ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-07-2011   #1
SillyB

Default Nitto NT05 vs 555R

I am deciding between the Nitto NT05 & 555R. I have searched the forum, as well as all over the internet and found good reviews of both tires. The problem is that there are people in both camps with pros and cons, but most of the info I found was not specific to ZR-1s, or even Vettes. I was pretty set on the 05s, but now I'm not sure.

Has anyone had experience with both of these tires to compare and contrast?

My Z has 4:11 gears, Borla Exhaust, a homebrew of the DRM 500/415 package and a few other little upgrades. I have hard, old Sumis right now and I can't stand the way I break loose in 1-2 & even 3 if I hit it hard. I drive about 2,000-3,000 miles a year in sunny SoCal. I might see one day in the rain per year. I don't do the track or the strip, but I do enjoy stoplight challenges and 0-90 on the freeway on-ramps. I also live near the foothills and like to do some canyon driving.

If I go with the 555R will I lose the grip on turns in exchange for the sticky launches? Other people have said that the 05 won't launch as well, but is better in turns. Also I have heard both claimed to wear longer than the other, but I realize neither is great. Price difference is like $15, and both are in stock sizes and available today.

Anyone care to make recommendations? Thanks for sharing your wisdom!
SillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #2
USAFPILOT

Default Re: Nitto NT05 vs 555R

i have the 05 and they are great so far. i have never ran any other nittos, but i think they grip better than my michelin ps2 on my 18's. part of that is surely the larger sidewall on the 17" wheel and the solid center tread block. they are a great tire but i wouldnt expect them to go nearly as many street miles as a street only tire. they start off with half the tread anyway.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #3
SillyB

USAFPILOT, Thanks for sounding in. How would you rate the traction on launch? Do you have trouble hooking up?
Old 02-08-2011   #4
Scrrem

I have the same problem hooking up at the strip with my GY's, I wonder if these NT05's would be a better compromise that investing in a seperate set of drag radials.
Rich
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #5
TFENT

I have the 555 on my Z plus several other vehicles in my garage. I love them and live in SoCal. I have not "raced" on them but every time I am in the Z it sees speeds up to 120 and I am VERY aggressive in my driving habits. I have a rule, if u have a weak bladder DO NOT get in the Z with me.

That being said I do have a race car I run the Kumho's on and these are not far off from those tires. They have not broken on me yet on the street and have been very predictable. I would say 5 stars on the fun factor.

OK after I got off my soap box I realized you are talking about the R not the reg 555. Sorry...

Last edited by TFENT; 02-08-2011 at 03:19 PM.
TFENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #6
SillyB

TFENT - I have the 555 (not R) in 18s on my 1990 454ss and I have been very happy with them. Although the motor is built and the suspension is upgraded on the truck it still doesn't pull like the Z, and I didn't think that the non R would hold me down enough. Are you able to drop pedal to the floor on a rolling start and not light the rears up?
Old 02-08-2011   #7
TFENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyB View Post
TFENT - I have the 555 (not R) in 18s on my 1990 454ss and I have been very happy with them. Although the motor is built and the suspension is upgraded on the truck it still doesn't pull like the Z, and I didn't think that the non R would hold me down enough. Are you able to drop pedal to the floor on a rolling start and not light the rears up?
Correct, I can roll and stomp on it and its nothing but pure acceleration. Almost zero wheelspin. They are pretty sticky tires. The only way I can get my Z to break them lose is to mash it and clutch it and that doesnt last all that long.

I had a set of Yoko's on it before and it would lite them up under 1/2-3/4 throttle...
TFENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #8
USAFPILOT

NT05 will hook, especially when they are warmed up. There are some C6 Z06's out there that have broken their half shafts while running the NT05. Saw those threads over on the other forum. So far mine are fine...hehe. One thing I did do was drive in a down poor right when I first got them and they were ok in the wet. I wouldn't et to confident in the rain, but at 60 on the freeway they were fine. Like anytire though they will get worse as they wear down. Those two big grooves must channel alot of water though.

I didn't even know there was a 555(R). I dont think there was when I got my NT05's.

Last edited by USAFPILOT; 02-08-2011 at 05:01 PM.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #9
SillyB

Thanks USAFPILOT. That is a big deciding factor, and it's nice to hear from someone running the same car and wheel. I had heard that about a Z06s hooking so hard they broke stuff, but that a was on a 19" and I think in a 335. Your experience with a Z is far more valuable to me than all the C6, Mustang and SRT8 forums' info on these tires. That's why I wanted to start this thread!

On the 555R, they are actually an older tire. You can read here: http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....highlight=555r , and on a few other posts that people were happy with them. It even looks like Haibeck had recommended them. I just worry that the Drag Radial might be a little too soft a sidewall for cornering. It sounds like the 05 might be more of a compromise between both worlds.
Old 02-08-2011   #10
xlr8nflorida

I only have the 555R's on the rears. I am running GoodYear F1 SuperCar tires on the front of my Z.

Some guys run the 555's in front or 555RII.

I love the tires for traction. Just wish I could have gotten them in 335 as they are rounded in the corners as opposed to square so they are slightly narrower then say a GSD-3 even though the spec sheets on both tires look identical.

The best person to talk to would be at Nitto.

If it were me I'd go 555 up front and 555R on rear and call it a day. They are fairly inexpensive. Just don't expect alot of mileage out of the rears.

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 02-08-2011 at 06:03 PM.
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote