ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-18-2014   #31
csavaglio

Default Re: Trans Questions.....Hard Going Into Gear

I think you'll be ok on the slave. I believe the difference is the angle that the bleed screw is set at. It points straight down on the later one.

If it doesn't work, though, Zip is now carrying correct, stamped steel bodied slave cylinders (as opposed to the cast junk you get at most parts stores and mail order places).

I second your thoughts on Jim. He was great about answering my questions on bleeding the system after I got the rebuilt units back on the car. One trick, after you get the initial bleed done, is to jack the rear of the car up and let it sit overnight. The hose connection is at the rear of the slave and at the front of the master, so putting the car up at a nose down angle, helps let the air work it's way to the top.

I don't bother with the bleed screw on the slave cylinder once there's a little fluid in the slave cylinder. Basically, I fill the master, crack open the bleed screw and work the clutch until fluid starts coming out the bleeder (into a tube to keep the mess down). Then I close up the bleeder and start working the clutch down to the floor and back up. Just make sure you keep fluid in the master cylinder's reservoir.

C

Last edited by csavaglio; 06-18-2014 at 10:27 PM.
csavaglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014   #32
Rumbln70SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by csavaglio View Post
I think you'll be ok on the slave. I believe the difference is the angle that the bleed screw is set at. It points straight down on the later one.

If it doesn't work, though, Zip is now carrying correct, stamped steel bodied slave cylinders (as opposed to the cast junk you get at most parts stores and mail order places).

I second your thoughts on Jim. He was great about answering my questions on bleeding the system after I got the rebuilt units back on the car. One trick, after you get the initial bleed done, is to jack the rear of the car up and let it sit overnight. The hose connection is at the rear of the slave and at the front of the master, so putting the car up at a nose down angle, helps let the air work it's way to the top.

I don't bother with the bleed screw on the slave cylinder once there's a little fluid in the slave cylinder. Basically, I fill the master, crack open the bleed screw and work the clutch until fluid starts coming out the bleeder (into a tube to keep the mess down). Then I close up the bleeder and start working the clutch down to the floor and back up. Just make sure you keep fluid in the master cylinder's reservoir.

C
Thanks for all the tips Chris! When I talked with Jim, he gave me the suggestion of installing the slave with the line and using an oil can with a hose attached to the bleeder to force the fluid up to the master, so we'll see what works.

I got my parts back on Friday, but due to all the issues with my BMW needing a water pump I have not installed them. I will be doing the job tomorrow evening.

Below is a shot of the completed parts. I didn't have Jim do all the paintwork he normally does on the parts because honestly I am more interested in getting the car up and running than the minor details. Once it's a solid driver I'll do the detail work.

Below is he inside of the slave that came on my car. As you can see, it was beyond repair and another indication the car sat for a while.

This came in today as well.....I have an aquaintance that is a dealer so I figured I would try it out to see if the trans shifts cleaner, plus I know what's in it. I'll do the fluid change after the master/slave is on to see what the difference is with each update.

Wish me luck! I hope to have it on and bled by Wednesday with the Wife's help.

1970 SS Chevelle 396 with a 580 BBC
1974 Corvette Roadster
1990 Corvette ZR-1 Modified #952
1993 Firehawk (His)
2002 Firehawk (Hers)
2008 BMW 335xi DD

1988 S10 Drag Truck - Best ET 10.13@131
Rumbln70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014   #33
Rumbln70SS

It's been a little while since I have posted as it took me a little longer to get the parts installed due to other priorities.

First impression is its much better, although I think I still have a little air in the system as its it still moves forward slightly when putting it into first.

Next steps are to jack it up from the rear, bleed and change the trans fluid.

All in all happy with the result!

1970 SS Chevelle 396 with a 580 BBC
1974 Corvette Roadster
1990 Corvette ZR-1 Modified #952
1993 Firehawk (His)
2002 Firehawk (Hers)
2008 BMW 335xi DD

1988 S10 Drag Truck - Best ET 10.13@131
Rumbln70SS is offline   Reply With Quote