ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-16-2011   #1
falconfling

Default 10,594

1963 corvette split window coupes were built.....how many survive ? 100 ? less ? more ? Have you looked at the prices for em....not counting the 40+ years of fun they gave their owners.

My point, which I ask over and over again, with no real feedback, is how many 1990-1995 zr1s exist ?

Anyone have a wag ? A website, or source ? What are the stats for attrition for ANY car.

They are fun as Hell to own and drive, but I am always curious about rarity...c'mon, there were dammed few built and fewer still surivive. One day collectors will wise up...I know I could have bought a '63 split window in the mid 70's for a few thou... What will prices be for the few hundred 93-95 zr1's in 10-15 more years ? They seem to have really taken a hit on prices now.

gary
falconfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #2
tccrab

Default Re: 10,594

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconfling View Post
1963 corvette split window coupes were built.....how many survive ? 100 ? less ? more ? Have you looked at the prices for em....not counting the 40+ years of fun they gave their owners.

My point, which I ask over and over again, with no real feedback, is how many 1990-1995 zr1s exist ?

Anyone have a wag ? A website, or source ? What are the stats for attrition for ANY car.

They are fun as Hell to own and drive, but I am always curious about rarity...c'mon, there were dammed few built and fewer still surivive. One day collectors will wise up...I know I could have bought a '63 split window in the mid 70's for a few thou... What will prices be for the few hundred 93-95 zr1's in 10-15 more years ? They seem to have really taken a hit on prices now.

gary
Gary:

I'd guess that a lot of the '63s are still around, even though you don't see them very often.
Don't forget that a lot of people had the post in the middle cut out and the '64 glass installed as a safety improvement.

Of the 6939 production ZR1's made I'd have to guess probably 3/4 or more are still road worthy.
There's a list of known totaled ZR1's over on the Net page:
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_buying.htm
Looks to be a good 50 or more are known losses.
There's pretty much a steady stream of used LT5's that show up on eBay indicating that yet another one has bitten the dust.

The real question is, how many 0 mile ZR1's are tucked away in plastic bags in garages or warehouses?

TomC
'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #3
VetteMed

And as we've discussed before, it's not just the numbers produced/surviving that are goign to come into question. It's how time will reflect on the "legend" that the cars are/were. The midyears are considered one of the landmarks of the muscle car era, whereas the ZR-1 is unlikely, in my opinion, to become such an icon. Those of us who know the cars, will always appreciate and recognize them for what they are - but to the majority of people out there, it's "just another C4 with a weird motor that I can't get parts for".

The truth may hurt, but people are dumb.
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #4
mike100

I think you may see LS3/LS7 conversions into some high mileage ZR-1's eventually. Then again, cars do have a fairly high part-out value.

I bought a 69 Camaro in 1988 and prices were approaching $5000 for a regular driver back then- Maybe $8k for a big block. I sold it for decent money, but the value of those cars didn't really take off until the year 2000 or so...about the time you just didn't see any on the road anymore. Of course there had been a couple of hundred thousand 1st gen Camaros built.

The best C4's are the 95's and 6's. If I get another it will be a 95 or 96 (and not necessarily a ZR-1). LT4's will have value someday as well.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote