ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-08-2010   #1
secondchance

Default Post clutch replacement/"C" beam plate install report

As some of you may know from a thread in southeast section WAZOO clan replaced my clutch in a 94 and installed C beam plate while at it.
Darrin was kind enough to find a real LT5 service clutch kit w/ correct pressure plate at a real good price.
Also, I called zfdoc and took his advise to replace pilot bushing. He recommended fluted brass bushing w/ axial groves but I elected to use the piece that came with the kit which had one radial grove. It was interesting to note old bushing slid right out due to wear (my clutch has at least 80,000 miles on it).
While the transmission was out I replaced back up switch - a lot easier w/ transmission out of the car.
During reinstall we added the "C" beam plate.
Being a 94 this car had a relatively quiet transmission. Nonetheless, occasionally I could hear light throwout bearing noise while sitting at a light w/ clutch pedal out and, more annoying, reverse lock-out ring buzzing while accelerating in 2nd gear. In retrospect, I think worn out pilot bushing was responsible for this buzzing because after the clutch replacement all annoying noises are totally gone! No more throwout bearing noise (as light as it was) and no more buzzing in 2nd gear, notta!!! - dare I say it sounds like Lexus manual tranny?!! - there! I said it.
As for the C beam plate, I can tell with certainty that these pieces certainly tied tranny to reaf diff for sure. My shifter would jump somewhat whenever shifting through gears. This shifter movement, although still there, has been drastically reduced.
Despite 5hours of hard labor, I am ecstatic about the result including effect of C beam plate.
Ofcourse, I took the opportunity to degrease the transmission, inside the C beam and tranny tunnel.I know no one will ever look in there but still makes me feel good.
Again, there is no way I could have done this without having access to Jim's lift and WAZOO guys help in all aspect including locating correct parts, nut busting, heavy lifting etc... Thank you David, Jim and Darrin.
I thought I would share my experience on the subject.

Last edited by secondchance; 09-08-2010 at 07:48 PM.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote