ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-20-2012   #1
BlackbirdZ07

Default Dipstick tube seal?

1990: I've got the oil pan off to replace the gasket because it looked like it was leaking oil, and to recover a hose I dropped down into the crankcase while replacing the breather cover gasket under the plenum.

It looks like the dipstick tube seal may also be leaking because there's oil/grease/dirt right around where it goes into the block and on about the bottom inch or so of the tube itself. It's a little hard to tell because I had oil leaking somewhere up high in the front on the passenger side and it could be blowing back... I already replaced the oil filter housing seal and a couple of the oil sensors. I will also replace the crankshaft position sensor seal.

Anyway, I already bought the dipstick tube seal from Jerry, but how exactly do you replace it? The manual just says to loosen the exhaust manifold bolts and pull the tube out. When looking at the exhaust manifold section, it says to remove the wheel well panels and a couple heat shields before getting to the manifold. What exactly do you have to do to remove the dipstick tube? Can anybody give me any tips? Thanks!
BlackbirdZ07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #2
Scrrem

Default Re: Dipstick tube seal?

The dipstick tube attaches to one of the manifold bolts, to access the bolt, it may require removing the fender skirt. Once you do that, I believe you can loosen the bolt (may have to remove it, can't remember). and pull out the dipstick tube. The seal should stay attached to the tube when you remove it. Try to clean around the plug area before removing the tube so you don't accidently push a bunch of gunk into the dipstick tube hole when cleaning and re-installing. Clean up the tube, install new seal and push firmly into the hole in the block. Try to keep downward pressure on the tube while tightening up the tube bracket.
Rich
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #3
BlackbirdZ07

Thanks! I'll pull off the fender skirt and see what I can see. Good to know I'll be looking for a bracket on one of the bolts.
Old 03-21-2012   #4
GOLDCYLON

Jerry's gaskets has these seals as well
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #5
BlackbirdZ07

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Jerry's gaskets has these seals as well
Already got the seal from Jerry.