ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1s and ZR-1 Parts For Sale/Wanted

Old 01-09-2009   #1
RKC

Default WTB: 1990 OEM Prom

Still trying to solve my emissions issues here in CA. The dyno test show excess NOX at both the 15 mph and 25 mph tests. I'm about 200 ppm over at both speeds. Not too bad. I have a modded chip so it likely has a leaner fuel curve than the stock chip, so that may be the source of my problem.
RKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009   #2
TFENT

Default Re: WTB: 1990 OEM Prom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
Still trying to solve my emissions issues here in CA. The dyno test show excess NOX at both the 15 mph and 25 mph tests. I'm about 200 ppm over at both speeds. Not too bad. I have a modded chip so it likely has a leaner fuel curve than the stock chip, so that may be the source of my problem.

I can lend you mine if you wish. contact me off the board. I am in Poway (San Diego)

Tom
tom@tfent.com
TFENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009   #3
RKC

TFENT, once again thanks for the offer. I managed to get about the last one at a GM dealership in Maine. It arrived the same day that I saw Callaway selling them at half the price. I'm glad to have it anyways.
Old 01-20-2009   #4
phrogs

I could have sworn I head form someone that emisions in cali had changed so that a stock prom wouldnt allow you to pass the sniff test. so it had to be reprogramed so it could pass.

Currently own

90 ZR-1 #845 DRM 500 engine package

90 #226 Parts car Hit me up if you need anything.
phrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009   #5
TFENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogs View Post
I could have sworn I head form someone that emisions in cali had changed so that a stock prom wouldnt allow you to pass the sniff test. so it had to be reprogramed so it could pass.
My 90 #775 pasted Cal smog a few weeks ago on the stock prom

Quote:
TFENT, once again thanks for the offer. I managed to get about the last one at a GM dealership in Maine. It arrived the same day that I saw Callaway selling them at half the price. I'm glad to have it anyways.
No problem any time. I have had sooooooooooooo much help from everyone here I was glad to offer.
TFENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009   #6
phrogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFENT View Post
My 90 #775 pasted Cal smog a few weeks ago on the stock prom

No problem any time. I have had sooooooooooooo much help from everyone here I was glad to offer.

I dont doubt it Im just trying to say I remember someone with a ZR-1 had a problem and that is what they had said.

If you pass then I guess it might have been that particular car? I remember they said they had passed the last time and with no changes they failed the sniff test?

no that im saying anything but how do you know you have a stock prom for sure. There was more than one prom for the 90 and you can reprogram stock proms you just need the equipment to do it.

not that yours has been but the only way to know for sure is if you owned the car since new.

I have a couple of stock proms here from cars I parted out and I dont even know if they are really stock anymore know what I mean.

Currently own

90 ZR-1 #845 DRM 500 engine package

90 #226 Parts car Hit me up if you need anything.

Last edited by phrogs; 01-21-2009 at 02:58 AM.
phrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009   #7
RKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogs View Post
Actually, I read an article by Hib Halverson that stated how a ZR-1 owner had failed for NOx here in Califonia despite having virtually the same numbers he had two years prior. Apparently, in 2003 CA tightened the requirements for NOx by lowering them approximately 200 ppm. I would have been very close to passing in 2002. I don't have the numbers in front of me right now, but at 15 mph my NOx was around 880 and at 25 mph went up to 950. In 2002, this would have been good enough, but now both numbers need to be in the low 700's.

While I've put in a stock prom now, I now think the basis of my problem is the cooling problem. I've got at least one leak, and a couple of hoses seem to be passing coolant from some point. Really difficult to tell without taking things apart. Even on a cool day (50-60 degrees), my car is constantly flirting with 260 once it gets to operating temperature. The smog test takes about 15 minutes and the cooling system is maxed out by the time it's over.
Old 01-21-2009   #8
Jeffvette

Quote:
Even on a cool day (50-60 degrees), my car is constantly flirting with 260 once it gets to operating temperature. The smog test takes about 15 minutes and the cooling system is maxed out by the time it's over.
Clean your radiator and ac condenser out. Install a fan switch and run both fans continually.

What sucks is lowering the requirements on cars that even when brand new would have been over the current limit.