ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-19-2010   #1
White Bullet

Default No power; No check engine

Well I replaced the injectors, coil packs and plug wires. Put it back together and it does not run well. Symptoms are ruff idle, no power under acceleration; misfires occasionally. I drove the car for awhile and at no time did the check engine light come on. My thoughts are I may have the wires landed incorrectly. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 09-19-2010   #2
TFENT

Default Re: No power; No check engine

I have a similar problem with mine right now.

Some things we need to assist you:

Fuel pressure reading? idle and WOT
Plugs? How old?
Injectors: What brand? Source?
Vacuum check done?
TFENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010   #3
Hammer

Talking Re: No power; No check engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Bullet View Post
Well I replaced the injectors, coil packs and plug wires. Put it back together and it does not run well. Symptoms are ruff idle, no power under acceleration; misfires occasionally. I drove the car for awhile and at no time did the check engine light come on. My thoughts are I may have the wires landed incorrectly. Any thoughts? Thanks.
That would defintley be something on the "to check" list. Certainly wouldn't be the first time wires were crossed, don't ask me how I know. Depending on which wires were crossed, I've seen anything from a small misfire to backfires and flames coming from the carburator.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #4
White Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFENT View Post
I have a similar problem with mine right now.

Some things we need to assist you:

Fuel pressure reading? idle and WOT
Plugs? How old?
Injectors: What brand? Source?
Vacuum check done?
The plugs are new, Injectors are from FIC they are the new ones that look like the originals. and the vacuum pump comes on for a few seconds and stops and does not cycle. As for the fuel pressure I will have to get a pressure gage to check. I will pull it back apart later this week and check the wires and test the coils even though they are new who knows one could be bad. Man this sucks!
Old 09-20-2010   #5
White Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
That would defintley be something on the "to check" list. Certainly wouldn't be the first time wires were crossed, don't ask me how I know. Depending on which wires were crossed, I've seen anything from a small misfire to backfires and flames coming from the carburator.
Don't you wish the new wires came with numbers on them!!! I tried a perment marker to identify them and the numbers wiped off as I passed them behind the fuel injector housing. This time I will feed them through one at a time and plug them up as I go .
Old 09-20-2010   #6
TFENT

Quote:
The plugs are new, Injectors are from FIC they are the new ones that look like the originals. and the vacuum pump comes on for a few seconds and stops and does not cycle. As for the fuel pressure I will have to get a pressure gauge to check. I will pull it back apart later this week and check the wires and test the coils even though they are new who knows one could be bad. Man this sucks!
Well, I am seeing a common denominator here IF the plugs are plugged in correctly. I too have those new FIC injectors and have the SAME issues you do. They just sent me a replacement set to try. I will get those in sometime this week and keep you posted as well.

IT SUCKS BAD! I know...
Old 09-20-2010   #7
White Bullet

TFENT

When I purchased my injectors I got the impression that they were going to flow match them prior to shipment. Did they tell you anything like that or say they tested them before sending them to you originally? I am curious as to whether they test them or boxed them up and send them out. I sure hope it is not the injectors !!!
Old 09-20-2010   #8
TFENT

Quote:
TFENT

When I purchased my injectors I got the impression that they were going to flow match them prior to shipment. Did they tell you anything like that or say they tested them before sending them to you originally? I am curious as to whether they test them or boxed them up and send them out. I sure hope it is not the injectors !!!

They did say they were flow matched. However I can't help but to see a very similar problem with a common denominator. I do not want to jump to conclusions. In addition I can't help but to recall several members of this forum stating over and over about how things being "new" doesn't mean a thing. This puts injectors at the top of the list of viable culprits.

The other thing I am gonna do to mine is throw a new set of O2 sensors in since I am getting a lean code...
Old 09-20-2010   #9
pantera1683

Quote:
Don't you wish the new wires came with numbers on them!!! I tried a perment marker to identify them and the numbers wiped off as I passed them behind the fuel injector housing. This time I will feed them through one at a time and plug them up as I go .
You can buy numbered sleeves that fit over spark plug wires. They work great. Try Summit/Jegs
pantera1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #10
White Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFENT View Post
They did say they were flow matched. However I can't help but to see a very similar problem with a common denominator. I do not want to jump to conclusions. In addition I can't help but to recall several members of this forum stating over and over about how things being "new" doesn't mean a thing. This puts injectors at the top of the list of viable culprits.

The other thing I am gonna do to mine is throw a new set of O2 sensors in since I am getting a lean code...
I hear ya! Although I think my problem may be wire related I plan on checking each wire and coil to ensure they are good. If the wires and coil check out and they are routed correctly the I will focus on the injectors. I fully suspect everything new I installed. I am only hoping it will be something simple that I overlooked .