ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-15-2010   #1
MikeG

Default CLUTCH - NO MORE! - Update

OK Brothers, I need your help and advice.

My clutch on #135 (91) has been slipping off and on for the past year. I kept putting off the replacement (really dumb - I know) because one time it would slip - power take off, then the next time it wouldn't. One of those slipping time, it was slipping bad (smokey and stinky) - but only in first.

Anyway - it gave up the ghost yesterday and need to replace it. I currently have a CENTERFORCE clutch. I really like it, so looking for a source to replace it -- or your recommendations for replacing it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. If you have a recommendation, I would like to have the source and cost.
[FONT=Impact]91 Turquoise Mettalic #135[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact]1HOTZR1:cool: [/FONT]

Last edited by MikeG; 08-11-2010 at 05:59 PM.
MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010   #2
Hammer

Talking Re: CLUTCH - NO MORE!

Summitt Racing, spensive $800

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTF-DF063084/
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010   #3
A1990

Default Re: CLUTCH - NO MORE!

Mike:

Are you running single mass flywheel or stock dual mass? I am running fidanza single mass with Spec 3+ clutch. $699.00 or less...Nice unit.
90 ZR-1 #2562 Atomic-Z
ZR-1 Net Registry Chairman of the Board
ZR-1 Net Registry Treasurer
A1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010   #4
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

I bought mine at AutoZone. The assembly was a "Dynapak", but actually is the Valeo (OEM) part. I got it for just under $300 including the TO bearing and plastic guide, and it has a lifetime warranty.

Sometimes you will get the LT1/4 clutch pressure plate from AutoZone (and others?) which work as well, but you will need slightly shorter bolts. Those are available too - no biggie.

IF your clutch was slipping/burning, you might have cooked your flywheel, i.e., it may now have some hard spots on it and be needing to be replaced too. If after you check it out and decide to replace it, I have a good used one I'll part with. Lemmeno!

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010   #5
rhipsher

What A1990 said. I got mine for $629.10 http://www.lmperformance.com/44263/25.html And even though this http://www.lmperformance.com/spec.asp shows it as being a sprung disk it's not. It's solid. Works just fine.

Last edited by rhipsher; 07-16-2010 at 12:37 PM.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010   #6
MikeG

Thanks guys for the posts back. I am currently in Spearfish, 4th day of our Black Hills Corvette Classic. The Z is in a shop waiting patiently for my return - a VERY good friend loaned my his 96 to drive out here.

Have talked to a couple of ZR-1 guys here, but have said LT1 is cheapest way on 1 said that is Heibecks recommendation - so thought I'd ck with me when I got home on Monday. Cory has responed asking what the problem is, sent him normaly email, waiting for response.

I have not checked any of the links yet, but thanks. Our Classic is one busy week end. Spent most of the day helping at the autocross, resting before going downtown for Vette Street. Have to get up at the crack of dawn (almost) to lead a tour group to Mt Rushmore for breakfast and then onto the Needles Hwy and Iron Mt Road. I'm glad 135 gave up the ghost when it did - in the middle of the Black Hills is no place to lose a clutch!

Thanks again for the posts.

Denny - flywheel is alloy, single mass - don't know who's, nothing in the papers that came with the car.

Won't know what shape it's in until we crack it open. Mechanic doesn't want to start until parts are on hand, but will talk to him about poss. of flywheel damage.

I'll keep y'al posted!
Old 07-17-2010   #7
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post

Denny - flywheel is alloy, single mass - don't know who's, nothing in the papers that came with the car.

Won't know what shape it's in until we crack it open. Mechanic doesn't want to start until parts are on hand, but will talk to him about poss. of flywheel damage.

I'll keep y'al posted!
Well, Hey! U may be in luck!! IF it is like the single mass Al Fidanza, the friction plate (steel?) is bolted on and can be replaced - intended for that purpose! So, it may NOT be sucha big deal after all!

Well, here's to hoping! Sounds like you're having a blast out in Spearfish!

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 07-20-2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Correction: one friction plate, not 4.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010   #8
rhipsher

You just can't go wrong with Corey H. & Mark H.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #9
MikeG

Clutch arrivied from Corey (Spec Stage 1) this afternoon, will start the removal and replacement tomorrow.
Spent a couple of days last week trying to find a stock clutch. None to be had (at least not from any of the stores here: Advance Auto, Auto Zone, O'Rileys, Napa and a couple of local on line sites) Talked to a tech at RAM clutch (they would sell me a clutch kit, with an alloy single mass flywheel - but I already have that and they would not sell me just the clutch, press plate, etc - "It's a kit, ya know!") - Tech did say the FORMER malufacturer was no longer making stock clutch plates - so if they are out there they will be rare and pricey!
One local shop said they could get me one - wouldn't tell me the source, but did say they could get it for 580 + shipping - got a whole lot better deal then that from Cory!!!!
Hope to have the clutch in and finished by the week-end - have to go on a 500 mile break in trip (directions said lots of stop and go traffic, but NO HARD LAUNCHES
Old 07-28-2010   #10
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
You just can't go wrong with Corey H. & Mark H.

Wurd
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote