ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-05-2011   #1
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Da 500+ HP Club

Hey, now I think I really know what Paul and others have mentioned about these motors when you pump them up to the 500+ HP range. I have not completed fine tuning or dyno yet and not sure how having the SGC Stage 1 cams add or take away from it, but this thing is a "BEAST" now.

I cannot even imagine what the big cube motor are like, but then again there are folks like Pete that can make a 350 do some wonders. For the first tme yesterday I really pounded my car after waiting for a good break in period since my entire drivetrain was rebuilt. I really love the 4.10 gears and think it is perfect for my driving style after putting over 500 miles combined freeway and city.

My feeling is I need new tires even though they are low mileage with almost full thread, but about 7 years old (Michelin Sport Pilots) since they spun all the way through 2 into 3rd and even had to let off a little due to getting squirrely on the rear. I am not used to this kind of power yet and it really scared the crap out of some co-workers and Commander that I gave a rides to. I mean this car is violent now and I'm truly loving it. The good thing is at my work on the small military post we have, I have over a quarter mile stretch to pound on it so more practice with launching and getting a feel of the sweet spots are in order. I'll have to get a co-worker to help me take some videos and photos.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011   #2
tomtom72

Default Re: Da 500+ HP Club

Waaaay cool Craig! I'm glad for you that the end result of all that labor of love was a BEAST!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011   #3
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

"VIOLENT"... What a perfect description!

Congratz Craig! Welcome to the club!! You deserve it! (I gotta git me some o dem 4.10s too!)

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011   #4
HAWAIIZR-1

Tom/Paul,

Thanks for the comments and words of encouragement. I have a hard time describing it and the ZR-1 in stock form is no slouch by any means and I was quite happy with the bolts ons and easy stuff. But, when you really open up the heads on these motors with full porting I was simply trying to explain that is is another world letting the LT5 breathe. I always felt that bolt on intake and cat back exhaust or even headers on internal combustion engines are limiting unless you can get the heads to flow what is coming in and exit with the proper porting. As it shows on Marc's major upgrades I see that highest HP gains on the early motors are from the heads. I know there are a few other masters at this, but I have no doubt that Greg VanDeventer is one of the best even if conservative. I can't wait to get my headers back on and X pipe after my second attempt next week at passing the emissions. So I guess I'm not even really at the 500 HP range since the stock manifolds are on. Man, I want those headers back on since I was breaking it in when those were last on; that is another 20-25 HP? I'll get it dyno tuned after the headers/xpipes. That should keep me grinning for awhile.

Craig

Old 11-05-2011   #5
mike100

I just got a chance to drive a 600hp C6-Z06 so I know what you mean. I need to work on a hustle to get around Cali smog inspection- I have to have that level of power now.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011   #6
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
I just got a chance to drive a 600hp C6-Z06 so I know what you mean. I need to work on a hustle to get around Cali smog inspection- I have to have that level of power now.
I can only imagine what 600hp feels like. That must be a rush...........

Old 12-15-2011   #7
HAWAIIZR-1

What the heck does a 415 feel like? I gotta get this car tuned and dyno as I have to know the results of this new found power. Today I got temp tags so I can drive it again as I prep for emission testing. When I got on it this morning heading over the bridge near work it scared the crap out of me but I did not let off, hit redline (6,800 Harlan light) and a bit pass and it wants more. The revs are unbelievable quick with the aluminum fidanza and 4:10s. This car is bad *** as it is right now there is no need for more power.

I know this is not new for all the guys with the high HP LT5, but for me I am still trying to get used to the new power since I just broke it in. The LT5 is one friggin amazing motor and I was able to build it in my garage minus the all machine shop balance of rotating assembly, porting work to heads, IH, plenum, TB bored out, etc. It really seems like it loves to be beat down and reved to max RPM, but man when it hits the sweet spot the G force is incredible. I love my ZR-1 now more than ever... This is a whole different car now over just all the bolt ons. I'm ordering my X pipe and getting the headers back on and then I will have another new thrills. I just have to make sure I don't wrap it around some pole over here in Japan with the tight streets and roads...........

Old 12-15-2011   #8
Blue Flame Restorations

Sounds like you're having a blast. That's what it's all about!!!!

I'M JEALOUS!!!!
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011   #9
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Sounds like you're having "too much fun"... if there IS sucha thing!

So, have you had a chance to give any of your Japanese gear-head friends a "taste" of the BEAST yet? And, on those roads, (if they're like the ones in and around Tokyo)...Driving the Z at WOT would be like a bull in a china shop!

Congratz on a job well done, Craig. BTW, I don't recall what it was that caused your "valve trouble" on your first attempt at firing it up; bent a few, as I recall. What was the deal there?

FWIW, I played around with my shift light - maybe a dozen or so rolling starts - and ended up at 7200 for my shift. As you said, you were going a little past your 6800 "light" - and it was still pulling. Welcome to the madness of a fully ported LT5!!

As for what a 415+ might be like...I'd rather not find out - just yet, anyway.

I had the chance to pilot Pete's green monster - do a few WOT pulls while he road "bitch" to do some tuning. I had just started driving my completed 500 package, but Pete's car is on another level still! I tossed him his keys afterward, and told him I didn't need to be doing anymore of that just now (having finished taking my piggy bank apart and putting the Z back together).

Bob G mentioned riding in his big inch car someday. Like a moth to the flame...that's me. But, I'll resist until I own a pizza joint and then can afford one!

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 12-16-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011   #10
tomtom72

Craig, just bear this in mind at all times now!!!! Cold tires = no grip!

It sounds like you will have to keep that in mind always. Oh, the tough job of having too much HP!!!

Tom

Yes I do have a bad case of HP envy!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote