ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-11-2014   #1
MickeyD

Default Electrical Help

My cig lighter, visor lights, left hood light, visor lights and glove box lights don't work. All work on same circuit. Thanks to Paul for showing me where the fuses were, however fuse is good. Any suggestions? 1990 MY
1990 ZR1 Red/Black #2469
1990 ZR1 Black/Black #843
1993 ZR1 Ruby 40th Anniversary #112
MickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014   #2
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Electrical Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Take a volt meter and make sure you have 12v at the fuse for starters. And measure resistance across fuse which should be zero ohms.
NO, SILLY WABBIT!! Ya wanna pull the fuse OUT before reading ohms, because if the fuse is open, then thar be volts across it and da meter might not car too much for that in the OHMS range, doanchaknow...(and I know you knew that too, but some reading dis here might not!)

OP: With the fuse in place: With the door(s) open, you can measure the voltage across the fuse. If it reads at or near zero volts, then the fuse is likely good. But, if you read 12 volts across the fuse...then it is bad.

That said, I like pulling the fuse and reading ohms as Cliff said. (Otherwise sometimes they'll fool ya - look good but be open near the bottom, OR the fuse holder itself is defective in some way). More than one way to skin a cat, I recon!

Paul.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 07-11-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014   #3
MickeyD

Replaced fuse, still not working.
1990 ZR1 Red/Black #2469
1990 ZR1 Black/Black #843
1993 ZR1 Ruby 40th Anniversary #112
MickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014   #4
Franke

On the 90MY the left and right hood lamps are on the same fuse (CTSY) so I suspect you may have a bulb burned out in the left one or the connector is disconnected in the left front fender cavity.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014   #5
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
My cig lighter, visor lights, left hood light, visor lights and glove box lights don't work. All work on same circuit. Thanks to Paul for showing me where the fuses were, however fuse is good. Any suggestions? 1990 MY
These aren't all on the same circuit. The visor and map lights in the mirror I'm quite confident are powered by the "CRUISE" fuse/circuit.

The glove box, cigar and under hood are powered by "CTSY" in main fuse receptacle. If one under hood works it's to be assumed that the fuse should have been good as you mentioned. You need to address the glove box, cigar lighter as single issues. The glove box should be simple I'd think and the cigar lighter likely a heating element or the receptacle itself. Check for 12V at the lighter (I believe you'll find it present) and check the glove box light connector (I believe you'll find 12V there also). If you don't your issue is going to be maybe the splice for all and I wouldn't think that or suggest you start poking around either.

Post back with your findings!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-12-2014 at 07:34 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014   #6
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post

That said, I like pulling the fuse and reading ohms as Cliff said. (Otherwise sometimes they'll fool ya - look good but be open near the bottom, OR the fuse holder itself is defective in some way). More than one way to skin a cat, I recon!

Paul.
Also....pulling the fuses reseats them making sure fuse contacts on both ends are continuous

For those with 1991 ZR-1s there is a difference between the 1990 and 1991 Primary and Auxiliary Fuse Panels.

1990 and 1991 Fuses
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote