ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-09-2010   #1
Demps

Default Trailer Winch

Not one of the Corvette Babes but...

Need some advice from some of the experienced folks. I would like to install a winch in my enclosed trailer to pull cars into it. Anyone done this? What type of winch do you have? How did you install it: attachment and electrical? Any cable guides on the floor and arch?
thanks,
Ted
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010   #2
flyin ryan

Default Re: Trailer Winch

5000 LBS. Superwinch. Mine comes with a cordless remote, same as a Key-Fob that new cars have, that way you can walk it in if you need some minor steering input. If you mount the winch at the front of the trailer, straight on, don't need anything, just your hook & cable, no guides. Some guys mount them at 90º on the L/H (Drivers side wall) then use a pulley/snatch block in the floor, sort of in front of the license plate, pulley can stay mounted in/on the floor or some have it set-up for quick removeal, then it's out of the way when not in use. You have any Electrical in the trailer already...? Breaker box &/or Elec. prep.?
Old 01-09-2010   #3
Demps

Thanks Ryan. The trailer has lights inside and outside. There is power somewhere. I'll have to crawl under and see if I can splice into it without causing any harm. Is there any quick release mounting hardware available from Superwinch or do I need to fabricate it? Ted
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010   #4
Jagdpanzer

Here are a couple of good looking Hooter trailer wenches to choose from and they can be mounted any way you want.
Jagdpanzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010   #5
Jagdpanzer

Belay my last post.
I see your question is about winches not wenches.
Jagdpanzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010   #6
flyin ryan

Best thing Ted would be to go on some trailer sites/forums & look around, or even look at how some 'New' trailers are being done. Picture is worth a thousand words. I think that'll help you get your head around it the best. For the pulley I don't think Superwinch will have anything. It's usually left to the trailer manuf. or who ever is installing the winch. Warn makes good winches too. Shouldn't be too hard once you start searching around. I know there is some pictures on YellowBullet but you can't search without signing up.
Old 01-09-2010   #7
RICHARD TILL

i have a trailer nearly like the one in the above picture. the 12 volt winch is mounted on 3/8th plate steel just in front of the bed. the battery is in a metal box in front of the winch. if its not mounted sturdy it`ll rip out quickly and without much warning. when hooked to a heavy truck the winch really goes into labor when the front wheels start up the ramp. a few months back i thought i was going to have to buy a new one and found a good selection on e-bay. sams club had the winch i would have bought for around $400. shipping would have eaten the savings on the ones off the bay. heres another interesting note. my winch has a name on it that i cannot even pronounce and made in china in big letters. i robbed parts off a ramsey winch to fix it. same darn winch.
RICHARD TILL is offline   Reply With Quote