ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-09-2010   #1
Jason 91

Default Jump Starting

I've been traveling quite a bit this winter and very busy when I'm home so needless to say, the ZR-1 hasn't been driven much.

Surprise, surprise, I have a dead battery.

I do not take even the simple things for granted on this car so any issues/concerns/special tips to jump start this thing? I plan to follow the normal procedures and it looks like the best place to attach the negative on this car would be the frame directly beneath the upper radiator hose.

Thanks,

Jason
Old 01-09-2010   #2
Dynomite

Default Re: Jump Starting

I am going to JUMP START this server in a bit.....using my Z 12v battery.

I will connect the Z 12v battery directly to my router.

Are you ready Z Factor?

WOW.....now several hours later after I hooked up my Z 12v battery to my router to attempt a jump start of this server (blew the damn router to smithereens and am now on dial up) this server is now (at least for these few minutes) performing at great speed

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-10-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010   #3
XfireZ51

I disconnect negative battery cable
whenever the car sits for long periods. I think it also helps cut down on electrolysis.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #4
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
I disconnect negative battery cable
whenever the car sits for long periods. I think it also helps cut down on electrolysis.
Great point

Some others try the trickle chargers but I am not sure if they actually extend battery life or not.
Old 01-10-2010   #5
xlr8nflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Great point

Some others try the trickle chargers but I am not sure if they actually extend battery life or not.

I use a Ctek 3300 float/pulse charger - thing rocks and you can get them $60 shipped on ebay. It absolutely extends the life of your battery and is extremely easy to use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHSI_qHOI4U

I prefer to never jump a car unless its absolutely necessary. If I do jump it, its not from another vehicle, its from a portable Jump starter battery.

My preference would be in this order:

1) Charge
2) Jumper Box
3) Cables

Charging the battery is the safest approach. Odd things can sometimes happen to electronics particularly if you hook up the cables wrong etc or voltages spike. There is a slight risk when you jump and electronics are expensive and tough to troubleshoot. Your risk is zero if you charge the battery.

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 01-10-2010 at 02:14 AM.
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #6
Dynomite

xlr8nflorida

My only exception to your informtion is that I carry jumper cables in all my cars/trucks including my Z which means this is my first choice on the road. I have used them often with great success including the jumper cables in my Z. I would have to say however, that my most often used choice in my garage is to charge the battery with a battery charger

If a dead battery is a repeat occurance, I would check the battery for BAD cells using an inexpensive battery hydrometer (the one with 4 floatable balls of different density). As the battery discharges, the specific gravity of the acid diminishes. A fully charged battery will float 4 balls.

If your battery is a sealed battery this method will not work obviously since you cannot get to the acid

In the latter case, a load test of the battery will tell you the condition of the battery. WalMart for example can perform a load test (battery out of car)

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-10-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-10-2010   #7
Aurora40

If your battery is dead, it's probably better to put a charger on it than jumpstart the car. If you jump start it, then the alternator is going to have to strain to charge a dead battery. If you charge the battery first, it won't, and you won't have to jump it.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #8
xlr8nflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
xlr8nflorida

My only exception to your informtion is that I carry jumper cables in all my cars/trucks including my Z which means this is my first choice on the road. I have used them often with great success including the jumper cables in my Z. I would have to say however, that my most often used choice in my garage is to charge the battery with a battery charger

If a dead battery is a repeat occurance, I would check the battery for BAD cells using an inexpensive battery hydrometer (the one with 4 floatable balls of different density). As the battery discharges, the specific gravity of the acid diminishes. A fully charged battery will float 4 balls.

If your battery is a sealed battery this method will not work obviously since you cannot get to the acid

In the latter case, a load test of the battery will tell you the condition of the battery. WalMart for example can perform a load test (battery out of car)
I won't argue your point because I've used cables as well with good results. However, in my opinion if you want good cables that work well, they should be thick and often run about $50. You also now need to find someone to help you with a jump. If you shop around and get on a sale you can get a really nice jump box in the $80 range with good cranking amps. You are then self sufficient. I also bring mine on my boat so it serves double duty for me. Sometimes different trucks/boats are on different voltage systems which can also cause problems with electronics.
With using you charger or charging box, you can control the variables. Charging is also easier on your alternator and if you are going take the car somewhere, its better with a full charge on it then just a jump because unless you are not going shut the car off for a long time, the alternator won't have enough time to recharge the battery.

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 01-10-2010 at 09:26 AM.
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #9
Jason 91

Thanks for the feedback on this.

I actually hooked it up to a charger last night and am monitoring it. I will probably just disconnect the battery from now on since I do not know when the next time I will drive it will be between the snow, the cold and my frequent travel back to NY.

For those of you in warm climates, I envy you! :-(**|=

Jason
Old 09-23-2016   #10
lfalzarano

If you are forced to jump start your LT5 with jumper cables, where do you connect the negative jumper cable to a good grounding point in the engine compartment on an LT5?
lfalzarano is offline   Reply With Quote