ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-31-2014   #1
Meanmyz

Default ...more "exhausting" questions.

My car is currently at Marc's getting his 350/510 package.

After doing much thinking on the subject of exhaust, during the time frame of our first SW group buy, I decided on:

- SW headers (factory connection) with cats.

- Corsa exhaust

One thing I have learned since then, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that:

- Having headers with the factory connection point means that they NO LONGER are considered "long tube headers" as talked about on Marc's site for power upgrades.

Is this true?

Also, in reading some comments in another exhaust thread about headers without cats being VERY loud..."annoying and attracting unwanted loud attention", I am now wondering...

1. Will my SW headers with factory connection points, attached to high flow cats and Corsa exhaust, be "annoying and attracting unwanted loud attention"?

2. For the fact that my headers have factory connection points, (which makes them "shorty headers"?) will they have an adverse effect on torque band and horsepower?

(I understand that cats will slightly drop HP but might help with less tinny sound)

For "those in the know", I appreciate your input. Thanks!

Last edited by Meanmyz; 01-31-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Meanmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014   #2
We Gone

Default Re: ...more "exhausting" questions.

I can only comment on adding cats, I also have Marc's 510 package. I have SW long tube headers. I went from Flomasters with high flow cats to Corsa without cats.
It sounded great at WOT but I did not like the hollow tinny sound at low RPM's. Before I went back the Flowmasters I added the high flow cats back to it. Sounds much better lost most of the tinny sound and has a deeper sound.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014   #3
edram454

get rid of the cats if you can. power robbers. get a resonator to get rid of the drone. try to use the long tube headers as "long tube" headers should be used, dont cut them. by cutting them you will lose some of the benefits of scavenging heat and the cats just suck up power. On my c5, the cats insides were blown out the exhaust pipes during dyno tuning. As soon as the guts blew out I picked up 25 horse.

ed ramos #3028.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014   #4
Schrade

You adding the pipes there Meany? Or is Marc?

If you're doing it, post snappics if you would... I'm gonna' add OBX's pretty soon here.

Anybody else got shots of pipe-work install? Tips?

(not tryin' to boost your thread here Meany)
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014   #5
mike100

SW does sell adapters to hook up to stock cat-back/ factory connections that you can use on long tubes (not running cats). shown in link below- theoretically no welding -maybe on the passenger side, but I can attest that the ball flange on the driver's side works like a champ mating to the stock pipe set or on a Corsa.

http://www.stainlessworks.net/catalo...16/image/1294/

You can run cats on long tube headers if you really want to bad enough:
more recycled Z06 parts- LS7 catalysts using what was left of my SW adapter tubes (slip on collector fit).
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #6
Bob Eyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanmyz View Post
I understand that cats will slightly drop HP but might help with less tinny sound
If you are environmentally sensitive, or live where there are strict emissions laws, cats are a good option. But I would not choose them to affect sound quality. An X pipe does more to smooth out sound, and improves performance.

My car (below) has a "no compromise" system. It's quite loud, and resonant in the 18-2,300 rpm range, but note the trap speed in the quarter mile, and indication it is putting out very good hp. (for an otherwise stock engine).

Marc is the best judge on how the length of your header tubes will affect performance. He's building it for you, pick his brain.

1991 ZR-1 White/Black #1236 (Owner since 1994).
Stock engine with bolt-ons: Hurst shifter,"Forced Air" intake, Coplon duct, Bee Cool Radiator, Demon coils, Jeal prom, Watson headers, X pipe, 3" B&B's, Rippie flywheel, 4:10 gears, A molds, Toyo Proxes-R888's 12.06@117mph. 1.76 60ft.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #7
WARP TEN

My experience with five or six different systems over 2 Zs and 20 years is that having cats softens the sound. They also cost several horsepower, from about 5 to 10 hp depending on high flow vs stock type ceramics. Marc can provide the power info, and he also has noted improvement in sound with them. After a total of about 15 years with Corsas (and cats), which I liked the best, I have now gone back to a stock system with no cats and cutouts. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #8
Kevin

friend of mine had a headers/no cats/corsa car and it was great to drive, quite inside, loud but not obnoxious outside and sounded good...if you like the sound of corsa
Old 02-01-2014   #9
bradley

my 90 runs with a 21/2 in dr gas set up x pipe and spin tec mufflers ,car has jeal headers corey henderson tune and plenum and injector housing porting .its run 12.10@119.47 mph in 90 degree weather @ famoso in mac farland ca. . this run is on you tube. if any one wants to hear how it sounds .
bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #10
Meanmyz

Thanks for all of your responses guys. I appreciate your input.

For sure, with cats, as it has been written many times (and on Marc's site) with cats, expect to lose around 8 HP. I'll just expect at worst 10 and hopefully it will be less.

My biggest "enlightment" since buying headers, is that MY headers are not considered "long tube headers" for the fact that the tubes have been cut, a foot or so, short for the cats.

This sounds "common sense" but for my un-enlightened case, I assumed that headers, (as produced for the ZR-1), are "long tube headers" (I have seen other headers for other vehicles that definitely for most obvious reasons, can be nothing OTHER than "shorty" headers.

The newly learned point for me being: for "long tube headers" the length of the primary at the back end is of some importance to HP or torque variation, before the collector. Right?

My other question was whether in your opinion, you found my exhaust combination "too loud". I know this is subjective, but I have appreciated your inputs.

Last edited by Meanmyz; 02-01-2014 at 09:43 PM. Reason: words made no sense
Meanmyz is offline   Reply With Quote