ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 04-26-2020   #21
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Engine Fire??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX '90 ZR1 View Post
Saw this over on CF. Anyone know what happened or if it was a members car?
https://www.copart.com/lot/39842359/Photos
I’m not gonna lie that would make me cry. And then I would buy another one!!!!
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020   #22
32valvZ

PM Sent
[B]1990 #2815[/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]Red/Red[/B][/COLOR]
Ported Plenum & IH (by Pete)
Haibeck Chip
Rebuilt FPR (by Phil)
FIC Injectors
Watson LT Headers
3" Stainless Works exhaust
Lingenfelter Open Air Lid
Bill B Built Transmission
Shifter & C Beam Plates

[FONT=Impact][COLOR=red]1992 [COLOR=black]#[/COLOR] 091[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Impact][COLOR=#ff0000]Red/[COLOR=silver]Gray[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
[B]SOLD[/B]
32valvZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020   #23
Vette Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush91 View Post
And no telling how much water \ foaming agent was doused on there to put it out.

Having had an engine fire (LT1 when the forged crank broke), as well as Brett (L98 when a fuel line O-ring failed), you’ll find that the hardest part is treating all the corrosion from the extinguishant, vs. replacing damaged parts. Nasty stuff, and it gets everywhere. Inside the car as well as all over the drivetrain. Despite quickly being able to pressure wash everything, I still had massive corrosion which resulted in taking my car down to the chassis- Everything had to come out/come off. Clutch looked like it was 30 years old. Rust on everything. Lots of cleaning, sanding, priming, painting.... most every nut, bold, and fitting replaced. Until you really pressure wash out the engine bay, I’d be even be weary of putting it in my garage - again, incredibly nasty stuff.

IMG_5556.JPGIMG_6538.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
91 ZR-1 #2016
95 ZR-1 #21 DRM-600, LPE 385

Last edited by Vette Guy; 04-28-2020 at 11:58 PM.
Vette Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020   #24
secondchance

Hey Mark!

Hope you are making the most out of this crazy time.
I keep a Halguard extinguisher and Halguard claims clean agent. Is this the same kind of agent as you had experienced?

https://www.h3rperformance.com/p4234-hg100c
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020   #25
Vette Guy

Default Engine Fire??

I did not have a Halguard, but the car was equipped with a Lifeline FIA certified 4 liter, 8 nozzle aqueous film forming foam system, and I carry an additional 4lb class B/C extinguisher. When I egressed the car, I didn’t know the extent of the fire and was reluctant to pull the AFFF as it would spray not only the engine, but fill the interior as well. I grabbed the hand-held and went to address the fire, knowing I can grab the second activation pull located outside the car if needed... (it’s also $500 if I pull it). I quickly extinguished the engine fire, but couldn’t get the fire out in the tunnel, which continued to flare up. The AFFF system would not have reached it either. I went through my 4lb handheld, as well as a larger extinguisher provided by a course worker to keep it at bay until the fire trucks arrived. Brett’s fire was before this, and he warned me.... but it was worst than I’d ever imagined it could be. The DEI heat shield did a great job of preventing the fiberglass from catching fire, but the rubber bellows of the ZF-6 kept the fire going until the fire trucks finished it off. They went through quite a few bottles before the big hose was finally used.
IMG_5440.JPGIMG_5441.JPG

Video of the event:
https://youtu.be/gw60JxU-zYQ

So, now I carry an Element fire extinguisher, which is about the size of a flair, and does not make a mess.

Video of Element on Jay Leno’s Garage:
https://youtu.be/oBjXecsF860

Please note, it took me way too much time to realize there was fire vs. coolant, etc., and I’ve since taken the time to practice much quicker egress!

91 ZR-1 #2016

Last edited by Vette Guy; 04-28-2020 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-28-2020   #26
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette Guy View Post
I did not have a Halguard, but the car was equipped with a Lifeline FIA certified 4 liter, 8 nozzle aqueous film forming foam system, and I carry an additional 5lb class B/C extinguisher. When I egressed the car, I didn’t know the extent of the fire and was reluctant to pull the AFFF as it would spray not only the engine, but fill the interior as well. I grabbed the hand-held and went to address the fire, knowing I can grab the second activation pull located outside the car if needed... (it’s also $500 if I pull it). I quickly extinguished the engine fire, but couldn’t get the fire out in the tunnel, which continued to flare up. The AFFF system would not have reached it either. I went through my 5lb handheld, as well as a larger extinguisher provided by a course worker to keep it at bay until the fire trucks arrived. Brett’s fire was before this, and he warned me.... but it was worst than I’d ever imagined it could be. The DEI heat shield did a great job of preventing the fiberglass from catching fire, but the rubber bellows of the ZF-6 kept the fire going until the fire trucks finished it off. They went through quite a few bottles before the big hose was finally used.Attachment 11892Attachment 11893

Video of the event:
https://youtu.be/gw60JxU-zYQ

So, now I carry an Element fire extinguisher, which is about the size of a flair, and does not make a mess.

Video of Element on Jay Leno’s Garage:
https://youtu.be/oBjXecsF860

Please note, it took me way too much time to realize there was fire vs. coolant, etc., and I’ve since taken the time to practice much quicker egress!

Sorry about the mishap.
Now that my Z is 26 years old, I started carrying a bottle of extinguisher just in case. But, not sure if 2.5 lbs bottle can do the job.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020   #27
owwdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette Guy View Post
Having had an engine fire (LT1 when the forged crank broke), as well as Brett (L98 when a fuel line O-ring failed), you’ll find that the hardest part is treating all the corrosion from the extinguishant, vs. replacing damaged parts. Nasty stuff, and it gets everywhere. Inside the car as well as all over the drivetrain. Despite quickly being able to pressure wash everything, I still had massive corrosion which resulted in taking my car down to the chassis- Everything had to come out/come off. Clutch looked like it was 30 years old. Rust on everything. Lots of cleaning, sanding, priming, painting.... most every nut, bold, and fitting replaced. Until you really pressure wash out the engine bay, I’d be even be weary of putting it in my garage - again, incredibly nasty stuff.

Attachment 11890Attachment 11891

Interesting and good information. I am not seeing any sign of foam or extinguishant just yet. Makes me wonder what the fire was put out with.
1991 ZR-1 #1900
Black/Black
owwdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020   #28
Vette Guy

If you don't already see corrosion, you're probably in good shape! Whew!
91 ZR-1 #2016
Old 04-29-2020   #29
dredgeguy

That Element fire extinguisher is very interesting and will fit right into the center console. Appreciate the heads up on this product.

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020   #30
owwdee

Default Engine Fire??

There’s your problem right there. Air duct is collapsing at WOT. Haha
[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4936.jpg (240.5 KB, 18 views)
1991 ZR-1 #1900
Black/Black
owwdee is offline   Reply With Quote