ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-10-2014   #1
hottrodcrazy

Default Passenger Side Header Stud - Replacing Bolt

I don't come on here often, but posted quite a while back about my ZR1 smoking and was given some helpful suggestions. In trying to fix the issue I have tried numerous different things and been unable to get to the area well enough to back the stud out. At this point I'm at a loss as to any other method I could try to get to it well enough to successfully remove it.

I'm wondering how much it will cost to take it to a certified Corvette mechanic, most likely at a local Chevrolet dealership to have it fixed. Since the original issue of it smoking sounds like it's not an uncommon issue I thought maybe someone has taken theirs in to have the issue fixed. I know cost will vary, but any ideas on how much this will cost me?

Thanks!

Last edited by hottrodcrazy; 08-10-2014 at 09:00 PM.
hottrodcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014   #2
Dynomite

Default Re: Passenger Side Header Stud - Replacing Bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottrodcrazy View Post
I don't come on here often, but posted quite a while back about my ZR1 smoking and was given some helpful suggestions. In trying to fix the issue I have tried numerous different things and been unable to get to the area well enough to back the stud out. At this point I'm at a loss as to any other method I could try to get to it well enough to successfully remove it.

I'm wondering how much it will cost to take it to a certified Corvette mechanic, most likely at a local Chevrolet dealership to have it fixed. Since the original issue of it smoking sounds like it's not an uncommon issue I thought maybe someone has taken theirs in to have the issue fixed. I know cost will vary, but any ideas on how much this will cost me?

Thanks!
Your original thread Engine Smoking
Jerry's Solution for Stud Removal

Or......remove the exhaust manifolds which many of us have done often (Find one of those Registry Members close to you with some tools)

I doubt any Chevrolet Dealership mechanics would have a clue regarding the LT5 engine

Last edited by Dynomite; 08-10-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014   #3
hottrodcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Your original thread Engine Smoking
Jerry's Solution for Stud Removal

Or......remove the exhaust manifolds which many of us have done often (Find one of those Registry Members close to you with some tools)

I doubt any Chevrolet Dealership mechanics would have a clue regarding the LT5 engine
I've tried all the suggestions in my original post, but I haven't taken the exhaust manifold off, that's pretty involved and although I could do that, I'm not a mechanic so I'm not sure I want to attempt that. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll give it some thought.
hottrodcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014   #4
WB9MCW

It has been well documented that the LT5 commonly leaks oil out of the header studs side, and leaks down on the cat. If it sits around a couple of weeks, it would smoke badly after about 5 minutes of warm up. On each header side is a stud located in the middle of the header, where it mates to the manifold. The stud is about a 1 1/4" long and has a nut welded on. The stud screws into the block and into one of the oil galleries. With all of the heat generated here, the stud will fail to seal and an oil leak is the result.

CORRECTION - To fix the problem, use the following procedure. 1. Remove the front tire from the side to be fixed. 2. Remove the rear inner wheel well. It has an assortment of Torx and hex head bolts. 3. You will now be able to look at the headers and see the stud, situated between the first 2 and last 2 cylinders. 4. Use a 15mm socket to remove the stud. The nut is welded on to the stud.

NOTE: IT MAY NOT BE WELDED AND JERRY'S TWO NUT METHOD USING A GOOD BOX WRENCH MAY BE THE ONLY WAY TO GET IT OFF. SOME HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO EVEN GET IT OFF AT ALL AND TOLD ME THEY JUST COATED THE ENTIRE CIRCUMFERENCE OF THE STUD AND NUT WITH HI-TEMP RTV AND IT WORKED WELL ENOUGH TO STOP THE LEAK - IT IS A VERY TIGHT AREA WITH THE MANIFOLD ON FOR SURE. I STILL NEED TO DO MINE SOMEDAY AS WELL
SEE NOTE DETAILS BELOW

5. Clean up the stud, and apply a liberal amount of high temp Red RTV to the threads. 6. Very carefully thread the stud back into the manifold. This is the hardest part, as it is very close quarters. Don't drop the stud, or it will fall into the deep crevices of the exhaust tubes. 7. Let the RTV set up overnight, and enjoy a leak free LT5.

8. As long as you have the wheel well out, you might as well clean the air bag crash sensor, located on the frame rail. The right side one gets a lot of AC runoff, which corrodes the grounding. Disconnect the battery ground before removing the sensor. The sensor has 2 different bolts securing it. (13mm and 10mm I think). Once removed, you can clean up the surface and apply some dielectric grease to the surface to keep the water out. The main grounding comes from the bolts, so make sure they're clean.

NOTE DETAILS
Hi Bryan, the nut (at least from the factory) is not welded to the stud. Many times the stud will come out when loosening the nut, but if it doesn't you can get another M10 nut and lock against the 1st one then turning the lower nut back the stud and both nuts out. Reverse process is the best way I know of to re-install the stud, with out a stud driver. Hope this helps...Greg Van Deventer

Bryan, These instructions are correct except for one thing. The nut is not welded to the stud (at least it wasn't on mine). When you loosen the nut, the stud may stay in place. You need to put two nuts on the stud and lock them together to remove the stud. This is easier said than done, because there isn't a lot of room to work. I never did get my stud out. I ended up cleaning it while it was still installed with brake cleaner and coating both the stud and nut with high temp sealer. No leaks for the past two years.

THNX TO ALL WHO HAVE PM'ed AND EMAILED ME ON THIS ISSUE OVER THE YEARS - SOMEDAY I WILL FIX MY LEAK -- LOL
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by WB9MCW; 08-11-2014 at 12:38 PM.
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014   #5
WB9MCW

I JUST READ HOW JOE DID IT -- LOL -- I MAY DO THIS MYSELF AS A TEMP FIX.

"I have the same issue and haven't resolved it yet. I removed the inner fender twice and still wasn't able to get to the stud sufficiently. I probably need better tools also. The egr hose or whatever it's called is in the way, and I didn't want to take too much apart. I spoke to Marc Haibeck about it and he said it's about a 3 hour job and he knows what he's doing. I may just have him fix it, his shop isn't to far from me. I also read on Marc's website to use Loctite 565 on the stud threads. For the time being I made a little drip pan out of aluminum and wedged it under the stud to keep the oil off the exhaust manifold, it seems to be working, it's just a temporary fix.
Joe "
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote