ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-02-2014   #1
LGAFF

Default Learning to tune....

just bought a Moates ALDU1 going to start doing some data logging, once I understand that I will progressively moving towards "tuning". Thought I would post up the progress of what I learn and what I have to buy to along the way.

This is my first purchase, once I get it will add software, etc

http://www.moates.net/aldu1-and-cabl....html?cPath=64

Is there interest in this type of thread?
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014   #2
Schrade

Default Re: Learning to tune....

Absolutely interested here Mr G...

I want to know how to WRITE TO, not just READ FROM ECM...

Mine works great for reading, but I'm interested in fixing this problem that Marc says ALL LT5's have, at 1.6% to 2.4% Throttle Opening........................
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 07-02-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014   #3
Hog

Moates should have all the parts to "burn" calibrations onto chips for install into the ECM.

He sells reading/writing equipement(read/write the chips), in addition to the datalogging equipement that reads the sensor data that is pictured above.

John at Tunercat sells the chip reading/burning equipment for $215. I deal with John, his support is excellent. If you need a parameter added to the Vehicle Definition Files(VDF's) he will do so. http://www.tunercat.com/cables/OBD1kit.html

Tuning threads are always cool.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014   #4
LGAFF

I will buy the parts as I progress. I spoke with a rep at moates and discussed what I need. I think one of the most confusing things about tuning is that you get everything thrown at you at once, so many options and choices....so I will start with basics and work my way up.
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
Old 07-02-2014   #5
Franke

Sounds like a good start and plan Lee. I would like to do the same some day but too busy right now. I will follow your posts with interest.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014   #6
LGAFF

Picked up a used Innovate wideband lm1; older model.....but I think it will work and price was right! Maybe one of the tuning heavyweights can comment????
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
Old 07-02-2014   #7
1990 quasar blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
just bought a Moates ALDU1 going to start doing some data logging, once I understand that I will progressively moving towards "tuning". Thought I would post up the progress of what I learn and what I have to buy to along the way.

This is my first purchase, once I get it will add software, etc

http://www.moates.net/aldu1-and-cabl....html?cPath=64

Is there interest in this type of thread?
Definitely interested. I purchased everything to do the same about a year ago. Unfortunately I got intimidated by it pretty quick. I wish there was a way to get it done via remote admin or something similar.
1990 ZR1 #2574
Medium Quasar Blue Metallic
1 of 19
1990 quasar blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014   #8
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
Picked up a used Innovate wideband lm1; older model.....but I think it will work and price was right! Maybe one of the tuning heavyweights can comment????
I have an LC1 that is brand new in the box, you can daisy chain the LC1 with LM1 for both sides

As for Tuning.. I have been happy with Tunercat and Also been using Tuner Pro. I have a ADX (Datalogging) configuration for the 1990 ZR-1 that works well. I use it with my ALDLDroid datalogger

Also I have the VETuner that works well for the VE Tables at part throttle.. but I have yet to release it, I made a new build of the application but I am not sure Dominic has been able to check it out

I really need to start tuning more.. I am planning on incorporating the Moates Burn1/2, Ostrich and APU1 to my VE tuner at some point..

Then if I get really gutsy I can add ALDL, it takes time that is short for me at the moment.. but I can think big
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014   #9
XfireZ51

Jeff,

Actually used new build of VETuner for my latest calibration. Seems to work fine.
Based on the net changes, pretty well done w VE changes at this point. Just doing some fine tuning right now on some other points.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #10
mike100

Not sure if it is even possible with the GM ecm's, but I wish the TunerProRT hit-tracing feature was functional. I would love to see what areas on certain tables are being called on during any given load situation.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote