ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-02-2009   #1
bldavis11

Default Hood release catching

Fellas,

Been a while since I've posted... that whole deployment thing. Anyway I just can't stand to deal with the other forum, but know that I have read information over there about this.

My hood release has gotten much more difficult to pull. Over the past 1-2 months I now have to apply gentle upward pressure on the hood while pulling the release to actually get the hood open. I DO NOT want to deal with a broken cable.

What do I need to look into doing to get this straightened out?

Best,
Doc
bldavis11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #2
secondchance

Default Re: Hood release catching

First try silicone grease on conical piece that gets inserted into the latch (shaft w/ conical end is attached to the hood). Apply silicone grease on the head.

I would apply grease to the latch on the bottom also.

If you have the same problem after these pieces are greased, then I would assume spring surrounding the piece on the hood has compressed over time and replace the spring. I think most, if not all, corvette parts mail order joints (Corvette Central, Mid America, etc...) carry these pieces.

They also carry stainless steel braided lines w/ loops that gets attached to the latch and routed to windshield/vent area so that in the event of snapped cable you can grab the loop w/ hooked tool of sort and pull to release. I think its called emmergency hood release cable or something like that.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009   #3
tomtom72

Default Re: Hood release catching

Doc, I was having the same issue awhile back w/my 90. Secondchance has the grease points for ya. I have just one other thing to look at before the springs being shot is the verdict.

The attachment point of the cable to the latch arm. Look that there is almost no slack in the cable. There is an adjustment nut, it's plastic so be careful with it, where the cable shield terminates at the receiver. Just try to get 90% of the slack out of the cable, if there is any. When you adjust it make it tight till the latch starts to move from wide open, and then go back a bit till the latch arm doesn't move.

That isn't the cure for bad springs, but it'll buy some time. If the springs are truly used up the release mechanism will operate with almost no resistance when you pull the release handle. At that point you know you have everything clean & greased up well. If the hood is slow to pop up at that point, then it's the springs in my HO.

I cleaned up all the dirt and lubed and adjusted all that on my hood because the effort at the handle was getting way too stiff. All that helped the situation, but as I said my hood pops up a bit slow. I keep meaning to read that section is the FSM to see if the springs have an adjustment or if new springs are needed. If I get to it today, I will post up.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote