ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-25-2013   #11
LancePearson

Default Re: Removing Radio/Speakers for New Owners

One last thing..there are small bulbs around that face c. board and if you bend them you can make them inoperable as lights for the backlighting of the display which is almost certainly what I've done in my first attempt. He, Dr. Don, and I discussed the radios a little and he told me he was the JVC national audio Engineer as a career and quit to do the radio repair business 13 years ago since national companies don't service what they sell very well. The head unit in our case was made by Delco and the CDM unit was made by Bose as were the speaker amp units and they jealously guard the circuitry diagrams. He said that the front speakers are designed to give good mid base and high sounds and the rear speakers to give good base and mid high sounds as a system. Bose simply got rid of the energy of producing sound we don't want to hear. The amps are 50 amps going into 1 ohm speakers which if you put it into the traditional sound producing design would be the equivilent of about 100 amps of power in each amp. He says that he has taken any number of our corvettes where the owner says the amps are fine, gone through the amp boards on them one by one and the sound improves dramatically like it's a whole new radio and the system is good. Dr. Bose is a genius he says but he hired people to buy capacitors and resisters who bought poorly made (not doped effectively is his term) and they started leeching acid the moment they were put in use and then heat and activity over time makes them all fail. He uses components that do not do that he says and when done you have an outstanding audio system. I keep reading here where they are ot good systems but I suspect that is the reaction to the many components and dealing with the capacitors which fail, etc. Once set up properly he says they are one of the best systems around. I will probably send my unit back to him and he'll go through it and clean it all up for a very minimal fee and redo the lights on the display as well and return it.

He advises never to use anything other than water and a very soft rag like a microfiber rag to wash the radio face as it is an lcd screen just like your laptop and you can use soaps and sprays and turn them cloudy in an instant. Treat it like your laptop and you'll do fine.

If you did not realize it there is a mute sound system built into it as well. it uses the speakers as microphones, identifies some background sounds which are not good for the human ear and sends out sounds that cancel them in the course of using the radio as well as the SCV, Speed Corrected Volume feature.
[COLOR=red][I]'91 ZR-1 #00682[/I][/COLOR]
Net Registry #1461
LancePearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #12
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePearson View Post
By the way, nice blade. What is it? Shrade?

Under the front seat of my TBSS I keep a like new ECK from Viet Nam era...double sided fairly long and fairly lethal blade. Just hope I don't cut myself on it.

Lance
Sorry there Lance; I missed this while looking for another schematic.... didn't mean to ignore ya' there - thanks for your snappics!!!

Schrade SCHF6. QUIET Tool. I like 'Quiet' tools. No - it ain't deer blood.

Sort of an inherited trait from dad Quiet soldiers

and an ECK with an edge - a true edge, is not a toy either... handle WITH CARE - and affirmation.
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 03-01-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #13
LancePearson

Nice knife...the ECK I have is a Mark !V with the long double blade and full tang. Stays very sharp and under the driver's seat of my suv.

All done with radio refurbish and re install...put back together with some sound deadening which did a good job with one white noise irritation when I had the windows up and the top on which is rare but when open, might as well. Stopped some resonance which was magnifying the natural sounds seeping up into the area behind the center console.

eck m4 on the bottom.jpg

send done.jpg
[COLOR=red][I]'91 ZR-1 #00682[/I][/COLOR]
Net Registry #1461
LancePearson is offline   Reply With Quote