ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-06-2010   #21
FULLPWR

Default Re: Coolant

BINGO !! too much coolant no water, i thought i was being slick with all coolant....thanks

i've seen that auto parts checker way back but never imagined i would need it, im getting senile.....I'm getting the test strips and coolant checker today and some distilled water. I had ck'd for debris and removed some paper and leaves.. just need to put that screen in like tom showed me.
houston in summer stays hot as hell so i just worried if its slightly over now it will be even worse in dead summer.

appreciate the info... real informative learned something again.
FULLPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010   #22
scottfab

Default Re: Coolant

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida View Post
But you didn't tell the poster that fact in your original post and if he followed your advice, he wouldn't have added a bottle which would be bad for his LT-5.

There is evidence to suggest Dexcool is bad. There are tons of lawsuits. Some say its mixing the two types, some say air pockets, some say it eats the gasket. Bottom line, there are no problems with the green stuff. You want to be a risk taker or an "open minded" person as you call it then that is your choice. However, the member should be informed of specific risks.
It's not bizarre equations, actually they are very useful.

Where is the site on the Atomic Mass?

I've had my ZR-1 for 10 years. Never had a problem with overheating. I had my tune changed in the last few years and while mods were being made, both fans now trigger at 205.

An aftermarket radiator is fine. You seem to think I feel you always have to follow the manufacturers recommendation which is not the case.

Bucking the trend is fine but giving people accurate information is also important. By suggesting you use Dexcool and at the ratio you suggest, I don't think its good advice. You have your opinion and I have mine, now the member can do their own research and make an educated decision.

Your corsa exhaust didn't go past me and I don't have a stock exhaust either. Once again, comparing a vital lubricant to a Corsa exhaust, radiator etc is irrelevant and a silly argument.

Why use Dexcool and change it regularly? It's more expensive and its whole claim to fame is extended drain intervals.

If you have regular drain intervals why not go with the inexpensive approved green stuff which carries no risk.

I'm glad you feel special and I'm sure you feel I'm being a smart ***. In reality, by making that comment I'm saying to each their own.

However, I always try to provide accurate information to other members. I just don't see any upsides to your using Dexcool and I see downside.
I am glad you try to provide accurate information.
Your posts are confusing. By not correctly quoting what I typed you're creating confusion for the reader.
And how many exactly is "a ton of lawsuits"? Is that accurate?

There is evidence to suggest that silica crystals are bad for the water pump. (Green stuff)
Changing often is the key with both coolants but worth it. The expensive Dexcool is a silly argument. Only if you buy it at a department store is it more expensive. And only if you mix it at the unnecessary 50/50.
I'm not even suggesting to use Dexcool. I just resent the hysteria being promoted. The sky is not falling. The suites I am aware of relate to contamination and organic growth. The mixture suggested may be the key.
Also I am suggesting that not all manufacturer recommendations are still the best for our cars. You seem to agree with that.
Yes, you have your opinion. That is obvious. By suggesting 50/50 and the green stuff I think is narrow and not open to better solutions.
I use 20/80 with a water pump lube because I don't live in Alaska.
Using non manufacturing exhaust as you do makes the point that just because it is "spec" does not make it automatically the best argument.
But I think you saw that already.
OK, I am done. If you feel the need to have the last word. Be my guest.
Oh, and the adding the screen to protect the radiator that was mentioned
can be found at:
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_radiatorscreen.htm
and the link to Atomic Mass that was missing is at:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4516596_calc...omic-mass.html
it was inaccurate to omit it.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote