ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-14-2023   #1
rufcar

Default 1990 E Brake handle

Today when I pulled the ebrake up it stayed up. The only way I could finally get it to release was to push my index finger down inside appox 1/2" and while holding the button down inside i used my left hand to pull up until it released and while still holding that button in deep lowered the handle all the way with my left hand. THAT SAID WTF? is the spring in the button broken and not allowing it to go up all the way? if so how do i get it apart to repair? Tkx Jim f
rufcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023   #2
rufcar

Default Re: 1990 E Brake handle

I was able to remove the one screw and look inside. It was all the way its supposed to be. I checked spring tension and pad location, all is well but, why was is short? I used part of a small brass brush plastic handle and made a 3/8" extension. Crazy glued it on while holding and operating the button so it would clear. An hour later it all worked like a charm.
I love whenever I answer my own questions! lol
Old 04-15-2023   #3
ram_g

Sounds like you have improvised a solution, but here's what happens and how to fix it without gluing anything extraneous on.

Basically the mechanism of the handle does not change/move but the external plastic grip of the handle slips slightly and moves upward/outward. When that happens it is like the button at the end has to be depressed more. In reality it has to be depressed the same amount, but the grip has moved so the button has to be pressed further inside the grip.

The fix is simply to take a soft sided mallet and give a few whacks to the handle on the "nose" of the grip - basically where the button is. The mallet doesn't hurt the button any but reseats the plastic grip to where it should be on the handle. Then the relative orientation of the grip and the button is restored and everything works fine again.
ram_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023   #4
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_g View Post
Sounds like you have improvised a solution, but here's what happens and how to fix it without gluing anything extraneous on.

Basically the mechanism of the handle does not change/move but the external plastic grip of the handle slips slightly and moves upward/outward. When that happens it is like the button at the end has to be depressed more. In reality it has to be depressed the same amount, but the grip has moved so the button has to be pressed further inside the grip.

The fix is simply to take a soft sided mallet and give a few whacks to the handle on the "nose" of the grip - basically where the button is. The mallet doesn't hurt the button any but reseats the plastic grip to where it should be on the handle. Then the relative orientation of the grip and the button is restored and everything works fine again.
Although this has never happened to me since I got my first C4 in 84, what ram_g wrote makes perfect sense. Good to know.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023   #5
rufcar

I dont know why I didnt think of that. I love when someone knows the exact answer. What I did is completely reversible too. Thank you
Old 04-17-2023   #6
rufcar

went out last evening and using a piece of wood and a small mallet i tapped it back over 3/4" Now all is well. The piece I made and glued on broke off nice and clean with ease! Thanks so much your your suggestion!
Old 04-18-2023   #7
ram_g

Cool! Thanks for following up and confirming.
ram_g is offline   Reply With Quote