ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-08-2014   #1
Rumbln70SS

Default Trans Questions.....Hard Going Into Gear

Hey all, brand new owner here!

I just got the car and I have some questions about the transmission.

It's extremely hard going in and out of gear, particularly first and reverse. The other thing I notice is when the clutch is in and the car is in gear or I am trying to get it in gear, it creeps forward. The clutch grabs low on the floor so I don't think it's worn out. Is there some type of adjustment?

Something else I notice a good bit of noise when the clutch is out and it's in neutral.

Help is greatly appreciated!

1970 SS Chevelle 396 with a 580 BBC
1974 Corvette Roadster
1990 Corvette ZR-1 Modified #952
1993 Firehawk (His)
2002 Firehawk (Hers)
2008 BMW 335xi DD

1988 S10 Drag Truck - Best ET 10.13@131
Rumbln70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014   #2
We Gone

Default Re: Trans Questions.....Hard Going Into Gear

First, Check the clutch master cylinder under the ECM just above the battery, be sure the fluid is not empty. The noise you hear may be the duel mass flywheel.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014   #3
Rumbln70SS

Steve,

Thanks buddy, I appreciate it! Does this look right? LOL

This car has a Spec stage 2 clutch and aluminum Fidnaza flywheel. Learning all the time.

1974 Corvette Roadster
1993 Firehawk (His)
2002 Firehawk (Hers)
2008 BMW 335xi DD

Last edited by Rumbln70SS; 06-08-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2014   #4
csavaglio

Welcome to ZR-1 ownership. First, with the problems your describing, don't drive the car until it's sorted. Problems with the clutch not disengaging will quickly do very expensive damage to your transmission. ZF-Doc, probably the best builder of ZF transmissions, said to me that this is the most common cause of damage he's seen over the years.

Your clutch pedal should start to release fairly high up on the pedal travel. If it's releasing low, there's a problem with your hydraulics. If it creeps with the clutch pedal pushed in, it means it's not fully disengaging.

One of the first things I do on any 6 speed vette is to pull the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder and send them to Jim Jandik at Power Torque Systems to be rebuilt. Jim's done 3 or 4 sets for me. His work and customer service is first class and the turnaround is fast. I believe he's around $120 to rebuild both. He uses OEM parts that he bought out when the original company got out of the business.

http://www.powertorquesystems.com/index.htm

It sounds to me like your either low on fluid (which means there's a leak since the fluid level raises as the clutch wears) and/or your master or slave is worn out where they're not getting the pressure and travel you should have.

These are typically neglected items and can do major damage to the transmission if not working properly. Unless you know for sure they were just done, I'd send them out. 120 bucks is cheap insurance for a $2000-4000 transmission.....

Chris

Last edited by csavaglio; 06-08-2014 at 10:04 PM.
csavaglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #5
RICHARD TILL

You`ve found the problem. Fill it up, monitor it`s level and search for possible leaks.
RICHARD TILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #6
csavaglio

I can't see the photos here at work. But if it's missing fluid, it went somewhere...be careful, because it can leak behind the master cylinder like a brake master cylinder and the slave can leak into the boot and into the bellhousing.

Good luck!
Chris
Old 06-09-2014   #7
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

I would change the clutch fluid (don't just fill it up)

The cause could be old fluid, not just lack of

Also change the trans fluid too...

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #8
csavaglio

I got home and checked the pic. I wouldn't trust it if it got that low. The fluid went somewhere. There's nowhere for the fluid to go unless there's a leak somewhere. Typically, it's the slave that goes first and you'll see fluid where the pushrod comes out inside the rubber boot. You might see fluid behind the master cylinder if you crawl up under the dash and look at the firewall. Less likely, it could be the line itself or a loose fitting.

Either way, with the fluid looking that black, it's unlikely any of those components have ever been properly serviced. If it were my car, I'd send them off for rebuilding. Don't go to the parts store...the ones they sell are junk....cast cases instead of welded, poor quality and they don't fit right.

I had Jim rebuild the ones on my LT4 cars and my ZR-1. Amazing the difference even on my Z, which weren't leaking but had degraded in stroke and hydraulic power.

Oh, and the noise you're hearing is from the lightweight flywheel. The original, heavy, multipiece unit dampened the noise. In my current LT4, I have a heavy single piece flywheel and I get some grumbling from it when in neutral and when easing very gently from a stop.

Chris
Old 06-09-2014   #9
Rumbln70SS

Guys,

First off, thanks so much for responding, I really appreciate it! After some additional investigation, it looks like the slave cylinder. Ever since I got the car on Memorial Day I have had some spots of fluid under it. Honestly I thought it was engine oil but now after closer inspection, it appears to be clutch fluid.

Per Chris's reccomendation I have sent an email to Jim inquiring about pricing to rebuild/exchange both and the turnaround time. I am no longer driving the car either. I'll probably give Jim a call tomorrow as I'm sure he is busy like everyone else.

What looks like a little bit of dirty fluid in the bottom of the master is actually a coating of muck as best as I can describe it. I'm sure the slave is the same way.

A rebuild and fresh fluid will hopefully straighten the shifting woes out.

As Dave suggested I will also be changing the tranny fluid....what do you guys reccommend?

Thanks for explanation of the tranny noise with the aluminum flywheel......I might need to put some dynamat in this car!

I'll keep you all abreast of my progress!

1974 Corvette Roadster
1993 Firehawk (His)
2002 Firehawk (Hers)
2008 BMW 335xi DD

Old 06-09-2014   #10
csavaglio

Glad you'll get it sorted. Jim's a great guy and the turnaround is fast. He'll explain everything on the phone. He uses all OEM stuff and you're parts will be better than new when he's done. As I recall, they were around $120 plus shipping in a flat rate box. The last set he did for me was about 3 or 4 months ago.

As far as tranny fluid goes, I use Amsoil Synchromesh Transmission Fluid. As far as I know, the only current stuff on the market that the ZF builders recommend is the Amsoil, GM oil (which I don't believe is recommended by ZF themselves) and Castrol TWS 10w-60. The Castrol fluid is actually the motor oil they use for the BMW M-series cars. It's expensive....around $20 a quart and the only place I've seen it is at the BMW dealer.

I used the Castrol fluid a while back in one of my LT4's, but switched to Amsoil. I had no problems with either, but the Amsoil shifts a little smoother since it's a little thinner. It's also a bit cheaper and, the big plus, I don't have to go anywhere near a Bimmer dealer to get it....

Oh, when you do the transmission oil, make sure you can remove the fill plug BEFORE pulling the train plug.....

Chris

Last edited by csavaglio; 06-09-2014 at 11:28 PM.