ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-01-2006   #1
MIZR1

Default ZR-1 Control Arm and Swaybar Bushings

I plan to replace the upper and lower control arm bushings and the sway bar bushings with polyurethane bushings. The chart at the link below indicates the ZR-1 has 26 mm front and rear sway bars and that the ZO7s have a 30 mm bar. My first question is whether all ZR-1s have the 26 mm front swaybar, or are some equipped with the ZO7 bar?

http://www.vettenet.org/susp_chart.html

My second question is can anyone confirm my understanding that the upper and lower control arm (front) bushings are the same dimensions on the ZR-1 as for standard C4s.

Thanks in advance for any help.
MIZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006   #2
tomtom72

Default Re: ZR-1 Control Arm and Swaybar Bushings

I'm no suspension expert but I just looked over at partszoneonline.com and all the control arms in the 90 mod yr are all the same so I would think that the control arm bushings are the same.

I don't know what to tell you about the swaybar applications. All I know about that is you can "change" or "tune" from understeer to oversteer to neutral by changing bar dia's but tread contact patch and spring rate has bearing on the tuning. Most street cars from the factory are "tuned" to have understeer for public use, even high performance cars. Oversteering cars are a bit more than a regular person can handle.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #3
ZR-1 Mack

http://www.energysuspension.com

Hey Glenn

Check out this link when you get a chance. I found it in Corvette Magazine.

RM
ZR-1 Mack ... 91 ZR1 Black/Black #487 NY
ZR-1 Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #4
MIZR1

Thanks, Ron. I had seen that site, but it does not confirm the diameter of the stock ZR-1 sway bars. On another site, it is suggested the rear is 24 mm, contrary to the above chart. I am hoping for some definite confirmation.

Glenn
MIZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #5
Tom

I would suggest getting under the car and measuring the bars, then you are sure what size they are.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #6
Jerry#397

Glen,

My 93 ZR-1 had 24mm rear bar and 26mm front bar. I measured them, couldn't believe it as the charts were showing 26mm for both. I then looked up the build code for spring rates on the build sheet and found that the car was built with the FE1 (soft ride) suspension. Further investigation found that a number of the cars were built that way; also found the ZR-1 spring rates changed in 1992 to a much softer spring up front.

I have changed the bars to 32mm front (couldn't find a 30mm) and 26mm in the rear (both solid bars). Recommdations were 30mm front and 26mm rear.
Good luck trying to find a 30mm bar, the general has discontinued them.

Thanks,
Jerry
Jerry#397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #7
Locobob

My 91 has 26mm front and rear bars. Never heard of any Z's having other than the 26mm front bar from the factory. As you can see above some may have come with 24mm rear bars. Measure the bars with a dial caliper to be sure. Front control arm bushings are the same as a normal Vette.

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote