia,water and newspapers. He had this contract for the last ten years and swears by it.
Nelson007

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Paul

1993 #124 Ruby
1994 #??? Red/Black
1995 #061 Black/Red
2012 ZR1 Preproduction
nelson007 is offline   Reply With Quote