ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-08-2014   #1
XfireZ51

Default Using Sea Foam

Just bought some Sea Foam to help clean out the valves. How does anyone use it?
Fuel tank, spray into plenum? I've previously used Marvel Mystery oil in fuel and oil.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #2
KILLSHOTS

Default Re: Using Sea Foam

I ran a can through my '87 once. Just added it to the fuel tank. Seemed to smooth out the idle on that car a bit, if I remember correctly.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #3
mike100

I helped somebody use it on a 25 year old clunker once. We fogged the running engine through the brake booster vacuum hose. turned the engine off while still spraying and let it soak for a few minutes. Restarted car and rid my block of mosquitoes.

I've heard some people also mix it in with oil, but I wouldn't ever put a solvent in the crankcase. The method reminded me of fogging my jet-ski two stroke with oil to displace the water after running it. Can't be great for the catalysts and I'm not even sure I'd run the same spark plugs after either. It probably does a decent job on intake valve deposits, but then so does bg-44 type fuel injection treatment.

for the crankcase, the best snake-oil product i have ever run into (that isn't a solvent) is the product by AutoRx.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #4
WVZR-1

When used with older carbed engines I would think you would use it like the old GM Top Engine Cleaner and pour to stall, let soak and run balance through with a fast idle maybe like Mike mentions.

With an "injected engine" I would think you might use it like an injector cleaner and use it from a reservoir connected to the fuel rails and disable the fuel pumps. I don't know how you would duplicate the "soak" that we used to do.

If you know someone that has a BG injector cleaner system or any other remote reservoir system (I've used a GM system but years ago) I would think it might work well.

Does Seafoam maybe have a FAQ section that mentions a "how to" for injected engines? I haven't looked but might.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #5
LGAFF

CRC has a dedicated product for it due to the issues with Direct Injection cars. I used it and some Berrymans and picked up 10PSI of compression on a few cylinders.

http://crcindustries.com/auto/intake-valve-cleaner.php
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359

Last edited by LGAFF; 08-08-2014 at 10:28 AM.
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #6
Billy Mild

I have used seafoam on a lot other cars. It does seem to make a difference. What I recommend is letting the car sit for longer than a few minutes. Chrylser came out with a procedure for their combustion cleaner. It is like seafoam but a bit more concentrated.

1. Run the car to get it fully warmed up
2. Take off a vacuum hose and run the combustion cleaner through the engine
3. Shut off the car or let it die out from running the cleaner
4. let the car **** for 4 hours
5. Start the car and proceed to drive on the freeway make sure to get a lot of WOT runs until the exhaust is cleared out.

Your idle should be a little smoother. I have thought about running it in the ZR-1 to help clean the secondaires out.
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #7
Hog

I would use these types of cleaners towards the end of your oil change period.
The only way I personally would add this to the oil, would be to add some and let the engine idle with no revving, and certainly no engine load, followed by an immediate oil change.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #8
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
CRC has a dedicated product for it due to the issues with Direct Injection cars. I used it and some Berrymans and picked up 10PSI of compression on a few cylinders.

http://crcindustries.com/auto/intake-valve-cleaner.php
That makes sense esp. on DI vehicles due to teh fact that they no longer have port fuel injectors cleaning the valves anymore. Akin to a stock LT5 that never sees seconday injector/throttle activation.
Thats a nice boost in compression pressure for sure. Do you think this would help with carboned up piston rings?

Ive seen some Audi owners add methanol injection in order to gain power and keep their DI engines clean.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494

Last edited by Hog; 08-08-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #9
Schrade

In my opinion, it's Snake Oil.

Only snake oil that I ever saw that worked, is Trans-X. It saved me from a $900 tranny rebuild, by swelling the latex seals in the valve bodies of a Ford automatic. That stuff seems to integrate into molecular structure of rubber, and swell it uniformly.

Saw it do the same thing to new rubber LT1 valve cover gaskets, so much so, that they were almost too big.

Not to say that other snake oils don't work, but I've never seen another. And I did all maintenance / fluid changes on my delivery fleet for 20 years.
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #10
pantera1683

I have used it every year in May for the last three years in preparation for emissions testing. Last week I pulled my plenum to replace my starter and discovered all 16 holes inside my lower intake housing look very clean. I think it works pretty well.
pantera1683 is offline   Reply With Quote