ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-21-2011   #1
captcorvette

Unhappy More occasional no start issues.

I am still having periodic no start issues. Car has had VATs issues for a long time. Latest no start seems to be tied to the driver?s door courtesy light. Seems when opening the driver?s door and the light does not come on. The car will start. When opening the door and the interior lights do come on----? The car will not engage the starter. Have checked my FSM but cannot see why this might happen? Could it be an issue with the driver?s door switch? Or the lock position on the passenger?s door? Sorry folks but when it comes to chasing sparks I am not the sharpest knife in the box. Any and all help appreciated. For any who are interested there is quiet a history on this issue and my username is the same on both forums

Last edited by captcorvette; 03-21-2011 at 05:15 AM.
captcorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #2
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: More occasional no start issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcorvette View Post
I am still having periodic no start issues. Car has had VATs issues for a long time. Latest no start seems to be tied to the driver?s door courtesy light. Seems when opening the driver?s door and the light does not come on. The car will start. When opening the door and the interior lights do come on----? The car will not engage the starter. Have checked my FSM but cannot see why this might happen? Could it be an issue with the driver?s door switch? Or the lock position on the passenger?s door? Sorry folks but when it comes to chasing sparks I am not the sharpest knife in the box. Any and all help appreciated. For any who are interested there is quiet a history on this issue and my username is the same on both forums
A leeetle more info, por favor?

When you say "no start", Does the starter turn the motor?
If the starter is turning, I believe VATS is not an issue (not 100% sure tho...), so that leaves spark, fuel and air.
Fuel pressure? Fuel pressure should be between 45-50# with the key in the ON position (engine not running, of course). Pull a couple plugs. Are they wet with fuel? If so, then it may be spark.
Spark? Does it not start when just hot, or does that not matter? Check to see if it is sparking.

Gotta run to work, just now, but whatever info you have will help.

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #3
captcorvette

Nope starter won't engage. Lights on the radio and instrument panel get a bit dim but starter won't turn. Jumping it with a spare full charged battery (yes I have been carrying one with me for months) still won't engage the starter. Leave it along for anywhere from half an hour to over night and usually it will fire right up. Just letting it sit seems to correct the situation. Security light some times is on and sometimes not. And no logic to it like no start with light on and start with light off. Sometimes starts with light on then goes off and sometimes starts with no light and light stays off. Other weird item is information center no light until turning the park lights on. Have checked ground under battery and under a/c condenser. Cleaned and put new correct grease and no change.
Old 03-21-2011   #4
bobbyhi

I'm sure Mr TC will post his famous by-pass relay switch install for you. Did the trick for me a few years ago and no problems since.
1990 #2405 White/Gray
Haibeck chip,4:09 gears,Power Effects Exhaust,5 spoke chrome,C5 brakes,49th Street rockers,K&N,Hurst,Headers,Upper & lower ported

Minnesota State Director
Founding Member #19
bobbyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #5
rhipsher

Your starter solenoid is toast. Time for a new starter. If it starts when the engine is cold but wont when the engine is hot and you have to wait until the engine cools off a bit and it starts then is time for a new starter. Do the purple wire test. If you have juice to it then again its time for a new starter.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #6
XfireZ51

You can get a solenoid rebuild for $25 on fleabay. Fixed my starter problem.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #7
captcorvette

Great news on the rebuild on ebay. Will give it a look.=D>
Old 03-21-2011   #8
mike100

might want to use some kind of scanner to verify the VATS condition. The factory style Tech1's show that as one of the data values- I'd imagine some universal cable and laptop interfaces would as well.

either that or probe the wiring harness to see if the starter relay gets activated.

post a link to the solenoid rebuild info as a lot of us may someday need to do the same repair.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #9
tccrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyhi View Post
I'm sure Mr TC will post his famous by-pass relay switch install for you. Did the trick for me a few years ago and no problems since.
Ahhhaaa....
The DNS.
(Dreaded No Start).
My favorite topic.

The DNS is a specific condition that is associated with a no start situation when attempting a hot re-start.
You drive the car for a period of time, shut it off, and when you turn the key to restart, nothing happens.
The generally accepted hypothesis is that when hot there is additional resistance somewhere in the starting circuit that reduces the starting voltage to some critical value and then the starter solenoid won't engage.

My patented mod involves a minor re-wiring of the starting circuit, something GM should have done from the very beginning.
Since my mod involves hacking into your wiring harness, be absolutely sure that you've exhausted every other possibility.
Lots of good reading over on Dynomites Solutions page:
http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11619
and here:
http://zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_nostart.htm

The DNS condition is generally accepted to be a hot restart condition only.
If your no start happens when cold, then you've likely got something else going on.

My patented DNS mod, props to IowaZR1 for his mad diagramming skillz.
http://www.zr1.net/forum/showpost.ph...0&postcount=13

TomC
'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]

Last edited by tccrab; 03-21-2011 at 11:40 PM.
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011   #10
captcorvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
Your starter solenoid is toast. Time for a new starter. If it starts when the engine is cold but wont when the engine is hot and you have to wait until the engine cools off a bit and it starts then is time for a new starter. Do the purple wire test. If you have juice to it then again its time for a new starter.
Thanks. Will check the purple wire.