ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-19-2011   #1
RHanselman

Default Just logged over 1400 miles in the new Z!

Well I flew out to KC to pick up the new Ruby (#140) on Friday night. The salesman picked me up in the morning and took me over to the dealership on his way to work. Worked out pretty slick...

First impressions: Wow... Car is in really, really nice shape. The interior is perfect and the radio/speakers even worked. Everything seems to be stock with the exception of the replacement windshield (ZR-1 style) B&B's, engine SS bolt kit and engine paint. The engine is clean as a whistle...

The Drive: Well it took about 100 miles to get her back in shape. Nothing I didn't expect from having picked up two other Z's that had been sitting for a while. The suspension and tires need to warm up before the car feels like a Z again. All the shocks were operating at different rates, the tires were out of round and the bushings were all stiff... After that 100 miles was up everything was back to normal... I was impressed by the lack of rattles and squeaks. They all seem to have at least some... Other than that, the drive from Denver to Las Vegas is one of my favorites. It's hard to beat the views and the car performed as advertised!

MPG: Not the best from what I've had before. 21 MPG @ 80 MPH all the way to Denver and then 22 MPG from Denver to Vegas. The last Ruby I picked up from Long Island did 24 MPG to BG (following FU) and then 26-28 MPG (after Mark Haibeck tuned her at BG) BG to Vegas. She seems to run great but I'll be pulling the plugs and checking the injectors. From what I can tell, she has the stock tune.

Some spirited driving: I made one short blast to a buck 25 and all felt fine. My favorite places to feel the power were getting on the highway. I just love the sound of the LT-5 winding through the gears. And BTW - the secondary's are defiantly working!

I also have a love hate relationship with the B&B's. I love the looks and the sound around town or winding through the gears. But as you know, driving cross country with stock gears is painful to the body and ears! Luckily I brought along a noise canceling headset and some tunes! Because I'm planning on lots of highway driving I'm going to swap out the B&B's for the stock system or the Corsa's. Both are much, much better on the body! BTW - #99 comes with the original stock system so it will probably make it onto the car in the next month or so... I believe she get's shipped out of Hawaii on the 23rd.

One important blunder... I took the north route because of the weather. The weather was perfect all the way back. The blunderous part was that I didn't check the temps. I woke up in Rifle CO to an outside temp of 16 degrees. All I had was a thin coat, thin gloves and you guessed it, a thin hat. Not exactly the kind of gear you want to have if you breakdown in the middle of southern UT 100 miles from civilization and in a car you barely know... Well, if you stop learning, it's time to quit!

Cheers,
RH
Founding Member #80
CM Lifetime Member #1093

1991 #383 Twin Turbo
1993 #099 Ruby, Jeal 368 w/Snake Skinner body
1961 White with Red Int
RHanselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #2
ScottZ95ZR1

Default Re: Just logged over 1400 miles in the new Z!

Great to hear that car turned out to be such a beauty, Ron, and glad you're back home safe to enjoy it.
ScottZ95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #3
mike100

I'd chalk up your 2-3 mpg less to winter blend gasoline and the elevation.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #4
Blue Flame Restorations

Envious, for sure................
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #5
tomtom72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame Restorations View Post
Envious, for sure................
make that two! See I'm green with envy!

Use her in good health Ron!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #6
VetteMed

Sounds like a fun trip!
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #7
LGAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHanselman View Post
Well I flew out to KC to pick up the new Ruby (#140) on Friday night. The salesman picked me up in the morning and took me over to the dealership on his way to work. Worked out pretty slick...

First impressions: Wow... Car is in really, really nice shape. The interior is perfect and the radio/speakers even worked. Everything seems to be stock with the exception of the replacement windshield (ZR-1 style) B&B's, engine SS bolt kit and engine paint. The engine is clean as a whistle...

The Drive: Well it took about 100 miles to get her back in shape. Nothing I didn't expect from having picked up two other Z's that had been sitting for a while. The suspension and tires need to warm up before the car feels like a Z again. All the shocks were operating at different rates, the tires were out of round and the bushings were all stiff... After that 100 miles was up everything was back to normal... I was impressed by the lack of rattles and squeaks. They all seem to have at least some... Other than that, the drive from Denver to Las Vegas is one of my favorites. It's hard to beat the views and the car performed as advertised!

MPG: Not the best from what I've had before. 21 MPG @ 80 MPH all the way to Denver and then 22 MPG from Denver to Vegas. The last Ruby I picked up from Long Island did 24 MPG to BG (following FU) and then 26-28 MPG (after Mark Haibeck tuned her at BG) BG to Vegas. She seems to run great but I'll be pulling the plugs and checking the injectors. From what I can tell, she has the stock tune.

I also have a love hate relationship with the B&B's. I love the looks and the sound around town or winding through the gears. But as you know, driving cross country with stock gears is painful to the body and ears! Luckily I brought along a noise canceling headset and some tunes!

Cheers,
RH

Come on Ron, MPG and noise complaints from a fighter pilot? Whats the noise level and MPG on your work vehicle(Jet).....but then I guess if you are always traveling faster than sound, maybe noise is not an issue
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #8
WB9MCW

Enjoyed the report! Enjoy your new Ruby!
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #9
Tyler Townsley

Try these:

http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/products.html

I was running old B&Bs with x pipe without resonator, it was just too loud. I had a couple of these 3" 31" from a previous system for a 68 427. Put them on and is loud but not much more than stock. 396CI, port top end first set of Jeal headers with stage 2 cams.

Tyler
68 Torch Red
88 ZR1 Blue
90 ZR1 White
Tyler Townsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011   #10
RHanselman

Just received a call from the Shipping company about #99. They said she left port today and will arrive on the west coast in approximately 5 days. It will then take them until Jan 4th to unload and have her ready for pickup on the mainland.

Timeline:
Drop off was 4 days prior to shipping
Sail time is about 5 days
Unload and prep is another 7 days
Shipping to Vegas is 1 day

So, about 17 days... or around the 5th or 6th of Jan...

I didn't realize how much time goes into loading and unloading one of those container ships!
RHanselman is offline   Reply With Quote