ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-14-2008   #11
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Hey-hey-HEY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter200
I have NO affiliation, Art Wong had NO affiliation, Ron Ashcraft has NO affiliation, Dwight E. has NO affiliation. Both Jim Van Dorn and Hib Halverson are two well respected names in ZR-1 history and knowledge so why not ask them which they prefer. Both sing the praises of Red Line oil.
Take this for what it's worth but don't make blatant statements that you don't know as true.
A misunderstanding is afoot...!

I should have explained that my "Yep" was simply in agreement that it was doubtful that (in effect) regardless of the high-end oils used, it is perhaps unlikely to experience an oil-related failure.

I'm as I write this so don't take offense; your point is well taken. But, (for fun) to throw your condescending(?) barb back atcha, you might consider that consensus is not science. I.e., I don't give a "rats ***" how many or who agrees on this or that; "truth is where you find it!" (author unknown) Without facts, such claims are subjective at best and is simply supposition w/o real science to back it up. So, with all due respect to you and those you named and others as well, their opinions are only scientifically valid to the extent they can be supported by particular demonstrated results and comparisions in a controlled test. Without it, to refer to some consensus of individuals as proof, (in scientific terms) is blatant heresay as well...is my point. By the same token, that is not to say you/they are incorrect!

Like I said: truth is where you find it. If you've got some valid test results and comparisions, bring 'em on. It would be interesting to see a comparision of AMO to Redline products. But, in the end it might be pickin' the fly specks out of the pepper - both may well exceed lubrication requirements of the LT5 in most situations. So, it may well be true that with either oil it is probably unlikely I will suffer a oil-related failure (in normal circumstances).

My fault for my flippant "yep".

P.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #12
Nick

Default Re: Hey-hey-HEY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman
A misunderstanding is afoot...!

I should have explained that my "Yep" was simply in agreement that it was doubtful that (in effect) regardless of the high-end oils used, it is perhaps unlikely to experience an oil-related failure.

I'm as I write this so don't take offense; your point is well taken. But, (for fun) to throw your condescending(?) barb back atcha, you might consider that consensus is not science. I.e., I don't give a "rats ***" how many or who agrees on this or that; "truth is where you find it!" (author unknown) Without facts, such claims are subjective at best and is simply supposition w/o real science to back it up. So, with all due respect to you and those you named and others as well, their opinions are only scientifically valid to the extent they can be supported by particular demonstrated results and comparisions in a controlled test. Without it, to refer to some consensus of individuals as proof, (in scientific terms) is blatant heresay as well...is my point. By the same token, that is not to say you/they are incorrect!

Like I said: truth is where you find it. If you've got some valid test results and comparisions, bring 'em on. It would be interesting to see a comparision of AMO to Redline products. But, in the end it might be pickin' the fly specks out of the pepper - both may well exceed lubrication requirements of the LT5 in most situations. So, it may well be true that with either oil it is probably unlikely I will suffer a oil-related failure (in normal circumstances).
Well said.
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #32 - lapsed...
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #13
carter200

Default Re: Amsoil "AMO"...which one?

I appologize to all as I get a bit one sided when it comes to oil and in the true perspective it's all up to the individual. Nick, you've always been a good, straight shooter and I value your opinion as I do all of you.
I should NOT have singled out Marc so please make up your own minds and I'll do the same. We are all brother of the LT5/ZR-1 and all proud of it, too. Let's all just get along

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #14
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter200
I appologize to all as I get a bit one sided when it comes to oil and in the true perspective it's all up to the individual. Nick, you've always been a good, straight shooter and I value your opinion as I do all of you.
I should NOT have singled out Marc so please make up your own minds and I'll do the same. We are all brother of the LT5/ZR-1 and all proud of it, too. Let's all just get along
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #32 - lapsed...
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #15
PhillipsLT5

10W-40
100% Synthetic
API SL/CF,CI-4 Plus
Probably a special order from a dealer except Marc
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #16
blackjack

mark probably sell amsoil for the same reason i sell it in my shop......cause i like the product;and,like me,he probably doesnt care if he sells 10 cases,or a hundred...after opening so many harley engines,i can see the difference in wear amsoil makes...i can sell any oil i want,but i trust amsoil more than other brands...red line is probably just as good,but is hard to get around here
bj
91/1735
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008   #17
karterdon

Just as an FYI - Mobil-1 sysnthetic became factory fill on all ZR1's beginning in 1992 and since GM had to stand behind the engine warranty - Mobil-1 is probably a pretty good oil. As often as we all change are oil - I don't think any of us have much to worry about if you are using any quality brand name oil under normal conditions - If you have Modified your engine - Then the research for a higher quality oil for a heaver engine demand / load's - Like racing, Turbo's, Nitros etc. is in one's best interest.

And so the debate continue's !!!!

Don Yoakem
91-#267 Dark Red Met.
karterdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #18
tomtom72

Quote:
Originally Posted by karterdon
Just as an FYI - Mobil-1 sysnthetic became factory fill on all ZR1's beginning in 1992 and since GM had to stand behind the engine warranty - Mobil-1 is probably a pretty good oil. As often as we all change are oil - I don't think any of us have much to worry about if you are using any quality brand name oil under normal conditions - If you have Modified your engine - Then the research for a higher quality oil for a heaver engine demand / load's - Like racing, Turbo's, Nitros etc. is in one's best interest.

And so the debate continue's !!!!

Don Yoakem
91-#267 Dark Red Met.
Where's that 'I agree' thing when ya need it? I just worry about the ZDDP package with respect to lifter wear. As a group we proly waste more lubricants than most people use. I know I proly qualify as a waster of lubes. I know that tossing gear & trans oil out w/less than 10k on'em is proly wasteful but that seems cheap insurance...at least to me.

I also don't think I've ever actually made it to 5k miles on a M1 change either.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote