ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-11-2012   #1
Bob Eyres

Default 91' Running Rough

I just woke up the old beast (91' 66K mi., stock motor, original injectors.) after a few months sitting in the garage. After warmup it idles smoothly and drives normally with the power key off. But at half throttle and above it feels down on power and there is a definite miss, (a sort of flatulence
I always run it with the power key on, (and I'm always winding it up, so it just doesn't need to be "blown out" . It wasn't until I shut the power key off today that I could clearly feel that there's a problem with the secondary induction.
It's not like the secondaries are not opening, there's no vacuum problem. Before starting, it builds vacuum in about 3-4 seconds. When barely warmed up it had plenty of power to get sideways when I when to second gear, but later, I put the pedal down in third and fourth, and above 3K it's missing and chugging.

I put a bottle of Techron injector cleaner in the tank. So we'll see if that helps.

Any thoughts? Has this happened to you?

1991 ZR-1 White/Black #1236 (Owner since 1994).
Stock engine with bolt-ons: Hurst shifter,"Forced Air" intake, Coplon duct, Bee Cool Radiator, Demon coils, Jeal prom, Watson headers, X pipe, 3" B&B's, Rippie flywheel, 4:10 gears, A molds, Toyo Proxes-R888's 12.06@117mph. 1.76 60ft.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #2
VetteMed

Default Re: 91' Running Rough

Original injectors would be my bet.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #3
tomtom72

Default Re: 91' Running Rough

Yes, vote #2 for the OE injectors falling prey to the ethanol in our gas now a days.....or maybe the secondary fuel pump or both..maybe.

If it's hot and the power key is off you can eliminate the ignition system if she runs smoothly in "normal" power mode.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote