ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-10-2012   #1
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Exclamation Call for Papers/articles!

As some of you may know, I was asked to consider picking up the job of editor for the Registry magazine, stepping in (or into it!) after Phil resigned due to his heavy job work and travel load responsibilities kept him away from being able to focus the attention to the Registry that he feels it deserves.

I said I would be happy to do it, if the board so desired, and the board voted on it. All I have to say is, "Be careful of what you wish for!!

Well...As I have said, the magazine was initiated before the internet and this forum web page, and was the sole beacon for information on all things ZR-1. But, since then times have changed.

The forums indisputably fill the broader need of information "on demand". Without the internet - without the ZR-1 Net Registry(!) owning a ZR-1 would be an entirely different experience for most of us. I think it is safe to say that a lot fewer of these icons would still be on the road, and certainly not seen still in "ballz out" track competion as they still are today if not for the network of Brothers and this forum. A quarterly magazine would have a difficult time meeting the scope of topics and discussions we take for granted by accessing the forums.

So, the question is: "What need is there that the Registry could best provide, and how can it suppliment the forums, and in what ways?"

Well, I'm just putting that out there to let you know that if you have ideas with regard to adding value to the Registry magazine, the door is always open.

Having said that and in the near term, I'm officially extending a "call for papers" to anyone that has a story, or technical article, or an event to report or share, or calendar items perhaps that they might like to have put in the next edition, please PM me with the details, and questions.

Thank you...Thank you very much!

Paul.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #2
Gunny

Default Re: Call for Papers/articles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
"Be careful of what you wish for!!
Paul, there will probably be more than a few moments when you throw up your hands and utter that phrase more than a few times ...

that said, "Thank You" for stepping up and volunteering for an important job within the Registry's structure.

One observation ... it's really easy for the rest of us to "duck" the responsibility of helping out when there are many members within the ranks with a good "how to" article, a good story to tell, and on and on. And the rest of us really enjoy reading these articles. More than once I've read some really good "articles" posted here on the forums ... they are not really "articles" yet, but could be made to be with just a little effort. So here's to encouraging all of us to come up with some ideas for articles for the HOTB newsletter and even more importantly, write the articles.

Paul, as I mentioned in an earlier conversation, I will be in touch with you for article(s) and/or reports concerning membership news & concerns.

Do you have a deadline in mind for submission of articles? Thanks.

George Jones
Founding Member #14
www.zrwon.com
Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #3
Blue Flame Restorations

Paul, being someone who is soaking up info as I go, maybe one feature could be related to Restoration/How To articles. There have been several Threads dedicated to re-habbing someone's "Z". I'm probably biased towards these threads since this is "My thing" so to speak.

Another area could be "Who Paid It Forward?" or "Who Helped Who with their list of projects?"

Activities and Get Togethers also seem to be a good read.

Highlighting some of the tuners, Pete, Marc, SGC, Corey, etc., may also be interesting reading.

These things may have been done before yet could still be good educational material, as well as putting a name with a face.

Just random thoughts
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #4
FU

Thumbs up Re: Call for Papers/articles!

Good thought's at that Brett

Thank's Paul for stepping up to the plate for the club.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #5
HAWAIIZR-1

P,

Thanks for taking over this huge responsibility. I have never felt smart enough to contribute to tech articles, but I do think that I would like to do what I can to help out. I'll try to think of things to do or suggest and document what I can with some of the projects I have coming up. I have never had anything bad to say about any of the folks that have been making the Registry what it is today and unless you are in their shoes, we have no idea how much work and effort is put forth in the background.

Aloha,

Craig
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #6
Paul Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
P,

Thanks for taking over this huge responsibility. I have never felt smart enough to contribute to tech articles, but I do think that I would like to do what I can to help out. I'll try to think of things to do or suggest and document what I can with some of the projects I have coming up. I have never had anything bad to say about any of the folks that have been making the Registry what it is today and unless you are in their shoes, we have no idea how much work and effort is put forth in the background.

Aloha,

Craig
AMEN!

I attended my first conferance call last week - a first lifting of the lid to see what was cookin' in the pot, and to see what it takes to produce this stew we call the Registry. Almost overwhelming - and the dedication to the "minusha" of details and issues that arise! I now have a WHOLE NEW appreciation for the BOARD and time they have volunteered to donate since it's inception!

Plenty of opportunity to lend a hand - communicating "stuff" specially!

P.

90 #1202
Sans secondaries

Old 03-11-2012   #7
cvette98pacecar

I had the opportunity to meet Paul and Ami yesterday for dinner, It was a great opportunity to meet a fellow ZR-1 owner. I had a wonderful time and cant wait to meet the remainder of the FBI guys at Marks for the BBQ. I would not mind seeing a small section in the news letter that is a meet and greet, Take 5 or so Members and get information on them and their car. I chat with a lot of members of the registry and have no clue what they look like or what car they have.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car

Last edited by cvette98pacecar; 03-11-2012 at 12:19 PM.
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #8
Kevin

my father and I ran the local corvette club newsletter for years and I know how had it can be to get stuff together. I'll see what I have kicking around that I can polish up and get out to you
Old 03-11-2012   #9
Paul Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
my father and I ran the local corvette club newsletter for years and I know how had it can be to get stuff together. I'll see what I have kicking around that I can polish up and get out to you
Thanks, Kevin!

P.

90 #1202
Sans secondaries

Old 03-11-2012   #10
jcruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Having said that and in the near term, I'm officially extending a "call for papers" to anyone that has a story, or technical article, or an event to report or share, or calendar items perhaps that they might like to have put in the next edition, please PM me with the details, and questions.

Thank you...Thank you very much!

Paul.
Paul, thanks for taking on the responsibility!

Is there any preferred format or guidance on the article? Any particular file format? Pictures and picture format okay? etc?

Thanks,

John
1992 #043, Aqua/Gray 40k miles
jcruz is offline   Reply With Quote