ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-30-2010   #11
JThomas

Default Re: CLUTCH - NO MORE!

Good luck with the repair Mike. You'll be back on the road soon!
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #12
MikeG

The wrenches turned today - finally!!

Have held off on doing any updates until something happened. I ended up going with a SPEC 1 clutch kit from Corey Henderson. In this area - SD - they only source for a OEM clutch for the ZR cost more then the one from Corey.

Anyway the clutch is out!!! The flywheel is off to a machine shop and should be back tomorrow and hopefully #135 will be back on the road by Friday.

I will try and attach some photos.

The first one will be of the clutch plate-flywheel side. There is NO material on this side!
The next one is of the clutch plate-press plate side - there is some material, but not much and some is gone completely.
The last is the old and the new side by side.

Hopefully the photos will come out - I not sure how to attach them to this post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clutch-FlyWheel.jpg (58.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Clutch-PressPlate2.jpg (68.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Old-New Plate.jpg (78.1 KB, 30 views)
[FONT=Impact]91 Turquoise Mettalic #135[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact]1HOTZR1:cool: [/FONT]
MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #13
MikeG

Forgot to add all the surprises!!!

The old clutch was not a CenterForce - it was a SPEC clutch. I've sent mail to Corey Henderson to find out what I used to have!

Also the papers that came with the car said, "Alloy Single Mass Flywheel" - well that turned out to be a GM flywheel, a single magnetic casting. Cast Iron, I guess. Anyway it's heavy!

I will now have to track down the former owner and find out what happened to the CenterForce clutch and the alloy frlywheel. He gave me all the papers (receipts) from when he purchased it. The last (and only) receipt is from DRM for the flywheel and the receipt for the CenterForce clutch.

Can they morph under heat and pressure?
Old 08-13-2010   #14
Hammer

Talking Re: CLUTCH - NO MORE!

Hi Mike,
Looks to me like you got your usage out of that clutch. Certainly glad it did go south on the BG trip.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #15
MikeG

Use it I did. I'm glad it fail when it did and where it did. On Wed, Jul 14th - heading to get ready for working registration for the Black Hills Corvette Classic, I'm thinking I need to check this out one more time - I was signed up for Drags Thurs night as one of the events for the Classic. So I roll around the corner onto the 4 lane road heading to Billions Chervolet (our club sponsor) and at a roll of about 2 mph I nailed the throttle - clutch hooked up will full power, all the way to rev limiter. Went to shift into 2nd and it wouldn't go. Coasting down I blipped the throttle and got it into 3rd. Released the clutch and no output - just coasting. I blipped the throttle again and got it into 2nd, released the clutch and could just feel the faintest bit of power - enough to get it into Billions parking lot.

I had a break in registration later in the morning, went out fired it up, put it in 1st, let out the clutch and went absolutely NO WHERE - not one inch.

I sent Corey a picture of the pressure plate - had SPEC sticker on and gave him the p/n. He wrote back to say SPEC hasn't used yellow on it pressure plates for at least 7 years! In looking at the clutch plate yesterday after everything was all button up and a test drive, I came back and looked at the clutch plate one last time and noticed a "REMF" stamp on - why would any one put a reman clutch plate in a ZR-1

It's working fine, just back from a 30 mile trip (only 470 to go!). Yesterday it felt real easy to press down - like stepping on a marshmellow - tonight the pressure that I was used to was the same - so even a Stage 1 takes some muscle in stop and go!

Thanks again Guys for the links that were passed on - the pocket book wasn't going to handle much more then what it ended up costing me.

Later to you all, Mike
Old 08-15-2010   #16
JThomas

Congrats Mike!
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010   #17
MikeG

Thanks Joe - have now got the 500 miles break in miles on the clutch and all set for an autocross next week-end near by. It's nice to have the monster back on the road again. Corey was a big help in getting met he clutch!

Later, Mike