ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-15-2014   #1
captlwr

Default advice needed

I'm a previous Corvette Owner having owned a 63 Coupe (327/300 w 4-spd), an 86 Z51 Coupe with 4+3 Manual and an 06 Coupe with auto (terrible!!) - I was at a big Auction America Show today at the Ft Lauderdale Conv. Center - among the cars that did NOT sell was what looked like a pristine example of a 95 ZR-1 with 48,000 miles - black on black (and I've actually seen the car locally on the street a few years ago!) - pretty LO VIN # (in the lo 100's) - and the Owner was asking $29,900 which seemed almost like at steal to me! Always been enamored of the REAL ZR-1…………when I checked a few selling prices online the price asked seems "too high" - yet I fully remember the ZR-1's, when new, going for $90,000 at Dealers…………what should I be looking at with this car?? I know about the LT5 engine but as for "condition" not sure just "what" to look for - the car presented as pretty immaculate……………Larry
captlwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014   #2
We Gone

Default Re: advice needed

Find a ZR-1 owner in your area and he will most likely go with you to look at one.

Here are some tips

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Market...yersGuide.aspx

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014   #3
captlwr

well …. many thanx for your advice - but after reading the link you sent me - I have to admit that it pretty much scared me off, lol!!!
captlwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014   #4
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlwr View Post
well …. many thanx for your advice - but after reading the link you sent me - I have to admit that it pretty much scared me off, lol!!!
Typical Low Mileage ZR-1 Issues (Audio, Injectors, Clutch)
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014   #5
8cam

Or you could do what I did. Show up, drive it, buy it. Worry about the consequences later.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014   #6
Dynomite

Default Just Do It

Quote:
I just last week drove home a low mileage (38,000 miles) 1990 ZR-1. I did an inspection that took about 15 minutes and the first thing to note was the overall condition of the car (was it well taken care of). Then fire it up. If it was well taken care of you can usually assume the engine (LT5) is good to go as they are about as solid an engine as I have ever come across.

Injectors and clutch slave leakage are usually cause of frustrations of some previous owners as well as the Bose sound system/CD and speakers. ALL easily replaced/restored.

As an example ...... the Bose sound system on this 1990 did not work on any speakers and the CDM had been removed and just set back near where it was originally as someone gave up on the sound system restoration. I fixed the sound system including re-installing the CDM correctly for $20 in parts...all speakers work better than ever before with fade, base, treble working perfectly.

I have three Zs and all had small issues (big issues for previous owners) which frustration is probably why I am now the new owner of these ZR-1s

All were owned by guys who I am guessing did not do their own maintenance and that was the issues finding guys who could maintain a Z without breaking the bank. None of those ZR-1 previous owners were members of this forum that I am aware of.

It really is not about breaking the bank....it is about knowing how to fix the small stuff which on a well cared for ZR-1 is all that you really need to fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cam View Post
Or you could do what I did. Show up, drive it, buy it. Worry about the consequences later.
Exactly what I did

Typical Low Mileage ZR-1 Issues (Audio, Injectors, Clutch)

Last edited by Dynomite; 03-16-2014 at 03:19 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014   #7
fletchusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cam View Post
My experience started with a buddy looking at a C6 shooting me a text saying "there's a ZR-1 here". Six weeks later it was still there taunting me so, showed up, drove it, bought it! The small issues have been normal 19 year old car stuff.
fletchusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014   #8
Z51JEFF

What exactly scared you off?
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014   #9
scottfab

Quote:
well these cars are not for everyone . maybe you should stay with the early 60's model.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014   #10
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
That list is fairly comprehensive, far as stuff found on a collection of 20 year old cars. If the specimen you've found appears to be clean and well cared for, chances are some or nearly all of the items listed are not an issue.

Just saying...The LT5 is bullet proof, and most of the stuff listed is superficial/simple fix stuff. OK, that said, being able to do you own wrenching is almost a per-requisit for any 20 year old car, especially one as unique as the ZR-1. This Registry, and the people on it is what gave me confidence to go ahead and purchase my Z. It turned out to be a wonderful experience; the car and especially the people!

I hope you reconsider. You'll never know what your missing!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote