ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > OFF TOPIC

Old 08-29-2010   #1
Geof180

Default Fake CE LT4?

while out at the local chevy dealer yesterday admiring their collection of new Grand Sports and Carbon Z06 coated with super sonic blue (slick color in person BTW), i noticed they had a 96 CE on the used lot.. naturally i go to check it out..

it has LT4 badging all over it.. and they are even advertising it with the LT4 engine - but it is an auto car.. after checking the sticker which shows the equipped options, it says RPO LT1.. hmm.. and it even has the 8K rpm tach ala LT4 motor..

if you are just looking at the engine bay, it sure looks like an LT4..

how much work would be involved in actually transplanting an LT4 into a car with an auto tranny? and then replacing the gauge cluster to reflect the higher revving powerplant...?

i was under the impression the 4L60E in factory trim doesn't play well with the LT4.. as in, it's not a simple plug-n-play operation..

i know of one 96 configured this way - you've prolly seen pictures too.. the license plate reads "AUTO LT4"...

if this car is the real deal - pretty cool.. because the transformation looks flawless...

but if someone was trying to be something they're not -

flattery i guess? same thing with sticking ZR-1 badges on any other car...?

if you are in the dayton area, go check it out over at jeff schmitt chevrolet in fairborn..

here's a link.. http://www.jeffschmittchevy.com/Vehi...ails/761775963

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]1994 torch red on light beige ZR-1 #107 [/SIZE][SIZE=1](thanks Nick)[/SIZE][/FONT]
Geof180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #2
Hog

Default Re: Fake CE LT4?

I wish it was close, I could pull the PCM calibration and tell you what was up.
LT4 into an auto car would be a bolt in procedure. If the car was an auto LT1 car with an LT4 retrofitted, the care would start and run as is, but wouldnt have the 6412 rpm LT4 rev limit or LT4 specific timing/fueling specs. The injector constant would be a bit off as the LT4 uses teh 28 lb/hr injectors. The stock LT1/auto shiftpoints and other trans parameters woudlnt be optimized for LT4 use, but would still operate just fine.

LT1 rev limit 5800, LT4 6412.

IMO someone has installed the red intake, and installed the 8000rpm tach. Roller rockers only came on LT4, but are easily installed.

I have even heard that the 33 1997 LT4 Firehawks and the approx 100 LT4 Camaro use the stock LT1 calibration. I can personally not confirm nor deny this.

peace
Hog
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010   #3
Aurora40

Default Re: Fake CE LT4?

Supposedly you can look in the oil filler cap and see the head casting #. Swapping in an LT4 seems like a lot of work and cost for little gain, but it could have been done back when the cars were newer.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote