ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-04-2012   #11
brodykelly

Default Re: fidanza flywheel

thanks guys, ill save the cash for balancing, no special tools needed, where do i get the bolts [arp] you mention, do they have a bolt kit LT5 Fidanza specific, if not will they know what quantity and size/length i need. just covering my bases...thanks brody p. ps. the seal you refer to is that the tail shaft seal on tranny??
brodykelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012   #12
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodykelly View Post
thanks guys, ill save the cash for balancing, no special tools needed, where do i get the bolts [arp] you mention, do they have a bolt kit LT5 Fidanza specific, if not will they know what quantity and size/length i need. just covering my bases...thanks brody p. ps. the seal you refer to is that the tail shaft seal on tranny??

Check out the SRP website. Bolts are on this page. $112 but piece of mind for me.
http://www.zr1products.com/#!products

Also the seal we are talking about is the rear main on the motor. It will be exposed once clutch and FW are removed. Good time to R&R it.

I knew there was a reason for not pressuring the pilot bearing. Thanks for the reminder Sccrem
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #13
brodykelly

thanks for the info xfire!!! brody p.
Old 04-06-2012   #14
brodykelly

i spoke with jim jandik yesterday and he recommended going back with the stock clutch setup, i really didn't know if i would like the noise created by the fidanza. jims a great guy, he spent the time to explain in detail what i'm looking forward to w my clutch install, i'll keep the fidanza/blue spring disc i got from Lee as spares for the time being. i can't wait for the parts to arrive from JIM!!! going to try to get the tranny out this weekend [if wife allows] and get the underneath cleaned up in anticipation for mey new clutch to arrive and get her together and on the road again!!! brody p.
Old 04-06-2012   #15
LGAFF

Brody you can send it back if you want and I will give you a full refund and cover shipping...
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #16
A26B

Here's a simple tool I made from bolts to help align the trans during install to avoid ever letting the weight of the trans rest on the clutch disk which can warp the disc. Just screw them into the bellhousing, a couple in the top holes and another on the side or bottom, just enough to have full thread engagement in the bellhousing. Slide the trans in & install one bolt just snug to hold it in place then use your fingers to remove the alignment studs.

1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #17
mgbrv8

You can also use the c member bolts. Hammer taught me that it works really well.

Dave
mgbrv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #18
brodykelly

thanks for the bolt suggestion, good idea!!! no big deal Lee i'll keep the stuff i got from you and after doing my first clutch installation i'll be able to guage what it takes and down the road if i change my mind on the fidanza i'll know what i need to do and have the parts to do it on hand!! thanks to all....let the disassembly begin...hopefully saturday afternoon!!!! brody p.
Old 04-06-2012   #19
Jagdpanzer

Quote:
where do i get the bolts [arp] you mention, do they have a bolt kit LT5 Fidanza specific, if not will they know what quantity and size/length i need. just covering my bases...thanks brody p.
Here is another way to go on the pressure plate bolts which saves some money. Get two packages (5 bolts in each package) of ARP 654-2750 3/8"-16 x 2.75" bolts and one package (10 washers) of ARP 200-8688 0.150" thick Special Purpose Washers. Run a 3/8-16 bottom tap through the Fidanza flywheel theaded holes as deep as you can. Then cut off the end of the Arp bolt to correspond with threaded depth of the flywheel holes.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-654-2750/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-200-8688/
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #20
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
thanks for the info guys...is there any specific tools i'll need for this clutch/flywheel changeout....i got the clutch alignment tool, but the manual shows a tool for removing the pilot...is it Z specific...just wanna have all part and tools ready for the job...no one replied if they would balance the flywheel???? talk to me guys, i'm heading into unchartered waters...but i will succede!!!! with the proper info.... brody p.
AutoZone will rent you the tool for free. YOu pay a security deposit, but if you opt to keep the tool, you can and they keep the deposit. AND, in cases where I wanted a tool that was new, I was able to purchase the tool new from them at the "security deposit" price. AZ has quickly become my favorite local parts store for general "stuff"!

FW bolts...

I believe it was Hammer that suggested I buy the 7/16 x 20s (?) x 1-1/8" grade 8s (I got mine at ACE H/W) and 8 SBC hardened head bolt washers I got from an auto parts store. Use RED Locktite and torque to spec.

Matter of fact, I followed Hammer's advice pretty much to the letter; the FW bolts, and tapping the holes for the PP bolts to accept the longer (I bought the SRP kit - bolts and tap). Works like a friggin charm!

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote